Some pics of my new Quad-LuxIII from Icarus

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after using this light for a bit over a week, I have finally got all my pictures taken. As some of you may already know, I already have a wonderful creation made by the master...my Red Dragon, which is a tri-luxV. I used this other light for comparsions sake, as they both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

I received this beauty from Icarus a couple weeks ago, but had to wait for some batteries to arrive before I started my testing. My intial impressions were the usual of Freddy's work; attention to detail, wonderful design, and an overall great guy to deal with. The light is a tri-bored 2.5D body, with a finned head and custom tailcap. 4xUWOJ LuxIII emitters sit on a custom copper heatsink with individual McR-20 reflectors behind a UCL lens....laying in a bed of glow-powder. The bFlex interface is powered by 6x17670's in series. Here are some pics of the light:

quad1.jpg

quad-bezel.jpg

Quad-dog.jpg

And here is another pic of my Tri-LuxV "Red Dragon":
dragon_3.jpg

Now that you have been introduced to the light, lets get down to business :naughty: I tested overall ouput with my home-made lightbox, and lux @ 1meter.

Quad-LuxIII: Overall output: ~350 lumens max
Lux @ 1meter: ~9,000 lux

Tri-LuxV: Overall output: ~500 lumens max
Lux @ 1meter: ~4,500 lux

From those figures alone, you get the idea of their advantages over one another. Although, it takes a good distance to see the difference in lux between the 2, the Red Dragon cleary has more overall output. I prefer the U-binned LED's tint in the Quad-lux over the Tri-LuxV, and that is saying a lot as the Dragon is VERY white and bright. Another huge advantage for the Quad-Lux is it's impressive runtime....~2.5hrs on high compared with ~25min for the Tri-LuxV. Thats because the LuxV's are battery vampires, and the Quad-Lux has almost 4x the battery capacity. Size advantage goes to the LuxV, as it is in a tri-bored 1.5D host.

QuadIII on left, TriV on right:
quad-dragon1.jpg

Both on a lower level to try to illustrate hot-spot differences:
quad-dragon2.jpg

~50ft indoors Quad-LuxII:
quad-high.jpg

Tri-LuxV:
dragon-high.jpg

Outside ~70yards Quad-LuxIII:
g-quad.jpg

Tri-LuxV:
g-dragon1.jpg

Bottom line, I feel unstoppable with both lights in my hand at night :devil: They are both wicked lights as are all of Icarus' creations. He does his job very well :) Lastly, I just wanted to thank Freddy for giving me the opportunity to make this review happen...you are the man :rock:

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations Strauss, very very nice:twothumbs...:clap:

Like you said, Freddy is the man:thumbsup:

Best regards

____
Tom

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, heh. Awesome. Swap those LuxIIIs' for Seouls' and watch out. I gotta do something like that....

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Heh, heh. Awesome. Swap those LuxIIIs' for Seouls' and watch out. I gotta do something like that....

Already thought about that, but the heatsink is stuck in the light, so it would be EXTREMELY difficult do an emitter swap :awman: Just another excuse to buy another light anyways.....

I think my next multi-emitter set-up is gonna be a 7x Cree in a small Mag host, as long as I can talk the guy into making one for me :whistle:

Nereus

Enlightened
Strauss, one of your pics will certainly qualify also in this thread... I am not telling you which one... you have to figure that out by yourself.
sssh.gif

Thanks to Strauss for the great review and
bowdown.gif
goodjob.gif
to Icarus for building the flashlight!

-N

P.S. Cute dog!
smile.gif

Last edited: