Make an LED Turbohead for L2?

Daekar

Enlightened
Hey People,

I've been lurking around for a few days and gotten bitten by the bug badly - this is a dangerous forum! I recently got my first Surefire, an L2 Lumamax and have found that while it's a great carry-light, it lacks the throw I would like for jobs like checking around the property, checking the animals, etc. I was a little ticked off to hear that Surefire was going to release a better version soon, but oh well. Anyway, I was hoping that Surefire had some LED turboheads that would offer a solution to my problem, but no such luck. So... I have a few questions...

1) Do any of the turboheads made for the incandescent lights fit onto the L2 properly? If so...

2) Would it be possible to modify the turbo-head to accept an LED (I'd like the brightest and most efficient one possible, really..
smile.gif
) while maintaining acceptable beam and throw characteristics with the standard 2 x 123 battery setup?

3) Is there even any point to doing this because I'd be better off simply purchasing a different light?

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Daekar and Welcome to CPF,

1. As far as swapping out the led head for a turbohead, NO.

2. However if you consider a Aleph 3 a turbohead, then yes. You could get a A3 Head and put a dumb Light Engine together that would pass the power from the converter in the L2 body to whatever LED you put in the A3.
Outlined in this POST

3. Around here we say "Buy 'em Both!" if you'd like a LED turbohead start searching around for ARC Mania's LED Turbo Module for the Surefire M Series. You'd need to buy a M3 or M4 which is great, then get a LED Module with SSC. Then you have a incandesent and LED, 2 lights.
But since you have a L2 already try to get a A3 Head an LED and an E-Screw Can Kit to start look at the Sandwich Shoppe. You'd wind up with a "2 level E-Series Aleph 3 Turbohead L2".
Play a little legos with your lights and you have 4 lights now!

Have fun

Daekar

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for responding. :) Phew....The Sandwich Shoppe is a bit intimidating. I guess I have a lot of learning to do! I haven't had time to take a proper look around (must go to work) but I did do some searching and couldn't find the A3 head. I'll look some more this evening - but it definitely sounds like something to pursue.

Just out of curiosity - this is the reason a lot of people build their own lights from components meant for customization isn't it? Because it'll be easier to change and upgrade later... hrmm... You may have ruined my checking account... ;)

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
A3 heads can be found from time to time in the Custom B/S/T Forum here. Or you could try asking Wayne who runs the sandwich shoppe to sell you one for this purpose without LE and body. You may want to hand your wallet over to someone not infected with the modding bug, as soon as possible, before its too late.:broke:

Daekar

Enlightened
Well... after looking around at the very spiffy Aleph series lights, I've decided to leave the Surefire the way it is and... just buy more lights... heh heh. I like the modular nature of the Alephs... so one of those (with more than one head eventually) is definitely on my list to buy. I have a Lumapower M1 plus two Pila 600P batteries and charger coming in the mail - we'll see what I think is necessary to fill in the gaps after those arrive. :)