Stinger XT HP versus Surefire 8AX

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 8AX. Was going to buy another as a gift but now they cost more money then I think they should. Would the Stinger XT HP be a worthy alternative in terms of beam brightness, quality of beam, etc?

Velcro

Enlightened
Hmmm, I have this feeling someone will write that the XT HP is better compared with the 8AX with KT5 TurboHead...
smile.gif
wink.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

Size15's

Flashaholic
Someone would write it if Someone else hadn't written it first!
wink.gif

Seriously though, HP to KT is more fair.

It's like comparing the M3 to the M3T otherwise.

BTW, I use the 8NX as a general about the house flashlight. It gets practically nightly use.

Al

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I would rather have the standard Stinger than an 8X/AX/NX. I used to have a Stinger, and to me it was brighter, and whiter than the 8X. The beam wasn't as good, but except for close up, or against a wall it wasn't noticable. The Stinger can throw the beam almost as far as the 9N, just a little bit smaller. Not as bright or as big close up though.
The Stinger HP, seems to me, to be a better choice than the 8AX, and probably the 8AX with the turbohead. I haven't seen either though, so I can't say for sure.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be a more fair Streamlight comparison to the 8AX, a Stinger XT? There is just no way I'm paying $165 for an 8AX when I bought mine for just over $120.

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the stinger but the brightness of the 8X is really disappointing. The only advantage is that it is rechargeable.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 8X is conveniently sized and used as a utility light. I agree that the brightness isn't impressive, but it is a good utility light.

I bought mine used for $56 on 911Surplus, and wouldn't pay more than that. I like the fact that it's slightly smaller than the various Stingers. SF apparently isn't going to come out with an X81 HOLA any time soon to cannibalize 9 series sales.

In any event, I expect to be using my DB 6AA with a P91 mod and 40 minute run time with 6 1800 mAh AA NiHhs or my DB 8AA with 6 3000 4/5 A NiMh's which should run the P91 mod for 75 minutes when I want a more powerful SF beam. BTW, the current delivered in these configurations should slightly overdrive the P91 to something north of 210 lumens.