Milky SSC Modded HDS Basic42

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I've done quite a bit of modding myself, I had Milky swap an SSC USW0H into my HDS Basic42. The added brightness is nice, but the main benefit I am likely to see is extended runtime. Before the mod, I mostly used the Primary setting while after the mod, the Secondary setting seems nearly as bright. I would guess that the secondary setting after the mod is ~8 Lumens vs the 10 Lumens of the Primary setting before the mod. Basically with very similar output, my runtime has gone from 8 hours to well over 20 hours.

On Max (and the other levels as well), going from the Lux to the SSC made the hotspot both larger and more intense. Throw was obviously increased... maybe 50% is my guess. On a totally overcast night with very minimal ambient light, I could identify someone at a measured 85 yards (~80 meters).

I've read various estimates but to my highly calibrated eyes, I'm guessing Max is now ~80 lumens (60 Lumens minimum), Primary is ~25 Lumens, Secondary is 8 Lumens.

I didn't have any 'before' beamshots, but here are some that should give an idea of the output. These are at 52 feet, manual camera settings, f2.6, 1 second, 28mm equiv. I'll do some indoor beamshots vs L1P and Q3 as time allows but at this distance, the modded HDS KILLS them in comparison.

SSC-modded HDS on Primary
HDS%20SSC%20Primary.jpg

SSC-modded HDS on Max
HDS%20SSC%20Max.jpg

TW0K at 750mA
Vital%20Gear%20TW0K%20750.jpg

UW0J at 1000mA
UW0K%20nFlex%208.jpg