Dealextreme 1.25 Watt Cree 1 AA Flashlight **Now with beamshots** Test Complete.

mhubble

Enlightened
Got this from DEALEXTEME today. I paid 19.00 for mine, its now 14.00 shipped. Very bright, alot brighter than I thought it would be. Very lightweight with a battery in it. Walls are very thin. Glass lens. Reverse clickie. The run time is whats impressed me. I ran it for two hours on a Duracell ultra. (30 on, 30 off with a total of two hours of run time.) Dropped to about 75-80% brightness at 1 hour and 50 min. Im 45 min into the third hour and no more drop in brightness. At two hours of run time the battery had dropped to 1.34 volts. At 2 hours 45 min the battery is at 1.24 volts. Im going to run it till it dies, Ill post when its finished.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1370

Edit - 3 hours of run time, still at 75% brightness. Battery at 1.21 volts.
Edit - 3 hours 35 min of run time, 65% brightness. Battery still at 1.21 volts.
Edit - 4 hours of run time, 50% brightness, Battery at 1.18 volts, Still plenty of useful light.
Edit - 5 hours of run time, 50% brightness, battery at 1.10 volts. Still plenty of useful light. Amazing.
Edit - 6 hours of run time, 50% brightness, Battery at 1.08 volts.
Ended test.

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
Re: Dealextreme 1.25 Watt Cree 1 AA Flashlight - Quick Review.

mhubble,

Thanks for the mini review.. i was interested in buying that light too.... but when i got around to ordering it .. it was out of stock already.... doh!

from the picture of the beam shot on the DX site... it looked like there are noticable dark rings in the pattern... can u confirm that? also, in reference to the brightness of the light... what is a close companison?? fenix l1p?

Thanks,

KraZy

LightScene

Enlightened

Thanks for the review. They went fast. From DX: "Item is temporarily unavailable or is sold out."

mhubble

Enlightened

mhubble,

Thanks for the mini review.. i was interested in buying that light too.... but when i got around to ordering it .. it was out of stock already.... doh!

from the picture of the beam shot on the DX site... it looked like there are noticable dark rings in the pattern... can u confirm that? also, in reference to the brightness of the light... what is a close companison?? fenix l1p?

Thanks,

KraZy

There is a dark ring around the hot spot but you only see it when you shine the light close up, like 3 ft or less. Past that you dont see it.

Its ALOT BRIGHTER than an l1p, Its also brighter than my L2P running off a single CR123. Not as bright as my Ultrafire k2 luxeon but alot better run time.
Hope this helps.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

I got mine today too. It now out of stock on DX.

My impressions are colored by my other lights. I have chosen a Cree modified CR123 light (S1801) running on 3.6 RCR123 and stock Fenix L1S (R-binned 1W Luxeon, bought in 12/2005) on Energizer Lithium 1.7V AA.

The modified S1801 stomps the Fenix. The DX light on regular alkaline is brighter than Fenix but not by much. After swapping the lithium into DX and alkaline into Fenix, the DX is brighter but still does NOT stomp it the way Cree'd S1801 does. Over the weekend, I will compare them using identical rechargeable 2500 AA and see how brighter DX is over the venerable Fenix.

I am not convinced that DX lens is glass. Mine will NOT stand on its tail as the rubber switch boot slightly bulges out. One of the two lanyard hole is only an indentation and not a through hole.

When you hold the Fenix in one hand and the DX in another, you immediately know the difference in the quality of the two lights. What a bargain Fenix L1S was for $29.99 at that time!

Last few weeks I have spent enough dollars chasing el cheapo Cree lights at KD and DX. If I knew any better, I would have used that money to purchase one of the Fenix CE. I have a feeling that when I get my first Surefire, I would probably feel the same way towards Fenix :)

- Vikas

mhubble

Enlightened

I am not convinced that DX lens is glass.

I used a razor blade on mine and it didnt leave a scratch.

Mine will NOT stand on its tail

Mine wouldnt either until I replaced the boot with one from a Fenix L1P.

Last few weeks I have spent enough dollars chasing el cheapo Cree lights at KD and DX.

Same here, still got a couple on the way. The PALMBLAZE K2 is still my favorite. But I havent got any of the new FENIX's........YET!!!!!

krazy89

Enlightened

good stuff! you guys are awesome....

