MX-991/U (GI flashlight) + 2D Maglite LED bulb.

dtloken

Newly Enlightened
I have a MX-991/U laying around, which due to it's low power output and the fact that it blows bulbs easily is pretty much worthless to me - However I see the LED drop in bulb replacements for D cell maglites, has anyone attempted to fit one of these in or is this a futile persuit?

I am well aware of the Elektrolumen modified MX-991/U but well, that's $60 and I already have a donor flashlight laying around for experimentation.

Opinions?

Vickers

Enlightened
The Mag drop-in will not fit (too wide, both at the little brass collar inside the reflector, and at the little plastic retaining piece that screws in...buth would have to be bored out).

I do have an SMJLED (more of a PR-sized drop in than the Mag unit) that I put in one of mine, but the tint is so green it makes it unpleasant to use.

dtloken

Newly Enlightened
Re: MX-991/U (GI flashlight) + LED bulb?

I'm largely ignorant of flashlights (Kind of weird considering the forum on which I am posting), are there any other PR bulb sized options?

I just happened to see the DX Cree P60 lamp replacement for $12, I had to order one for my Surefire 6P tonight. It's kind of sparked me into wanting a similar drop in replacement for the MX-991/U which would to me make an excellent emergency lamp with a very long run time which is why I wrote this thread.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Installed one of Lambda's great SMJLED-PR2 bulbs in mine,

and it is quite useful. Although certainly not very bright.

With my "tracing-paper" diffuser installed over the lens,

this gives a very nice, soft flood of light when needed nearby.

Great for power outages, cuz' the alkaline D-cells last for DAYS.

And the angle-head (and large, flat base) make it very handy to aim.

Greatwhite

Newly Enlightened
I also had one of these that lived in a drawer for many years, a pretty much useless light.

I tried installing a 2 cell Mag LED drop in but found it was to large. To make this work I reamed the hole in the reflector a little, maybe .015 or .020. Theres a little rib near the tip of the drop in that keeps it from pushing through the reflector so dont open the hole to much. At this point the screw in bulb holder is no longer needed.

Next I removed the brass spring that hits the bulb and bent it so it would hold the led in. I also peened the spring in the middle of the bend from behind with an awl to create a small dimple to make better contact.

For being my first mod it was very simple and rewarding. A great floody light for working under the car hood or any tight space.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Niteitz(link to a review) drop-in is one of the dimmest but longest running of al the Maglite dropins. It's great for blackouts but bad of you want brightness. The brightest drop in is probabily the Terralux Seoul drop-in(3-6D or C cell), a new version is coming out for 2-3D or C cell Maglites

dtloken said:
http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=127

I purchased that from Wal-Mart this morning for $8, I dunno how it compares to other LED bulbs but it works fine in here and puts out a decent bit of light (For emergancy purposes at least). They claim 75 hours of runtime on 2D cells.

This is actually a useful flashlight now I would say, with the very lengthy run time.

Last edited:

dtloken

Newly Enlightened
Is the terralux a PR sized drop in that will fit my flashlight without modification or is it larger like the maglite magled drop in that I've seen at wallyworld as well?

I'd consider buying the Terralux if and when (Any links to to this new item?) they make a 2 cell version IF it is a direct drop in. That way I could keep the LED drop in I have in now in the tailcap for extreme run time, but usable light in a small space (IE camping, blackouts, etc.) and then have the Terralux for when more output is needed.

At any rate, I'm new to this LED game. I've never *really* been into flashlights as a hobby but more for utility purposes but I am beginning to find all these LED items to be quite interesting. I've had a Surefire 6P and G2 (One for my timbuk2 manpurse and one for my car) for years. My only LED lights to date are a Photon Freedom on my keyring and an Inova X1. I have a DX Cree P60 size drop in on the way for my 6P, I can't wait to see it after looking at the outdoor beamshots posted the other day.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy came out with a PR-based bulb this month. So far most have stated it's been found at Sears although I'm sure Wal-Mart will stock them before much longer. It's new so saturation of the product will take a bit.

Dorcy drop-in

I understand it's much brighter than the Nite-Ize, but what isn't.

I think the Seoul Terralux is made to fit mags only as you don't use the retaining ring on the Mag.

sniper

Enlightened
I just dropped a PR based SMJLED that I got from Lighthound into one of those, and gave it to my son for Father's Day. Great drop-in, much brighter and with better tint than the stock incand bulb. It is not a blow the doors off bright light, but better than the original. Runtime is a multiple of the original, too. I am going to buy one for myself, and try the Sears or Dorcy drop in as comparison. Slick, easy, and worth the $, IMHO.

The Lighthound PR based SMJLED I sent to my buddy astonished him with its brightness in his beater 2-D Maglight, too. I have to buy another 3 or 4 of those.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's mine. It's a G.T. Price MX-994/U. It's a straight, three D cell light. In the tail are a diffusing filter, (currently being used), a red filter, and a white lens, which I'm guessing is for signaling. EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the best part! It's got one of Arc Mania's SSC P4 modified EverLEDs in it!

I've seen a lot of the angle head lights before, but none of these:

light004.jpg

light003.jpg

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SMJLED available from Lighthound seems to work well in this light but it is not a high output light.The SMJLED available now may also have a more limited lifespan than typical LED replacements because of heat degradation.My personal experience with the anglehead when I was in the military was that the switches would fail.I have a couple examples in my collection but they have been "retired" with other, better lights being available.

Latest posts