can the optics be replaced in an LS?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm curious how scratch resistant the optics are on the LS and if they are replaceable.
If I drop my arcLS lens down on someting hard will the optics break?I have an idea for a clear protective lens cap for the lS and aaa,but I will have to make a couple to see how they will work.
troy

dark star

Enlightened
A lens cap would be good. I bet the LS's scratch pretty easy (someone should be reporting a scratch soon).

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are not replaceable so be careful, this is the main reason I am afraid to use the LS as a keychain light.

I wonder if a Surefire E series beamshaper fits?
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well heres my idea:I own a small thermoforming machine that is used for making dental appliances.I have a box of 1mm sheets of material that is Lexan if I remember right.I use it to make bleaching trays for teeth.This material is pretty tough although it does scratch.When I get my LS next week,I'm going to take an impression of the LS head and pour up a model of it.I want to space the material off of the surface of the optics to give an air space to provide a shock absorber in case it is dropped.The material is crystal clear and doesn't seem to affect a flashlight beam at all.
So,I figure I can form the cap,cut it out so it covers over a little of the front of the bezel and clear silicone caulk it.When it gets too scratched,put a new one on.

How hot does the front of the light get after running it for awhile?Too much heat could be a problem.
troy

dark star

Enlightened
I do not notice any heat(but I usually use a single AA battery), sounds like you have a good idea.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
After running the ARC LS for about an hour (or so)...I notice the whole body to be a bit warm. This is a good sign the heat from the LS is being dissipated throughout the entire flashlight body.

grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think this material doesn't begin to deform until it gets around 200 degrees so it should be o.k.
I'll try to make some extras if it looks like it will work.Maybe some of you guys can help test them out too.
troy

Ron

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troy Webber:
I think this material doesn't begin to deform until it gets around 200 degrees so it should be o.k.
I'll try to make some extras if it looks like it will work.Maybe some of you guys can help test them out too.
troy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll test one also.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also protect the optic by using a surefire beamshaper. Fits perfectly and allows me to carry my LS attached to my keychain without worring about a ruined optic.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Didn't i tell you? I am a professional arc ls lens cover tester, this is what i have trained for!Please tell me i can test one of these for you!
grin.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well,I got my kit today-I really like it!
I got a chance to look it over,and I think before I do any thermoforming,I will cut out and bevel a disk of the material to fit over the optics,and use some clear aquarium sealant around the edge to hold it in place.The lexan I have is thin enough that it will still be recessed without touching the optics.If this works,it will save alot of time and materials.I'll probably be able to do this tomorrow night.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well- I found that is nearly impossible to grind out a perfectly round disk-so its back to the first plan.I will take an impression of the LS head today and try to press out a couple of the endcaps.I plan on leaving a 1/4 inch overhang on the bezel to protect the edge(where it usually hits when you drop it).I think cleaning the edge of the bezel,then a small bead of aquarium sealant applied before seating it will provide some water resistance.I plan on a submersion test so if I wreck my LS,it will be my own fault.
frown.gif
(But don't fear,I have faith in my workmanship.)
By dinner I should know how well it works.
troy

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I took the impressions,and made the lens covers,but it did not work out the way I had expected.As I began to seat the protectors,there was no place for the air to go as it compressed between the optics and the cover.Everytime I got it seated ,it would pop back off.I finally let it dry and peeled the sealant off.
Next ,I went out to Wal-Mart and purchased a 2AA Minimag acessory kit.It had an octagonal bezel protector and some lens filters.I took the clear lens and using black RTV sealant,bonded it to the rim of the bezel(the size of the lens could not be more perfect)When it is dry,I plan on using the RTV to bond and seal the bezel protector to the light.The fit of the rubber bezel protector is a little loose so this is necessary.Otherwise it is a perfect fit-it covers right to where the head knurling begins.When all is said and done, I hope to have gained better waterproofing and shock proofing.I still plan on dropping it to the bottom of the swimming pool to test it out.
Wish me luck.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Troy, I am curious to see how your mod works. What effect on waterproofing and brightness specifically.

Peter

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How curious are you Peter?I have the bezel on now and everything appears to be sealed.I fully intend to take it out for a depth test,but I don't think I can wait til August to get a replacement head if it fails.I will do a tub dunk right now because by the looks of the seal I got I'm sure it will hold.Let me got try right now.I will keep it in for 1/2 hour.
troy

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Alright Peter-my Arc LS is now at the bottom of the bathtub shining away.The tub isn't full yet,but the light is shining still and it really looks neat in the dark bathroom.
The mag acessory bezel really helps when turning on the light.Also,it doesn't interfere with the knurling if you prefer that way.
troy

D

**DONOTDELETE**

O.K.-The LS survived over 1/2 hour at 11 inches depth.I was pretty sure it would.I have acess to a hotel swimming pool that is about 8 ft deep in the middle.I guess that is my next test.Also my parents live on a lake that is over 75 feet deep so a deep submergence isn't out of the question.Say the word Peter if you want me to do more research.You would probably be the one person I would be willing to sacrifice my LS for.( but,I bet it will go 50 ft easily).
troy

edited to add:I dont see any difference in output with the extra clear lens.Maybe if I had test equipment there might be something,but I can't discern it.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I am certainly interested in you doing further tests. This will give me more data to go with using a lens over the optics.

Btw, I will replace the LS if you accidently break it.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts