what is the next step up after 5mm LEDs

ken2400

Enlightened
I am looking for something brighter than 5mm LEDs but cheap. What is the next step up from 5mm LED bulbs for projects?

Thanks

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Actually those "no-name" Chinese Power-LED type stars are probably only a $1 each...

I don't think anyone here sells them however.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you want the same size or do you just want brighter.

If you want the same size, the best 5mm LED is the Jeled on ebay (I can't find it right now)

If you want brighter, go with the flow and buy Cree, Seoul or Edison LEDs, much much brighter then the 5mm ones, over 200 lumen from each LED at 1 Amp. They require heat sinking and the correct driver. I'd recommend the Luxeon Micropuck driver if you are just getting in to high power LEDs.

jayhackett03 has the high-power LED listed from dimmest to brightest, the Luxeon VII is also the K2(right?).

BUT, high-power LEDs are usually over $5 each. Dealextreme(Cree Star, Seoul Star, Seoul Emitter) and Kaidomain have pretty good deals on the new Cree and Seoul LEDs. The Seoul emitter has a positive slug (the portion that touches the heatsink) and requires you to isolate it.

Last edited:

ken2400

Enlightened
Any ideas where to get them?

Thanks

Melchior said:
Actually those "no-name" Chinese Power-LED type stars are probably only a $1 each...

I don't think anyone here sells them however.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
ken2400 said:
Any ideas where to get them?

Thanks

I believe he is talking about the ones inside the DX and Kaidomain lights. They have a cheap light from DX that costs about $5 shipped with a boost circuit I believe and the LED.

You could try contacting DX and see if they will carry them for you.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ken2400 said:
I am looking for something brighter than 5mm LEDs but cheap. What is the next step up from 5mm LED bulbs for projects?...Thanks

Nichia Rigel LED. Will produce 25 lumens of nice white output at a fairly low current. Quite efficient for longer runtimes.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
how efficient are those chinese ones that look like little yellow blobs inside the Elly and such compared with the luxeons?

TMorita

Enlightened
The highest end 5mms ae the SMJLEDs.

The next step up are probably superflux LEDs, as mentioned before. The SMJLEDs are brighter than standard superflux, though - you need a 4 die superflux to be about the same as an SMJLED.

The next step above that are Nichia Rigels.

Then Lux 1s.

Toshi

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From what I've seen, they appear to be less efficent then Luxeon Leds and the tint is iffy.

johnny13oi said:
how efficient are those chinese ones that look like little yellow blobs inside the Elly and such compared with the luxeons?

TMorita

Enlightened
Minjin said:
Luxeon 7?

I think that's the one where Rocky Balboa comes back from retirement to save an orphanage by surviving ten rounds against the world heavyweight champion.

Or else it's the one where the telekinetic girl revives Freddy Krueger from the bottom of a lake.

Sorry, I tend to confuse those two movies.

Toshi

Last edited:

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
I wondered what happened to Piranhas and it reminds me that I have a mag 2xAA with a red/orange piranha in it. Totally worthless but I remember it being quite bright for an orange light. Now if I can figure out where I left it.