Surefire V71 Holster Scratches M3

Gordov2

Enlightened
Why? With HA III this shouldn't happen should it? Not only that, but with all the talked about SF quality, why would the only holster they make that fits the M3, scratch the green coating right off the light?

Opinions? Best way to push back metal clips?

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Cause the holster is crap? :grin2:

I was quite hesistant to insert my M3 into the holster, bezel down, when I received the holster. I just gently tried to push the M3 in, and it chipped off some HA on the crenelated bezel right away, because the springy metal lid of the holster had so much tension. After that, I just removed the clip (you can tear it out-though it may break, as it did in my case), and put some foam or rubber in place to create some tension to keep the light secure.
Not sure how long or how well this will hold up, though. Chances are that the light may fall out if theres not enough tension..... .

I was pretty disappointed by the holster, and the fact that the HA chipped off so easily-just like you. HA may be quite tough when it comes to wear, yet it seems to chip off rather quickly, especially on edges. It`s something that Ive noticed on three of my Surefires... .

Gordov2

Enlightened
Ok thanks. I guess I'm not the only one. That isn't what I would expect out of SF. And you're right, the holster does suck. And further it sucks that SF doesn't make any other holster that will work with the M3-CB.

To Surefire's credit, they are sending me a new head (I just bought the light).

Tightgroup

Newly Enlightened
Mine did the same thing, much like a kydex holster will scratch most finishes on a handgun or a knife blade. Metal to metal contact, or even plastic to metal usually scuffs the surface. I have some lights that are edc(hard use), others that are safe queens, hope you enjoy your new Surefire, it's a great light!:)

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gordov2 said:
I'll post photo's tomorrow (Friday 3/23/07).

I'd love to see the damage as well...in fact, it might make a great addition to this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120599

Sorry to hear of the damage to a nice light like that though, must have made you sick! :barf: Weird that Surefire would even make something that would damage their high-end lights like that. :awman:

LoneWolfUSMC

Newly Enlightened
Toohotruk said:
Weird that Surefire would even make something that would damage their high-end lights like that. :awman:

First, I understand the frustration of damaging a new toy, however you must remember that to a lot of us these lights are tools. No one crys when you get a ding on the head of a hammer.

I have several handguns that I LOVE. The only way to keep the finish on a handgun perfect is to put it in a safe and never carry it. I couldn't bare to do that, so most of my handguns have holster wear from repeated draws and from general carry. Is the finish on the steel harder that the leather holster? Yes, but you are assuming that there is no dust or grit between the two. The same goes for the much softer aluminum.

I personally do not have one of the Surefire holsters. I do know many who carry their lights on their duty belts in them. Most of these guys could care less about a scratch on their flashlight. As long as it puts a bright beam downrange then it is accomplishing it's task.

You should see my SL35. Most of the finish is worn off of the end cap and the end of the battery tube.;)

Surefire's "high end" lights are in demand because of thier performance in the field, not because of the way they look.

cy

Flashaholic
yep.. V71 holster is junk!

had one, never used it. clumsy and scratches up your light. don't get me wrong, if you scratch your light in the line of duty. that's one thing, but to have a new holster scratch up a new light. that's not acceptable.

sold mine cheap.. with a warning...

Gordov2

Enlightened
OK. I removed the metal clips inside of the V71 Holster and all is fine now. The light still holds fairly well in the holster (even when turning the holster and light upside down), and NO scratching. As mentioned, Surefire is sending me a new head. I will use the head without a holster and the old head with the V71.

CY (above) is correct... If it's damaged during everyday use, fine. But to have a brand new M3-CB damaged by a brand new V71 holster that the same company makes and sells, is nonsense. I'll probably get a Rippof's. The only problem there is that with the V71, the light rides nice and high on the belt where as Rippoff's do not.

Any suggestions for a holster that will ride as high on the belt as the V71?

I'll post pics of the scratched up head tonight.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Mine hoslter does the same thing with my M3. I was worried at first but I put it tial cap down so thats the only part scratched up. Still sucks though. I haven't been able to find any other M3 holster either.

bagman

Enlightened
The Surefire polymer holsters are designed to hold a working torch (sorry flashlight :D) on a duty belt. They do this supremely well. I carry a Z2 or a 6P in a V70 on my duty belt and have never had it fall out. It is very easy to draw and re-holster without looking and one handed. I dont have any other holsters that you can do this with that are anyway near as secure.

Sure you scratch the finish, especaily with type II finish on the 6P et al but that is the price you pay for superb retention combined with ease of re-holstering.

Most of my working lights look, to some extent or another, like they have been used as hammers but I dont gie a monkeys what they look like if they do the job.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
LoneWolfUSMC said:
No one crys when you get a ding on the head of a hammer.

Oh yeah? Well obviously you haven't seen my hammer collection!
nana.gif

You should see my SL35. Most of the finish is worn off of the end cap and the end of the battery tube.
wink.gif

Seriously though, I actually would like to see your light and I invite you to post pics of it on this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120599

Few things look cooler than a well used flashlight!
cool.gif

BTW...welcome to CPF!
wink2.gif
And thank you for your service in the USMC!
bowdown.gif

cy

Flashaholic
John Willis makes the best tactical holster that I'm aware of.

just got a custom M6 holster made. kinda of pricey at $42 shipped, but fits and works better than anything other M6 holster.

lights with turbo heads are hard to fit.

m6 pouch 2.JPG

m6 pouch.JPG

city cop

Newly Enlightened
The V71 holster is awsome for what it is designed for "Tactical use". With that said, so is the M3, who cares if it scratches. The V71 is a fast holster, very secure holster, and can mount the light bezel down. That is well needed for tactical use. Running after somebody, the light has to be sucure to your belt, yet able to pull it out with a simple one hand operation. Not fumbleing over a velco strap. Again! for or it's intended use, thats forth a few scratches on the light.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Turbohead that ran into the clip on the C3 body and put a nick on that...
made me wanna throw the whole thing against the wall