burning dvd's....how to

prof

Enlightened
Check into the legal issues here. There used to be a software package you could buy that would do it, but it was basically banned. I have not checked the legal nature of this in some time.

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
prof said:
Check into the legal issues here. There used to be a software package you could buy that would do it, but it was basically banned. I have not checked the legal nature of this in some time.

what if it is for copying a dvd that i bought?

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened
afaik, in the US, copying a dvd you own is legal, but distributing the software that allows you to do the copying is illegal.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
While I can not be 100% sure, I seem to recall that there's a catch 22 for DVD copying.

It's allowed to make an archive copy under the copyright laws.

BUT.... The code to decode and recreate a DVD key is a "trade secret" of the movie industry consortium. You are only licensed to use that code if you agree to their rules, and one of their rules is that you don't allow copies. Then along comes the Digital Millenium Copy Right Act (DCMA) that makes it a federal crime to try to crack the encryption for any reason.

This gives the movie industry pretty good control over what you CAN copy. You have the right to make the copy, but you don't have the right to own the tool to make the copy unless it is blessed by the consortium. This generally means it includes copy protection.

Things may have changed. I have not looked lately.

Daniel

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
DJ Q said:
anyone know how to burn back-up copies of dvd movies?

Rosemead in the house! I used to play badminton in Rosemead, before I messed up my ankles.

Anyway, backing up DVD movies is a snap. See www.slysoft.com and you'll find what you need. Basically, AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneDVD2 (both sold on the Slysoft website) will backup any movie, period (as long as your updates are kept current). AnyDVD will also work with other copy programs that you may already have, such as Nero, Roxio, or any other. I use the two Slysoft products and it, honestly, couldn't be simpler. Any 5th grader should be able to figure it out without any documentation, really, it's very self explanatory. Basically, it only takes about 4 or 5 clicks of the mouse to make a backup. There are other programs you can use, but none will be easier, and I've never come across a movie that the Slysoft products couldn't copy. They've even got products to back up HD DVDs and Blu-Ray.

When I wanted to know the answer to the question you asked, I did a web search and found my answers at www.afterdawn.com.

Last edited:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadget_lover said:
While I can not be 100% sure, I seem to recall that there's a catch 22 for DVD copying.

It's allowed to make an archive copy under the copyright laws.

BUT.... The code to decode and recreate a DVD key is a "trade secret" of the movie industry consortium. You are only licensed to use that code if you agree to their rules, and one of their rules is that you don't allow copies. Then along comes the Digital Millenium Copy Right Act (DCMA) that makes it a federal crime to try to crack the encryption for any reason.

This gives the movie industry pretty good control over what you CAN copy. You have the right to make the copy, but you don't have the right to own the tool to make the copy unless it is blessed by the consortium. This generally means it includes copy protection.

Things may have changed. I have not looked lately.

Daniel
Exactly..it is illegal to break copy protection.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
badminton must be tough on the ankles!

It's not the badminton that's tough on the ankles, it's the extra 50 pounds that I'm carrying. I recently taken up table tennis, after finding out there was a local table tennis club. It's much easier on the ankles. I'm not very good yet (I'm ranked right near the bottom, for the club), but I'm improving. Some of the guys are really awesome, and most are very good. There are old men that just tear me apart (a man in his 70's and one in his 80's, for example), and even a 9 year old kid that whips me good.

Last edited:

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
Trashman said:
It's not the badminton that's tough on the ankles, it's the extra 50 pounds that I'm carrying. I recently taken up table tennis, after finding out there was a local table tennis club. It's much easier on the ankles. I'm not very good yet (I'm ranked right near the bottom, for the club), but I'm improving. Some of the guys are really awesome, and most are very good. There are old men that just tear me apart (a man in his 70's and one in his 80's, for example), and even a 9 year old kid that whips me good.

there's a lot of competitiors at almansor park in alhambra

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
just get nero or some other similar programs and start burning...

and oh, you need at least dvd writer drive , 2 if you can.

for 1, you will use the dvd drive to read the dvd then take it out and insert a blank one.
for 2, insert the dvd into one drive and the blank in another and start burning.