Any info on the "UFO" camp lights?

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Saw these two camp lights on BatteryJunction and I'm wondering if anyone has any practical experience using them/knowledge of them that they'd like to share.

UFO 24
UFO 48

Thanks!

Priestly

Burgess

Flashaholic
it'd be nice to see some light-levels,

and run-time charts.

Can it use NiMH's ?

Don_Redondo

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Fifthunit/DealExtreme version a couple months ago to have as an emergency light or possibly as a camp light. I have not used it for either purpose yet but from the initial "first light" tests I find the direct light from it very harsh and distracting - especially if the LEDs are in the line of sight which is unfortunately how it is designed to be used. It works OK with a ceiling bounce or basically any position that keeps the LEDs out of direct sight like putting it on top of a fridge or using the hanger in the opposite way than it was designed. I would not want to use it on a table, wall, or floor of a tent without a diffuser - an empty margarine or cottage cheese tub should do the trick.

A couple other observations on the DX version: On the plus side it has a couple magnets that will "just" hold it to the side of a fridge or side of a car. On the negative side, the build quality is low – but for around $7 shipped it was as expected.

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Don_Redondo said:
I bought the Fifthunit/DealExtreme version a couple months ago to have as an emergency light or possibly as a camp light...

Thanks, Don_Redondo! That was a lot of very useful information!

Frobe22

Newly Enlightened
I find it nice for doing repair in my car, as it has very wide angle distribution and still bright.
Originally I bought it for macro photography work, but it will need a diffuser as the close up light is a bit uneven.
Color temperature is typical 5mm leds, but the brightness and angles remind me of the cut down MJLED.