I guess it's a good thing they were outta stock! anyways.. i think the one that i would most likely get will be the fenix L1D-CE... that one seems to be the best one.. .with the best features.. and quality.. at a decent price...

i recently got a Fenix L0P-SE.. and although it's an awesome EDC on my keychain... i don't particularly like twisties.... i like clickies a lot better...

KraZy

mhubble

Enlightened

Just updated the runtimes. Just finished 4 hours of total run time. Battery at 1.18 volts. Still plenty of useful light left. About 50%. Im amazed a single AA will run like this.

Streamer

Enlightened

it's an OK light I guess. But why do they advertise glass lens and it aint? That's one of the little things that i was countin' on. Little I know, but nevertheless it was slightly misrepresented IMO> And no tail cap standing, lest it turn into The Tower of Pizza on a gyroscope. My reflector is off centered in the head...BUT I AINT COMPLAINING.. What ya want for under twenty to the door?

mhubble

Enlightened

But why do they advertise glass lens and it aint?

Mine is glass, I used a razor blade and tried to scratch it. Blade wouldnt touch it.

Streamer

Enlightened

I ain't gonna dare take a razor to it. Feels and taps like poly carbon to me.

farmall

Enlightened

Thanks for the review.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

OK, after further review, I need to increase my rating for this light.

I used identical Energizer 2500 in Fenix L1S and DX Cree. DX hot spot is brighter, whiter and the diameter of the hotspot is at least twice. The sidespill is brighter too. The circular hot spot is somewhat blotchy in the middle with "sunspots".

Interestingly, black DX looks slimmer to the silver L1S but on vernier caliper, the L1S is actually just a hair thinner than 20mm. Now you know why women like to dress in black :)

Eating my own words, if you can get it for under $15 and if you don't have any Cree light yet, I would recommend this light.

If anybody can teach me how to do beam shots with Canon S410, I would include them. That camera does not have manual mode.

By the way, it should be easy to center the reflector. The bezel comes out easily. Actually on mine, bezel comes out easier than the tailcap :-( You can spin out the pill by using pointy paper clip. As soon as you do that you can feel the reflector and lens rattling. If you tighten it, it might be centered.

- Vikas

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do I hear 5 hours?

mhubble

Enlightened

Do I hear 5 hours?

Yes we have 5 hours. I did two more 30 min runs. Battery is at 1.10 volts. Still at 50% Brightness.

After I turned it off I waited about 30 seconds and tried to turn it back on. Wouldnt come back on at first. I clicked it off and back on a couple of times and it finally came back on. Must be set to stop working around 1.10 volts.

All I can say is im amazed that you can get 5 hours out of a single AA and still have useful light. This light has yet to drop below 50%.

Ill continue tomorrow and see what else I can get out of it.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was the light I wanted to satisfy my cheap-light-fix, but had to settle on the Cree-Elly since it's out of stock. Lucky!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

It would be a damn crying shame if it WAS in stock, because I couldn't get one anyhow...

But it sounds like a great light for the price!

mhubble

Enlightened

IVE NOW RUN THIS LIGHT FOR A TOTAL OF 6 HOURS.

After letting the battery sit all night I checked it this morning and it read 1.3 volts. I ran the light for 30 min and checked it again and it was 1.23 volts. Just ran it for another 30 min and it now reads 1.08 volts. And it wont turn back on.
This mornings run seemed a little brighter too, maybe 60% brightness.

I let the light sit for maybe a min and now it will come back on again. Battery reads 1.13 volts. So it seems the cut of for this light is around 1.10 volts.

Note - Beam shots were taken in a completely dark basement at about 15 feet.

First beam shot is after a total of 6 hours of run time. Still plenty of useful light. Battery was reading about 1.18 Volts.
p3240017wi8.jpg

This is a beamshot with a new Duracell Ultra. It will stay this bright for at least two hours.
p3240015yn0.jpg

When I started this I really meant it to be a quick review. But after getting into the run time test I couldnt quit. Im completely amazed at this light. If Dealextreme gets any more and sell them at 14.00 its well worth the money.

What I would like to see now is somebody that has a comparable Fenix do the same test I did.

I hate to say it but it looks like this light is going to replace my Fenix L2P (using a single cr123) as my EDC. Its brighter and lasts a hell of alot longer.

Thanks for all the interest in my thread.

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
mhubble please resize your images.. I have a 21 inch monitor and I'm having to scroll sideways to see your enormous images. Shame on you.