Is the NEW Surefire L5 at 6.1" be too long for EDC?

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
I just got the L2D-CE and its plenty long. I'd say L5 would be to long and bulky for a EDC. I'm getting the light when its avaliable but not going to be used as an EDC.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually looking forward to the new L5. With its new specs I think its going to be a winner. Even the current L2 is quite long and most L2 owners do edc them.

Timson

Enlightened
Gordov2 said:
Do you think the new Surefire L5 (with 120 lumens), at 6.1 inches long be too big for EDC? What are your thoughts???

Depends if you're used to having 6 inches in your pocket or not :laughing:

Sorry - couldn't resist.

I think it would annoy you in your jeans pocket or on a belt, but in an inside jacket pocket - Why not.....I regularly carry my C3 clipped to my inside jacket pocket - no worries.

Tim.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to chime in and agree with the everyone above. I had an L5 already, and found it to be a bit too big for pocket carry in my jeans. Not only was it a bit long, but it was hard to reach into the pocket that the light was in because the bezel is so large.

But I did carry it a lot in my jacket pocket at night, with no problem at all. All that being said, I will probably end up buying the new version when it's released as I miss my old one :ohgeez: The L5 is a wicked light, it's gonna rock with a Cree :rock:

lightinsky

Enlightened
The picture shown of your L5 doesn't have the step down design because I just got a KL5 back in Feb 07 and it has a step down design with the reflector. Does that mean I have a cree in mine or still a luxeon V ?

Gordov2

Enlightened
I understand what everyone is saying.... It's just that I want everything the new L5 has to offer (GRIP RING, 120 lumen LED, SF product, clickie switch, etc...), but I want to carry it every day.

Any other light out there you might suggest that would be similar to the NEW L5, but shorter? Or anyone doing a Mod that would get me something similar to the NEW L5, but shorter?

All opinions appreciated!

zx7dave

Enlightened
The "new" L5 looks cool enough that you will probably put up with the bulk of it until the new wears off at least...

L5withnewKX5.jpg

Gordov2

Enlightened
Also, the picture I posted of the L5 (at the top of this thread), is NOT from the new 2007 catalog. It's from the SF website which is still showing last year's L5 model.

Gator762

Enlightened
The bezel looks damn fat according to the photo - much wider than a minimag. In fact if his hand is the same size as mine, the bezel is about the size of the body of a D-cell maglite.

I think for EDC you'd hate it. Like Strauss said, it looks OK for a jacket pocket, but too big for EDC.

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened
I EDC an L2... same length, but the L5 is considerably bulkier. The L2 is no problem in its belt holster... but the bulkiness of the L5 might be an issue.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The new L5 bezel (aka KX5) is signifcantly less bulky than the current KL5 bezel. In my experience this makes a lot of difference to the ease of carry.

The new KX5 bezel is a bit longer than the current KL5 bezel. I find that length is easier to deal with for EDC compared with bulk (diameter).

The issue for me is not the length, nor the bulk of the new L5 compared to the likes of the L2 but more importantly the position of the pocketclip relative to the bezel.
I see the issue as the pocketclip 'pivot' point is approaching the centre of the length of the L5 and this can cause it to 'ride' and pivot away from your body when it's clipped inside your pants/trousers pocket. Also, because the bezel is long and quite heavy there is more chance it'll get caught on things compared to the likes of the A2/L2.

I think a solution is to put the KX5 on a U2 body with an LU60 adapter collar so that it is carried bezel-down clipped inside your pocket. Although the KX5 is long, it is not as bulky as the U2 or K2 bezels so again, you don't have the bulk to worry about.

Note that the KX5 will be available in both HA (on the new L5) and in standard black for use on classic WeaponLights. It is likely that SureFire will concentrate on releasing the new L5 first and then after a while the bezels will be released for those who want to upgrade their existing products.

Al

Gordov2

Enlightened
Yeah, the bezel does look big. However, the L5 specs indicate that the bezel diameter is 1.47 inches and the body diameter is 1.00 inches. So yeah, it's bigger than a MINI MAG. However, the body of the D-Cell Mag is 1-9/16 inches... So the D-Cell BODY is a little bigger than the L5 bezel.

The diameter of the BEZEL of a D-Cell Mag is 2-1/4 inches and the L5 BEZEL is 1.47 inches. So at the end of the day, the bezel and body diameter of the L5 is less than the D-sized Mag Light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The current KL5 bezel diameter is the same as the M2/K2/U2/8AX/8NX/L7 at 1.47" where as the new KX5 bezel is more like the Z32 at 1.37" so that's 2.5mm or 7% smaller in diameter.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
My understanding is that SureFire's priority is to the new L5 (with it's KX5 in HA), and to offer the KX5 in standard black as a replacement for the Z32 bezel of classic WeaponLights.

The ScoutLight is Black HA and the LU60A is a Black HA version of the M2 bezel. I think it would be excellent for there to be a Lamp Module consisting of Black HA KX5 and appropriate adapter collar for the ScoutLight. However, no such Lamp Module has been shown nor hinted at.

Al