Fishing with only a light (video link)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL
Awesome video. Never tried that while nightfishing, I maybe should combine two of my hobbies. :clap:

Sidenote, does anyone know what kind of fish that was, and was the guy speaking hungarian?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow that is crazy, but i would love to see there faces when the fish and game officer catches them and gives the a huge fine. :ohgeez:stupid people prbably dont even know the local laws.:ohgeez:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
benchmade_boy said:
wow that is crazy, but i would love to see there faces when the fish and game officer catches them and gives the a huge fine. :ohgeez:stupid people prbably dont even know the local laws.:ohgeez:

Well, do you know the local law wherever theese guys are?:)

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:
Well, do you know the local law wherever theese guys are?:)
no i dont but i am good freinds with our local game&fish and i know the laws and unless they dont have fish&game officers where they live than they would be in trouble belive me i know when the neibors next to the lake or river call for a disturbance cuz some idiot is shining a spotlight wich i may include is illeagle in many places to use for getting game then the fish and game will go to there house and find 100 of fish wich is illeagal to have over a certain amount they would most likly get they lesence taken away for over fishing and most people that do stupid things likew this dont even have a fishing lisence to begin with.

sorry for my rant it just makes my blood boil when people poach or over fish

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm just implying that we dont know where this footage is from, could be from anywhere in the world, and laws are very different. Can't always assume that everything is like where youre located yourself...
But I agree about poaching and overfishing. But imho commercial fishing does A LOT more damage than occasional sportfishers.

Waffle

Newly Enlightened
They may not be breaking the law where they are from. With fish that plentiful it may be legal.

If I was poaching fish I wouldn't show my face on camera.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely incredible video. Does anyone know what language they're speaking??? Sound sorta like Spanish or maybe Italian; but, it could be something else - I'm no linguist.

not2bright

Enlightened
I am no expert on this but I did see a local news report about the Asian Carp having made their way to Missouri. They are taking over many rivers in the south and progressing northward. I believe they are considered a threat to the enviroment and probably have no laws governing their catch. These fish fly out of the water when they get excited by the sounds of a propeller in the water, or apparently bright lights at night.

Here is a Google on Asian Carp:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=asian+carp+&btnG=Search

BTW, I bet the guys in the video are from Louisiana. The news report I watched stated that the fish are the worst there.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright said:
I am no expert on this but I did see a local news report about the Asian Carp having made their way to Missouri. They are taking over many rivers in the south and progressing northward. I believe they are considered a threat to the enviroment and probably have no laws governing their catch. These fish fly out of the water when they get excited by the sounds of a propeller in the water, or apparently bright lights at night.

Here is a Google on Asian Carp:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=asian+carp+&btnG=Search

BTW, I bet the guys in the video are from Louisiana. The news report I watched stated that the fish are the worst there.

True, it looks like some kind of carp fish, but if we're going to identify location by language(which might give a false conclusion anyway), it doesn't sound like anything english? My guess would be portugese (brazil maybe?) or hungarian.

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
From the Google Video's comments (take as true, or not):

Language it's portuguese and seems to be somewhere in Brasil (yes with S). The fish called Matrinchã is founded on amazonas and pantanal.
This phenomen happens once in a year and is related to the reprodution.Piracema.

gessner17

Enlightened
They look like sheephead or Drum to me, I have caught them around here. They are both powerful jumpers and thrive at night.

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
The language is Brazilian Portuguese, a variation of the original Portuguese from Portugal, and that's the Brazilian official language. The phenomena, as wholeflaffer well said, is the "Piracema", that occurs in Brazil from November to February (that's the time of the spawning of fishes). But fishing with lights can be done NOT only in Piracema's period, but in every single night of the year, depending on river/lake you are fishing on it. Actually, Brazilian fishermen from the regions where you can do it, uses to catch some fish that way to use them as baits to the big ones. I already did it myself for a few seconds, and it's truly amazing.
*Notes: Fishing on Piracema's period is forbidden in Brazil. The name of the fish they are catching is "Matrinxã", a delicious fish. In my State, where we have some big rivers where the fish population is amazing, the minimal size to keep a Matrinxã that you got is 30cm, so that guys are disrespecting the law.
The name "Matrinchã" (with "ch" instead "x") is from a city that has that name. Actually the city of Matrinchã is about 200 miles from my city.
We, Brazilian, write "Brasil" instead "Brazil". That's weird, huh?

Well, that's it. I hope I helped, and when you come to Brazil, I can be your guide...:thumbsup:

A hug!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks A LOT for sorting that out! Brazil looks like an interesting place to live. :)