ARC LS CRAPS OUT!(update:arc is going to send me a new one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I got some water in my arc ls and called peter and asked him what to do, and he said to put it in the oven and bake it for about an hour at 150 degrees, so i did this, and now the water is gone, but the #$@@$%$ light
doesn't turn on!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

What should i do? I just got it monday, so i
can still send it back , right? I am really
mad at myself for letting it get wet, but it
@$!#@ says on peters' @#@#@ website, that it
is water proof to 50 feet, and i didn't know that the seconds weren't waterproof@!@#%
mad.gif

dark star

Enlightened
Our first tragic death. All us arc LS owners are saddened. (and pray it does not happen to us).

WaltH

Enlightened
Stupid question but you did remove the batteries before putting it in the oven right? And you've tried new batteries, and cleaning the battery contacts in the light? I can't see how 160 degree heat should damage the workings of the light, but I guess it's possible if water got into the electronics something could have shorted out.
If it's still not working I would just let it sit overnight in a dry environment (as opposed to the constants humidity here in FLA) and try it again in the morning.

Good Luck

bwcaw

Enlightened
I called Peter right after i posted this topic, and he told me i could send it in and
he would exchange it for a new one!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
Now that is what i call customer service! Most companies would tell
you to go blow it out your barracks-bag, if you told them you had a problem with a second
! I really loved that light, and will be counting the minutes untill the replacement
gets here.Peter even said he was going to take the water-proof thing off of his website
so he won't mislead any customers.Try to get
a company like gag-lite to do that!
grin.gif
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My guess is that your oven got HOTTER than 150-160°F, and the poor LS self-immolated.
frown.gif

If I had to dry out an Arc this way, I'd buy a thermometer that went up that high (a meat thermometer?), put it in an empty ceramic coffee mug, set it next to the flashlight, and keep an eye on it. If it hits 140-150 or so and keeps going up, turn the oven off and let the stored heat inside the oven do the work for awhile. An hour isn't too long to sit there watching a clock, so just grab a kitchen chair & a Hosfelt catalogue, set up by the stove, and entertain yourself for awhile.
smile.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Hmmm...yeah, ovens do vary a lot in temperature. Since the ARC LS's electronics are all "potted" and sealed, I don't think it would be the electronics...

Glad to hear you're getting a replacement, though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JollyRoger:
Hmmm...yeah, ovens do vary a lot in temperature. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just checked the dial on my oven; the lowest it goes is 200°F. So I would definitely have to do the meat thermometer in a coffee cup thing, and babysit it in order that I could turn the oven on and off a few times during the drying cycle to maintain a lower temperature.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ovens will normally overshoot the preset temp by 50-100 degrees on preheat. After oven preheats lets say you have it set on 350 deg it will heat up to 375 then cool down to 325 which gives you a 350 deg avg. I think a better way to dry out something electrical is to use a hair dryer. Before getting into appliance repair I repaired commercial coffee brewers and they can get rather nasty inside due to the coffee oils, so I would hose them down then dry them out with hairdryer before plugging in.

Clint

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a gas oven with a pilot light & have always found just putting something in with the pilot did a good job. The normal temp is 105 & very dry. TX

WaltH

Enlightened
I didn't want to overstep my bounds and speak for Peter but there wasn't a doubt in my mind he would take care of you. The man/company is amazing when it comes to customer service.
Glad to hear you have a new one on the way.
Keep it dry! I have never tested the water-proofness of any of my lights other than the UK's other than normal rain and such.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I did put a meat thermometer in the oven!
I guess great minds think alike
wink.gif
. The temp never got above 200 deg. in the oven, i watched it very closely. I have no clue as to why the arc ls got fried.The only thing i
can think of is water got into the led emitter by melting through the plastic or something like that, but it should be able to stand up to temps well over a hundred degrees.It gets hotter than that in my car in the summer!But i am very gratefull that
peter didn't leave me hanging with a crapped
out ls.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ccrowder:
Ovens will normally overshoot the preset temp by 50-100 degrees on preheat. After oven preheats lets say you have it set on 350 deg it will heat up to 375 then cool down to 325 which gives you a 350 deg avg. I think a better way to dry out something electrical is to use a hair dryer. Before getting into appliance repair I repaired commercial coffee brewers and they can get rather nasty inside due to the coffee oils, so I would hose them down then dry them out with hairdryer before plugging in.

Clint
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly right. I used to design oven controls and confusingly, they don't regulate to a constant temp--like one would have guessed. You bounce around your target temp with a specific amplitude. I was told it's so that the hot peaks can cause 'browning' for baked goods. The low part of the cycle just makes up for the high parts--to keep the long term average right.

Also, most ovens don't go down below 170 as at that temp, they can't kill bacteria and such--you turn your oven into a big culture tube and people get sick, and they sue you, etc.

I'd second the hairdryer idea.

Brock

Flashaholic
Just a trick we use on sound gear we bring in from outside in the winter and need it to work quick. We open it up and use a hair dryer slowly moving back and for on low speed. Much faster then an oven and less likely to actually cook it
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Peter,Is this going to be Arc warranty policy on all of these LS seconds?I know I held out a long time debating whether or not to order a second because of their non-warranty.I'm happy these guys got replacements,but I think this is a little confusing for the customer who held out to pay full price for a first- just to get the warranty.
troy

Status
Not open for further replies.