P1D CE Mod P4 Clouded Over

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened
I upgraded my Fenix P1d CE with the Seoul P4 per Nerelus's insturctions, all went well but I may have used too much crazy glue...The P4 is clouded over after a few days of use and the "dome" of the LED is hardenend. I do see now a definite dimming due to the cloudiness. Is this usually due to the crazy Glue fumes? It's been a week and if I put a new P4 in do you think I will still have a clouding problem with the cray glue even though it is very dry now? Also, can the cluding be caused by something else? Thank you!

dixemon

Enlightened
Crazy Glue? Uh, where are you putting crazy glue? Also, you may want to move this thread out of the buy, sell, trade area into something more appropriate like homemade and moddified lights.

Gary123

Enlightened
Can't help you but I am curious. Why would you swap a Cree for a P4? The output is so similar. Did you do it to change beam shape, to try to get less artifacts?

PhantomZ

Enlightened
JRNioa,

just to warn you that you posted this in the wrong area. this will either be moved and lock or etc... but ya.. you might get warned by the mods.

anyhow... you should be carefull using crazy glue with ANYTHING that's clear (glass included) and made of plastic. the fumes was the cause of the haze. if you were using the crazy glue for gluing the heatsink, next time use thermal epoxy. even if you were not using it on the heatsink, regular epoxy would do a better job then crazy glue (even though it'll take a little longer to set) because when crazy glue cracks, it'll flake alot, plus other reasons i can't remember because my mind went blank now at 5:52am U_U

Last edited:

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened
OK, I re-posted in what I think is the correct forum. thanks

Sable

Enlightened
Crazy glue (Superglue or cyanoacrylate) does evaporate a little - especially under heat, and the "smell" you get off of it is glue fumes.

Cyanoacrylate settles on things in much the way you describe - when it comes out of the air, it can settle on things like fingerprint oils [the FBI apparently actually uses this method to detect "latent" prints on otherwise un-fingerprintable evidence], and certainly can settle on the dome of an LED.

How much glue did you use? Were I in your shoes, I wouldn't have re-assembled the light for 24 hours after gluing whatever it was I glued together, just so this doesn't happen again.

- Sable

Nereus

Enlightened
Perhaps I should provide some background for this thread...
wink.gif

I modded my P1D-CE with Seoul p4 and McR20s reflector, see this thread. There you can find detailed description where, how and why cyanoacrylate glue is used. Jrnioa made the same mod and reported it here.

Jrnioa, I can not see any clouding or hardening of the emitter on my modded P1D-CE - the led looks like brand new, just like in the pics 23 and 24 in my mod guidance thread.
thinking.gif
Would you please post a few pics of your P1D-CE?

I have to post a comment about this to the actual modding guidance thread... I know that there are other P1D-CE+Seoul+McR20s mods going on and I think this info is definitely needed by the modders. Thanks for posting your experiences here, Jrnioa.

-N

Last edited: