Arc AAA LE worth extra $$ over non-LE?

Duffy

Newly Enlightened
OK, now you've done it. I'm drooling over the Arc AAA everybody recommended, but I see that there's a Limited Edition (which seems hard to keep in stock). Is the extra brightness worth the large premium over the non-LE? The harder finish is nice, but not a big selling point for me.

Thanks,
Duffy

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
OK, now you've done it. I'm drooling over the Arc AAA everybody recommended, but I see that there's a Limited Edition (which seems hard to keep in stock). Is the extra brightness worth the large premium over the non-LE? The harder finish is nice, but not a big selling point for me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Functionally and feature wise, presently, no. When the Arc AAA becomes more to you than simply a convenient well built light, and it will, the need and appreciation for the LE will come. At that time the extra price will seem reasonable.

Presently a limited number of Arc AAA lights called the CPF Member Edition is being assembled and preparing to ship to the ones that placed their orders in time to get one of the 110 exclusive blue-bodied exclusives, with laser engravings indicating it's special nature. Functionally, it does no more than the typical black Arc AAA. To the ones that have developed the special relationship between light and man, it does more.

In answer to your question, it depends on the extent of your addiction,
wink.gif
so to speak.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hey Duffy-I think the standard arc-aaa now offers the same level of anodizing as the L.E..Type 3 I think.So hardness should be the same.
troy

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Duffy...

Welcome to the CPF.

I`d urge you buy an Arc LE if you can still find a place to get one. They won`t be produced again for quite some time...if ever.

It`s a "must have" flashlight for a flashaholic. And even if you`re not a flashaholic (though since you registered with us you probably are one
grin.gif
), it`s still a great light to have.

Best wishes to you...and again, welcome aboard!

Darell

Flashaholic
As mentioned by others: The LE does NOT have a brighter LED than the current standard AAA. It is a slightly different tint, making it seem just a bit "whiter." But the brightness rank is the same, as is the anodizing hardness.

I have several of both, and have twice as many standards as LEs if that helps you at all. You might as well begin your collection with the cheaper, easier-to-come-by standard light, just to make sure you WANT to become addicted.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARe you sure about the brighthest? Both I and [edited] Doug / Quickbeam have mesured the LE as being about 15% brighter

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Darell. I've only bought 1 standard AAA & 4 LE's. The brightest appearing one I've had was the standard model. I almost wish I hadn't given it for Christmas. I bought the LE's because of the finish & the great price Willam @ TTS was selling them for. There is absloutely nothing "2nd place" about the standard AAA. TX
Edit: The brightness of the standard AAA wasn't measured, just "preceived brightness".

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
ARe you sure about the brighthest? Both I and [edited] Doug / Quickbeam have mesured the LE as being about 15% brighter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure that the LEDs are ranked for identical brightness: SB1 and SB2. The first standards were using R rank LEDs, and those were certainly not as bright as the S.

There is variation in brightness though, even from one LE to another and one standard to another. But they are ranked the same, so either one could be a bit brighter than the other.

Have you measured the newer standard?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
There is absloutely nothing "2nd place" about the standard AAA. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you, TX, but the LE still, IMHO, has a higher "fun quotient".

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I must aggree as my ratio of LE to standard is 4 to 1. But I don't think someone should pass up a great light just because they can't get the LE. TX

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Hey, I must aggree as my ratio of LE to standard is 4 to 1. But I don't think someone should pass up a great light just because they can't get the LE. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TX...

Being a charter member of the Ever Redundant Mutual Agreement Society (ERMAS)...I again agree with you!

(But Duffy...if you can find one, buy the Arc LE!)
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
ARe you sure about the brighthest? Both I and [edited] Doug / Quickbeam have mesured the LE as being about 15% brighter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Something else I thought of that might enter into this: It is possible that the measuring equipment you used is more sensitive to the tint of the LE. In that case, the LE would appear brighter to the test equipment. Possibly?

@Duffy -

But again - the standard AAA is no down-stream light. Look at it this way: If you buy the standard and like it as much as we think you will, you'll want to buy another anyway. At that point you can go on your LE hunt. If you buy it and you DON'T like it, then you're not out as much money. Sound reasonable?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as brightness, the specs on the Arc page seems to indicate the new yellow led at 8000 mcd is now the brightest. Did I get it right? I think so............

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey everyone, my first post. I have taken the liberty of reading every single post that has to do with the Arc flashlight. That is last counting nearing 1000 if not more. I first came to the forum to be able to get the CPF edition. Basically an ARC LE with more sentimental value to every CPF member. However once I started reading the CPF forum, I got hooked. I'm a spoiled little 16 year old, so the CPF Edition, was a no brainier, any new ones that come out I'd probably get, and probably the UV and the Infrared. But hey, even spoiled kids have to allocate their money. Great site, and I am thoroughly impressed with ARC and their interaction with the forum.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Alexhuf...welcome aboard!

With the kind of effort you`ve put into reading the prior posts, you`ll do extremely well here.

And every CPF`er is at least a little spoiled...by expecting good flashlights.

Best wishes to you, and have fun on the CPF!