Amtrak "fly-by" at 125 mph

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This video gives a great feel for the power of tons of metal going by at over two miles a minute. :eek:oo: :huh: There are several other similar videos there also. Kind of gives a new meaning to the term "fly-by-rail". :laughing:

I used to watch those things coming through Princeton Junction when I was in college. It never ceased to exhilarate me each and every time, especially when one stirred up a big cloud of snow in it's wake.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
(rolls around on floor laughing while peeing in pants)!!!! I ve riden amtrak, they should win an award if they break 25mph.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
UncleFester said:
Umm.... JTR that video is played a twice( or more) normal speed. Look at the camera movenemts. It's a dead giveaway.
I kind of doubt it. The MAS (maximum authorized speed) on that part of the route is 125 mph, and the locomotive engineers usually do close to it, sometimes even a few mph over. Anyway, there are other videos there of the same thing with fewer jerky comera movements. Also, do a search for Princeton Junction-another great train-watching spot with 4 tracks where you can catch the regionals doing 125 mph and the Acela at 135 mph.

BTW, Amtrak is indeed limited to 79 mph or less, sometimes much less, and hauled by diesel locomotives, over most of the country. The electrified lines in the Northeast, such as the one in the video, are pretty much the only parts of the system that 100 mph or above is allowed.

MayCooper:

Nice video of the TGV Duplex. You have no idea how I wish we had some real modern high-speed lines in the US. These days 125 mph is considered medium speed.