What should i do with my SF L1?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I have a SureFire L1 Lumamax on the way from Spyder Tactical Supply, picked it up for two main reasons, first, the price was right with the inventory clearance CPF discount (sorry to see you go, Steven :( ), and secondly, i wanted to get one with the ultralow 1.1 lumen low beam

that said, i'm not really a fan of the TIR optic style beam, i'm more of a reflector guy myself, so i'm planning out strategies to make the L1 more useful for my needs

here's my options, feel free to suggest others

1; get a Minimag accesory kit and scuff up the clear window to make a diffuser disc, basically a DIY F04 beamshaper
2; get the aforementioned F04 beamshaper
3; pop open the head (and void the warranty, most likely) and drop in a McLux reflector (what size/model would be needed?)
4; send it to Milky and have him reflectorize and Cree/Seoul it into a ML-1

right now, the first two options seem to be the best bet, as i would have both throw and flood at the simple swap of a beamshaper

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
An F04 would be a good choice, but money considerations aside, having a Milky ML1 is the way to go! I had a TIR L1 with an F04 and it was definitely useful. The beam, with the F04, is VERY uniform and floody. It was a great light, especially since you could remove the F04 and have some nice throw.

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye said:
........Milky ML1 is the way to go!.........

Valpo Hawkeye,
I have been giving a lot of thought to this lately too. I like a lot about the L1 and am thinking about getting another and taking the Milkyspit plunge (not knowing what the cost implications are) so that I have a stock L1 and one that will pick up where the stock job leaves off. Not knowing exactly what Surefire's interpretation of an "L1 on Cree" is, I am undecided.

Mac Tec,
"Inventory Clearance CPF discount?" Is this the same 20% discount I have heard about or something else? Something one should move on quickly? "Clearance" indicates a sense of urgency being required.

Thanks.

Jeff H

Culhain

Enlightened
MacTech thanks for the post (I think), I just ordered the L1 myself. I had forgotten to check back for the discount pricing, until I read your post.

My plan is to keep my L1 stock until the reviews come in for the new Cree L1. Then, I will have to decide whether to order the new Cree or have Milky mod this one. In the meantime, a beam diffuser sounds handy.

Does Butler Creek (?) make and stock the FO4?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Jeff H said:
Valpo Hawkeye,
I have been giving a lot of thought to this lately too. I like a lot about the L1 and am thinking about getting another and taking the Milkyspit plunge (not knowing what the cost implications are) so that I have a stock L1 and one that will pick up where the stock job leaves off. Not knowing exactly what Surefire's interpretation of an "L1 on Cree" is, I am undecided.

Mac Tec,
"Inventory Clearance CPF discount?" Is this the same 20% discount I have heard about or something else? Something one should move on quickly? "Clearance" indicates a sense of urgency being required.

Thanks.

Jeff H
Jeff, this link has the details on the Tacticalsupply discount

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff H said:
Mac Tec,

Right now, discount code CPF30 gives 30% off your order. As for the L1, I don't want to speak for Scott, but I believe me may have some old-style hosts available that he will mod and sell. For modding purposes, I like the older style better; it's shorter and is more likely to retain it's factory water resistance.

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye,

Thanks for the information. I don't get the time on the forum to keep up so I appreciate the help.

I only have experience with the newer (TIR Optic) version of the L1. What is different on the older one besides the size? It's more water resistant? Does it have a reflector instead of the optic? I imagine that would make it a better candidate for mods.

I may even attempt a mod myself for kicks. I have an Industrial ELectrical background (control system design, PLC programming, etc.) but am not strong in electronics, therefore do not solder tiny things. When I have "issues" with an electronic component, I replace it rather than fix it. Production concerns preclude taking the time to troubleshoot and repair boards, etc.

I will jump on that discount today and, if I never mod (or have moded) the L1, I will at least have two of a very useful light.

Next mod candidate is my Pelican M6 2390. It's been my "powerhouse" light and a Cree or P4 should be in it for the size and intent of the light. As much as I love the 2390, I still seem to always grab the L1 for the majority of my most frequent needs. The format of the L1 and the single CR123A feature are big pluses for me.

Thanks again.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyder Tactical isn't the same as Tactical Supply, though, is it?? I thought Spyder was still in business..

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
ACMarina said:
Spyder Tactical isn't the same as Tactical Supply, though, is it?? I thought Spyder was still in business..

http://www.tacticalsupply.com/
Takes you to "Spyder Tactical Supply."
Unless there is another Spyder Tactical, it looks like they are the same.

All out of L1s anyway. I PM'd Steve to ask if there are any "old" L1s left but I assume they are gone too.

They have some E1Ls left. What if one were to put an L1 tailcap on a new EL1, the EL1 tailcap on the L1 and modded the L1 with a newer LED? One would still have a compact 2-level light and a BRIGHT light in the single CR123A format. What would be the "low" level on the EL1 with an L1 tailcap? For all I know, the EL1 is the same as an L1 except for the tailcap so, please be patient with my ignorance.

Jeff H