Arc bike light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Newly Enlightened
I've been shopping for a bike light recently (old one blew too many bulbs, lost too much battery capacity), and I'm disappointed with what I've seen on the market. Seems like the only difference between bike lights now and bike lights ten years ago is that you can get NiMH packs instead of lead acid or NiCad. Well, actually there is one company selling a HID bikelight, but it's a bit out of my price range.

I think the bike light market is a good one for Arc because it's a much larger market of people who are willing to pay top-dollar for high quality products.

The requirements of a bike light are:
1. Lots of brightness. Probably would want two LS LEDs, but switchable to one on, one off.
2. Rechargeable battery system. No one wants to spend $5 on batteries every commute.
3. Must be able to withstand big forces from every direction.

I think a light using an LS would fit the market well because:
1. LEDs have a better response to low-battery situations. You won't lose your light completely like I always do with the incandescent; you'll just get a good period of dimmed light, which is still acceptable for safety visibility.
2. An LS could function off of a smaller battery pack with less weight, which is a big deal for some bicyclists
3. LEDs are much more resistant to impact damage, which has killed many, many expensive incandescents in bike lights.
4. Most bike lights are sloppily made, and waste much of the light they produce. You could do much better.
5. Finally, this LED LS bikelight would make a killer handheld light as well.

Flagone

Newly Enlightened
A double LS bike light would be fantastic.

The existing bike lights on the market are not particularly good, or are very expensive and heavy.

I would definitely be in the market for one of these if it existed. However, I suspect such a product won't be made in this decade.

hawkins1965

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew:
I've been shopping for a bike light recently (old one blew too many bulbs, lost too much battery capacity), and I'm disappointed with what I've seen on the market. Seems like the only difference between bike lights now and bike lights ten years ago is that you can get NiMH packs instead of lead acid or NiCad. Well, actually there is one company selling a HID bikelight, but it's a bit out of my price range.

I think the bike light market is a good one for Arc because it's a much larger market of people who are willing to pay top-dollar for high quality products.

The requirements of a bike light are:
1. Lots of brightness. Probably would want two LS LEDs, but switchable to one on, one off.
2. Rechargeable battery system. No one wants to spend $5 on batteries every commute.
3. Must be able to withstand big forces from every direction.

I think a light using an LS would fit the market well because:
1. LEDs have a better response to low-battery situations. You won't lose your light completely like I always do with the incandescent; you'll just get a good period of dimmed light, which is still acceptable for safety visibility.
2. An LS could function off of a smaller battery pack with less weight, which is a big deal for some bicyclists
3. LEDs are much more resistant to impact damage, which has killed many, many expensive incandescents in bike lights.
4. Most bike lights are sloppily made, and waste much of the light they produce. You could do much better.
5. Finally, this LED LS bikelight would make a killer handheld light as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with most of what you say. But wouldn't 2 ARC LS's on a bike a bit too heavy? A side question: where can I find affordable flashlight mounts for my Inova X5 and ARC AAA for my mountain bike? Sound's like you are a biker too. Any thoughts?

Thanks

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would take some modification (or maybe just some velcro), but check out the Princeton Tec Aurora (LED headlamp).

You could mount one or two (or as many as you like) on the handle bars. They are very light weight, and pivot to exactly the angle that you want.

You might actually prefer to wear it as a headlamp, instead of mounting it on the handlebars.

Like any LED, it doesn't throw far, but does put out a lot of light up front. This might not be good for biking at high speeds.

Have you looked at these web sites:
http://www.cateye.com/
http://www.night-sun.com/
http://www.trekbikes.com/
http://www.bikelights.com/
(They DO make an ARC bike light!)

http://www.bicyclelights.com/

and this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000013

JollyRoger

Enlightened
As for the Light & Motion ARC, it is an HID headlamp...interesting to see what will happend regarding the name, as it is the same as Peter's company. But it is an HID lamp, not an led light.

I am making a direct drive Luxeon bike light...I find myself going for bike rides at night these days...work is killing me!

It's funny, I'd rather make my own luxeon-based light than use my 30+ watt Niterider!!!

I am going to make one direct drive off 3 AA nimh or 3 A nimh. Maybe a two luxeon setup as well, running in series off 6 nimh.

I have ridden at night with my ARC LS powered with two nimh AA's...it is bright enough in total darkness, but I want some more light. An overdriven Luxeon will do the trick. And you can attach to the handlebars for a great heatsink!

hawkins1965

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JollyRoger:
As for the Light & Motion ARC, it is an HID headlamp...interesting to see what will happend regarding the name, as it is the same as Peter's company. But it is an HID lamp, not an led light.

I am making a direct drive Luxeon bike light...I find myself going for bike rides at night these days...work is killing me!

It's funny, I'd rather make my own luxeon-based light than use my 30+ watt Niterider!!!

I am going to make one direct drive off 3 AA nimh or 3 A nimh. Maybe a two luxeon setup as well, running in series off 6 nimh.

I have ridden at night with my ARC LS powered with two nimh AA's...it is bright enough in total darkness, but I want some more light. An overdriven Luxeon will do the trick. And you can attach to the handlebars for a great heatsink!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some steep prices!!! Can buy many many AAA's, LE's and LS's from ARC and somehow mount them on my bike as bike lights.

Darell

Flashaholic
Seems to me that an Arc LS with a couple of NiMH AA's and one of those cheap Maglite handlebar straps would set you right up. That's my plan, anyway.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Seems to me that an Arc LS with a couple of NiMH AA's and one of those cheap Maglite handlebar straps would set you right up. That's my plan, anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are talking about this thing: Nite Ize Lite Ride
619665.jpg

I had one on a 4 day bike tour and it broke the first night! only the second time I had used it. And needless to say it was dark and I was trying to ride a bike and had 5 more miles to go
frown.gif

I ended up stopping and swtiching to a Broccoli rubber band. This ended up lasting the rest of the trip.
Lite ride = $6 wasted
Rubberband from Brocolli = Free

I would recommend the Twofish lockblock holder
here.
They make two sizes.

hawkins1965

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cave dave:
If you are talking about this thing: Nite Ize Lite Ride
619665.jpg

I had one on a 4 day bike tour and it broke the first night! only the second time I had used it. And needless to say it was dark and I was trying to ride a bike and had 5 more miles to go
frown.gif

I ended up stopping and swtiching to a Broccoli rubber band. This ended up lasting the rest of the trip.
Lite ride = $6 wasted
Rubberband from Brocolli = Free

here.
They make two sizes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very useful link. Thanks. And which grocer did you get your brocolli from?
smile.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cave dave:

here.
They make two sizes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have this. I recommend it as well.

Darell, as for the ARC LS w/ 2 nimh. I use this for the time-being, but it is not bright enough when you are going fast. If you are in total darkness and going less than 15 mph, it's ok. But it might not be able to give enough light to show potholes, etc. that can creep up.

I tested the "direct drive" Luxeon with 3 AA nimh last night and I think this will be enough. Two luxeons are *very* bright. I might do this just b/c it's nice having such a bright light. (still not comparable to a Night Sun or Niterider system, etc. of course.)

Darell

Flashaholic
Before I'd seen the light, and had only Maglites, I used two of the Niteize bands for about three years with no problems. Maybe they just aren't made like they used to be...

Anyhow, the block idea looks like a more elegant one.

Yes, I agree that a single LS wouldn't be bright enough to light your way, but it would be plenty to make you legal, and to allow other drivers to see you. Of course an Arc AAA would do that as well...

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Funny that you mention the ARC AAA. I use this almost every night when I ride home (from the BART station). I simply attach it to my handlebars....it's very very bright and you are really noticeable to cars, especially with the white/blue color of the light. I like it a lot as a make-shift bike light for city use.
smile.gif

Now if (when) Peter makes the AA version, I think he should (or someone should) make a bike holder, as this would be the perfect bike light! Bright and compact. And long run time.

Darell

Flashaholic
I already have the ultimate holder for all of my single-cell lights: A relatively large rare-earth magnet. Infinitely adjustable, and it holds REALLY well. But, you can't get it too close to the head of an Arc, or it dimms noticeably. Doesn't seem to effect the Infinities though.

How are you holding your Arc onto the handlebars now? I might be tempted to glue a Kydex sheath to my helmet, and slip one in there. Maybe even a white forward and a red backward. Probably wouldn't even notice the slight extra weight.

That slightly violet tint of the white probably has everybody thinking that you have the world's smallest HID on there.

MY

Enlightened
As the owner of several bike lights, most notably the Cateye Stadium HID for 4 years, it seems that for most night time bike rides, the LS or several LS lights will be difficult to use except for slow street rights or when you want to be seen rather to see. While I think that the ARC LS is a great light for, it cannot substitute for an incandescent purpose built bike light.

If someone would build a multiple LS light that is bright as a 10 watt Niterider, I will buy it, cost not a problem.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
darell....how do I attach the ARC?

Well...hehe. It's kind of weird, but effective (and simple).

I put a dab of shoe goo (goop, silicone, etc.) onto my handlebars. Not that much. Just about a nice round nickel size drop. After several minutes (or maybe 10 minutes?), it starts to get harder. At this point, I wet the outside of the ARC AAA (so it won't stick to the goop) and I slightly press into the goop to mold it to the ARC AAA. I adjust the angle, etc.

After it hardens, you have a nice simple holder for the ARC that you can take off if you need to (just rip it off w/ your nails or a pair of pliers).

To attach the ARC at night, I just use a rubber band, looped under the handlebars, with each end holding down the front and back end of the ARC AAA. Simple!

You might have some trouble adjusting the goop when it is drying...it tends to settle a bit. Another suggestion might be epoxy, as this hardens a lot faster. (use the 5 min. kind). Just put some oil on the ARC when you are doing to molding process and it won't stick at all to the epoxy.
With the epoxy (and the goop), you have to wait so that the consistency is such that it won't run down the handlebars...but you have only a 1 or 2 min. window w/ the epoxy where it is "goopy" enough...right before it hardens.

It was raining last night (sort of). So maybe tonight I'll test out my single luxeon direct drive (3AA nimh) on an actual ride. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

( I have a NiteRider and Night Sun, too, so I know what *bright* bike light should be like...)

DonL

Enlightened
The Cyclopblock is also available through Bike Nashbar:

TF-CB.image.3.gif

$5.99 + S/H

I had one previously for use with Mini Mags, and it worked quite well. Just make sure you "balance" the light in the mount so it doesn't start tilting uupwards or downwards.

If I could dig it up, I'd love to try it again now with some of my Surefires. It would also be great to see the differences in some of the Arc LS configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.