SF M4 + KL6 + 17670 runtime results

zx7dave

Enlightened
Did a runtime test on a SureFire M4 with a KL6 LED powered by two 17670 (1600 mAh) rechargeable batteries.

Light ran for 1hr 50minutes before light started to fade. I ran it another 60 minutes, and by that time light was minimal. I stopped the test at that point.

Light got warm, but not hot during the test and cooled off after the 1hr 50 min mark.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
It's a lot of useful light outta one of these combos. I use a Leefbody so 18650's fit, and the runtime is well over 2 hours plus. Also I modded the KL6 with a Cree and then changed to an SSC (no good reason)- really nice output and lasts and lasts. Looks a litttle ugly, though, with the smaller head on the M4 body, don't you think???

zx7dave

Enlightened
I am planning to get the M4 bored for 18650's in the future. Nice to know how much longer the runtime will be. Thanks

Lynn Downey

Newly Enlightened
I have an M4 that's eating batteries but I love the light. You speak of this conversion to LED and rechargeables (KL6 with 2-17670 bats) for an increased run time but what is the lumen output compared to the stock 225 with MN60 and 350 with MN61? And exactly where do I go to get the conversion parts?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M4 that's eating batteries but I love the light. You speak of this conversion to LED and rechargeables (KL6 with 2-17670 bats) for an increased run time but what is the lumen output compared to the stock 225 with MN60 and 350 with MN61? And exactly where do I go to get the conversion parts?

Converting to a Cree (or Seoul) will result in a an increase in output compared to a KL6, and will also get you about a 70% increase in runtime. My estimate is about 160 lumens. While it's not 225 lumens, it's plenty bright. Trust me, I had an M6 that I use the standard lamp on and the KL6 with Cree or Seoul is much more useable. I got rid of the M6 and now use the KL6 in its place. Pick a low Vf LED and you can even run it on a single 17670 or 18650 cell in a pinch. Incandescents are pretty close to dead in my opinion. I don't own a single incandescent anymore.

To convert the KL6, you need the LED of course, and you need some 1210 size resistors to rebias the circuit for the Cree or Seoul. You also need to be able to do surface mount rework soldering. That means a good iron (not a cheap 25W radio shack one), flux, solder, tweezers, and solder wick will also make the job easier. If you don't have SMT experience, you should practice your soldering skills, particularly using a pair of tweezers. I've done this mod for others that do not want to go through the hassle of procuring the parts (the resistors are the hardest to get) or those that do not have the SMT skills.

Last edited: