Removable dual battery carrier for Fenix L series holsters

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I got a great idea for improving the Fenix L1x series holster. I previously affixed a Ripoffs clip for easy on/off attachment instead of having to undo my belt every time (see this thread). Now here is a very simple idea for carrying two spare batteries.

p1000486ahi8.jpg

p1000489aqd2.jpg

Although I have a clip attached as seen in this picture, the spares carrier works equally as well with a stock Fenix holster.
p1000488ajb2.jpg

The carrier is a removable accessory that slides through the belt loop. The carrier is held in place once the batteries are positioned in the loops.

Here's a pic without the holster:
03-23-07_0115.jpg

...and the battery carrier all by itself:
03-23-07_0118.jpg

This is very easy to make. I went to a fabric store (Jo Ann Fabrics) and purchased a small length of 2" wide (actually it's 1 7/8") of black elastic material. Simply cut a 5" long piece and fold the sides towards the center (see above picture). Next use an ordinary stapler and insert two staples 3/4" from one end to form a battery pocket, then repeat for the other side. That's all there is and now you have spares carrier you can add or take off whenever you want. You may prefer sewing instead of using staples, but I find the staples hold quite well and are easy to remove/replace should you want to adjust the snugness of the battery loops.

Beside 1xAA Fenix flashlights, I think this would be ideal if you have a 2xAA light such as the L2P or the L2D CE.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
that IS a GREAT idea!

we can adjust the location of the staples to suits different batteries size.

and we can also adjust the same for different EDC lights (LOD, L1D, P1D)

:goodjob:

khoo

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can make them for other flashlight holsters and battery sizes. It's so simple yet so practical I'm surprised nobody thought if it before.

The idea came to me while driving to the beach. I know that doesn't make sense but that's how it happened.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
The idea came to me while driving to the beach. I know that doesn't make sense but that's how it happened.

For the sake of us CPF members please do that at least every day :grin2:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on a 1 cell spare design that can be mounted on either side. It's not as simple as I need to find a way to anchor it.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilohana said:
LowBat: Very simple, yet innovative! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome. I thought there would be more interest. Maybe when I come up with the single battery carrier more will want to try it. I'm thinking of fully covering the battery so there isn't a shiny top visible.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't any picture of the back of the batteries, so I'd just like to point out that (in case you didn't already) you should close the carrier things at the negative end. Otherwise you could short the cells if you carried them in the same pocket as, say, a keychain.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fallingwater said:
There isn't any picture of the back of the batteries, so I'd just like to point out that (in case you didn't already) you should close the carrier things at the negative end. Otherwise you could short the cells if you carried them in the same pocket as, say, a keychain.
Both ends are open, and the batteries are held in place with the elastic material. The next one I come up with will have closed ends.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad this simple idea has been useful. :)

Not pictured, but once I got the vertical loop staples properly positioned I added a few horizontal staples in the center to keep the ends down. This makes it easier to slide the carrier in and out of the holster.

BTW, I never did come up with a single cell or a closed end version. Perhaps somebody else would like to try designing them.