Dear Fenix, 2 stage L1P-CE please

not2bright

Enlightened
I like the output/runtime of my L1D-CE, but prefer the size of the L1P.

I really need only two levels of light, like the low and high settings of the L1D-CE. I would give up the medium level, SOS, and strobe to have the smaller profile.

If they could package a a two stage, current regulated Cree/SSC in to a L1P form I believe they would have another great seller.

Thoughts?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both L1P and L1D are clickies. I would believe the size difference is due to the fact that Crees needs deeper reflectors, and perhaps also the added circuitry. But I'm with the original poster about making a L1D with only high and low, that is chosen with bezel twist, and a momentary on clickie!

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think the slight size difference is a big deal if the Cree's reflector geometry requires it, but I'd pay to get rid of the distracting extra modes. Just low and high (maximum) please. No medium, no strobe, no SOS. Same with the L0D CE, remove the extra junk and you get a much better flashlight, just like cutting Jar Jar Binks out of Star Wars made it a better movie.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Is It really a big difference?

We should be happy for what He have. Multi Stage L1DCE on a Single AA battery! :rock:

When other people are still using their maglites.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the big deal with having the extra modes on the L1-CE? You can already operate it as a two stage flashlight just like the L1T. If you don't like the extra modes, just don't do the extra steps needed to use them. The same goes for those that want single stage only; just click on and click off.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont know about other people, but I actually use my lights for signalling from time to time. And that is kind of impossible with the LxD UI as it is now. Getting the strobe or SOS after a few clicks. Not a big deal, but it's there. Would be nice if Fenix made a stripped budget version of the LxD, since I wouldnt use SOS, medium and strobe anyway(strobe would maybe be fun on the other hand :) ). And then there also is the notion far back in my head, that the more complicated something is, the less reliable it is.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with not2bright. I would love another simple 2 stage fenix light. Basically, an L1T with a SSC and a low of about 3-5 lumens and a high of about 45-50 lumens on 1 AA would be great.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the L1D isn't for sending morse code, except for the SOS mode. As far as the circuitry failing due to complexity, I haven't read any posts about the UI going out.

BTW, if the original poster meant a two-stage clicky only (no bezel switch), then your going to have folks who want it to come on high first, and those that want it to start on low first. The current arrangement satisfies both user preferences. I like to alternate between high and low startups depending on the environment (high for regular use, and low for the times your eyes are night adapted).

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Why not a L1D CE with momentary switch, press lightly for momentary further for constant, and two settings by turning the head. The first mode would give you high so you could signaling with the momentary future, then a twist on the head gives you the setting the L1D have now Low-med-high-SOS, only adding strobe in that mode!

Would be a winner!

not2bright

Enlightened
Just to clarify my wishes, I want the size of the L1P with the max output of a L1D-CE and a low mode for long runtime and night vision uses.

I think the two-stage is ideal, but would be fine with the five modes if the size were the same as the L1P.

I guess what I am getting at is that while the size of the L1D-x is not large, the L1P size is much more friendly for EDC. I would happily give up the extra modes, and some throw to get a two mode light in a L1P package with a light orange peel, or light stipple reflector.

The two stage could be in a mode select clicky or head-twist, although I would prefer a clicky-select.

Bottom line is the L1P size and L1D-CE "high" output with a selectable "low" mode.

I would even prefer the L1P size over having two modes. So I guess it could be a L1P-CE (high mode only). Although it can't be that hard to design a low mode in to the light.

Size matters!

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately there isn't a UI that will satisfy evenyone. Even something that caters to most preferances like the L1D isn't going to be accepted by those that want only this or that and do this first and that second and don't do this at all. Such custom "winner" flashlights are more likely to happen if you make or mod them yourself.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
Unfortunately there isn't a UI that will satisfy evenyone. Even something that caters to most preferances like the L1D isn't going to be accepted by those that want only this or that and do this first and that second and don't do this at all. Such custom "winner" flashlights are more likely to happen if you make or mod them yourself.

That is quite true. And IMHO the LxD UI is almost flawless, except for the fact that it doesnt allow signaling. I just have a nagging feeling that there are a lot of people who were satisfied with their LxT etc and just wanted a light like that but with a Cree.
But I dont think we'll have to wait that long for a light like that, heard Liteflux is planning to release their LF1 with a cree and momentary on! Sweet. But then we probably wont get the excellent current regulation the LxD series have, so again, you can never please everybody, or at least me. :)

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like the strobe mode on mine now. I went out to a concert last night, and both inside the club and outside on the street it made it super easy for people to find me. If I could see them, I just point the L1D-CE in their direction and hit the strobe. 100% effective.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
revolvergeek said:
I actually like the strobe mode on mine now. I went out to a concert last night, and both inside the club and outside on the street it made it super easy for people to find me. If I could see them, I just point the L1D-CE in their direction and hit the strobe. 100% effective.
Yes I've done that too and it really makes you stand out in the crowd; just as long as you're the only one with a strobe light. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer was designing a car for his half brother. "...and put one of those orange balls on the antenna so you can find your car in parking lots. I think every car should have one!"

Last edited: