Need a massive flood led

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened
After using my led light that is on my sony erricson w800i i found it to be fantastic and created a huge wall of light that lit up the ground in all directions, i dont know what type of led was in it.

im after a torch that could replicate a similar style of flood, obviously it didnt have a bezel etc as it was on the back of my phone.

are there any torches out there that would suit my needs, so far i have a led lenser adjustable focus 3AAA torch whic is a good thrower an good flood , and a scorpian r500 so throw is not needed, but i want more. i just need 15-20 feet max wall of light.

oh also an needs to be handheld an run for at least an hour!

cheers Josh

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had that phone too, what did you replace it with? That's a suprisingly good light on the back of that phone.

A CR2 Ion might give you the effect you're looking for.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How small does it have to be, and how inexpensive does it have to be? For a small EDC, the Ion is really nice, or so I've heard (haven't had the chance to test-drive it yet). If you don't mind a "quick fix," you could try removing the reflector from an existing light. Models where this is possible that come to mind are ordinary Mags, the Minimag LEDs, and the FT-01XSE Cree.

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened
dammitjim said:
I had that phone too, what did you replace it with? That's a suprisingly good light on the back of that phone.

A CR2 Ion might give you the effect you're looking for.

i got the new sony erriccson k800i 3.2mp phone, it has a proper flash now, instead of the led flash the old one has,

im not fussed how big the torch has to be, prob upto 4d mag size would be the biggest and price anywhere around the 100-150usd mark

arty

Enlightened
I wanted a floody light and turned my mag 4D into one. I have a Mag 3W LED in it with Flashlight Lens.com LDF film on one of their UCL lenses for the Mag. It lets you focus the light and gives you a smooth beam. There is still a bit of throw if you want it, or you can get a very wide beam.
The diffusing film has a slighly weaker effect in the middle of the lens.

I like the effect of the diffusing film. It gives me a very broad beam - it would work in a 2D or 3D Mag as well. I would expect that you could get the lens+film with other UCL lenses.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a k790a (same as the k800i) to replace my w800i :) There are free programs at www.getjar.com called Light and Torch that will make your phone act as a flashlight.

Light lights up the lcd screen all white, and Torch turns on the red red-eye LED. Troch works better than you'd think

johnny13oi

Enlightened
If you're looking for something cheap, the Elly with the head removed acts as a decent flood. I don't have any of the really expensive high powered lights like you all do but I do have that. lol And I used to use my Tmobile MDA light from the camera as a means of illumination. LOL

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L1 or E1L with the F04 beam diffuser put out nice floody light. No hotspot just a wall of light.
Or an M6 with a diffuser for more light

Patriot

Flashaholic
Arty had a great idea with the Mag light if you want to go cheap. I do the same thing and just leave the flashlight head off and use it like a lantern. It's doesn't get much floodier than that.

I you want to go smaller but more expensive, as others have already said..the L4 is about as floody as LEDs get.

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened
i was hoping for a light that runs on AA's as over here in aus land its hard an expensive to get cr123's, any more ideas.
mainly used for hunting and night walks so it needs to be tough an can get knocked around.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
s13tsilvia said:
i was hoping for a light that runs on AA's as over here in aus land its hard an expensive to get cr123's, any more ideas. mainly used for hunting and night walks so it needs to be tough an can get knocked around.

Look no further, this is the light you need:

Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA LED Flashlight

Runs on AAs
Very floody
Rugged
Waterproof
Drop tested
Safety rated
Very reasonably priced at $25 plus shipping

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LED_Flashlight.php

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
Look no further, this is the light you need:

Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA LED Flashlight

Runs on AAs
Very floody
Rugged
Waterproof
Drop tested
Safety rated
Very reasonably priced at $25 plus shipping

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LED_Flashlight.php

Those 7-led's lights still have a 20-30 degree beampattern, I don't think Josh was looking for this..

If I had the time, I would make a mod for you Josh:

What you need is just a couple of seoul-emitters on a flat heatsink, without reflectors or optics..
That would give about 160 degrees of wide flood!! You can add a custom lens with certain focal length to bring the beam-angle back to whatever beamspread you want between 160 and about 40 degrees. (with a beam under 40 degrees, idividual emitters propably begin to show within the beampattern.

Maybe you can ask someone to make this for you...

Regards,

Ra.

LightScene

Enlightened
Look at the Lumapower M3 in the Reviews Forum. There are at least 2 reviews. It seems to meet your requirements quite well.