Help me decide to buy an A2!!!

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am seriously considering buying an A2 Aviator with white LED's. I have a respectable collection and yet, it doesn't seem complete without the A2. It seems like the one to round out my collection. Plus I LOVE the idea of a regulated incan. I have been looking at them for some time and I really want one quite badly. Where can I get one for the best price(free batteries and/or other stuff with purchase if possible)? What kinds of rechargeable options are there? Help me absolutely decide to buy one (I'm 99% there).

iamerror

Enlightened
If you love the idea of a regulated incandescent, then the A2 is a great option... and when it comes to regulated incans your choices are limited. To convince yourself to get one you can tell your self that you are buying a one of a kind light. It is the only production regulated incandescent flashlight, although there is also a regulated incan headlamp by Black Diamond. You could probably sell it for a reasonable price if the light is not best for you.

I am not sure about rechargeable options for it.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a huge fan of all LED-based lights. My Milky L1 is one of my most-used lights. That being said, though, there's no substitute for a nice incan when you're outdoors. I've started using my A2 on dog walks instead of my ML1 and I have to say that I'm very pleased with the difference. Distance illumination is better and, of course, color rendition is better. Bottom line is that if you use your lights outdoors fairly regularly, get an A2!

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye said:
I'm a huge fan of all LED-based lights. My Milky L1 is one of my most-used lights. That being said, though, there's no substitute for a nice incan when you're outdoors. I've started using my A2 on dog walks instead of my ML1 and I have to say that I'm very pleased with the difference. Distance illumination is better and, of course, color rendition is better. Bottom line is that if you use your lights outdoors fairly regularly, get an A2!

Ima' tell Milky! :touche:

Can't Wait for my ML1.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
socom1970 said:
Where can I get one for the best price(free batteries and/or other stuff with purchase if possible)
BatteryStation has a decent price. Not the best, but they'll give you 20 free batteries with the purchase.

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, either you are willing to spend the money on a quality versatile light like the Surefire A2, or you are not.

I believe the A2 is the light that can suit most, if not all, of many users' needs. If you can afford to spend the money and believe it is right for you, then you will not regret buying it.

It is one of the better values in lights today. None of that nasty LED obsolescence since Xenon is a different animal than Luxeon, and it will serve dutifully for years to come.

You can have it for about $150 on OpticsHQ with the CPF discount. See "greenLED's CPF specials" in my sigline for more info.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
That pesky ol' bird (Atomic Chicken) already has half the world's supply of A2s, and I have to admit his taste in flashlights is impeccable.

The A2 is a great light, so my advice is to get one yourself while you can!

Incidentally, he (that dratted but clever ol' bird) has come up with an extremely interesting mod for an A2 which will make it even more versatile than it already is. I'm definitely going to get mine done. For details see this thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=158332

Illum

Flashaholic
EV_007 said:
You can't go wrong with the A2. You get two lighting technologies in one.

not just two technologies...but also a lifetime warranty plan

im actually thinking about buying another myself:grin2:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think every serious flashoholic should get the A2 just because it is so popular and loved by so many. That's why I got one. But I actually hated mine. The incan is regulated, but feeble and the runtime short-lived. The LEDs were horrible. Still, I'm glad I got it because I got a chance to test it out for myself under conditions that are important to me. And when I found I didn't like it, it was easy to sell at just a small loss.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't buy an A2 if you just want to compare it on a white wall to your fenix. But if you appreciate incandescents for what they are, this light will be one of your favorites. :)

nimhpwr

Newly Enlightened
I currently don't own a A2 (poor me :broke:), but I do think that regulated incan is the way to go. After i made 2 regulated lights I don't want to see another non-regulated (incan) light. People are saying that regulated is whiter and brighter and so on..well it is. So I don't know about the A2 but in my humble opinion everyone should have at least one regulated incandescent light.

(Whee, my mag++ measured 2h15min regulated runtime with _cheap_ cells, which measured about 2.0Ah. :rock:)