DX "HASTO" LED Headlamp with Seoul Upgrade

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a bunch of questions about the Headlamp, that I modify to use a Seoul P4 U-Bin / W0 color, and sell (see my signature).

Well, here is a picture review. If you have questions, let me know. I intend to get some current readings later.

The headlamp features a 1W setting, 3W setting, and dual-LED red blinker.

Front:
IMG_1264.jpg

Back, notice two magnets which hold the unit against a metal cabinet, etc.
IMG_1265.jpg

Straight-ahead shot, with blinking red LED's
IMG_1279.jpg

Switch is on one side, the black button.
IMG_1266.jpg

The battery compartment is on the opposite side:
IMG_1267.jpg

Unscrew to expose battery pack:
IMG_1269.jpg

Battery Pack slides out:
IMG_1268.jpg

1W setting, running on 3 AAA NiMH:
Hasto_Low_NiMH.jpg

3W setting, running on 3 AAA NiMH:
Hasto_Hi_NiMH.jpg

REFERENCE PHOTO: Fenix P1D-CE (Low-12 lumens) running on 3.0V Lithium primary:
Fenix_P1D-CE_Low_Lith3V.jpg

REFERENCE PHOTO: Fenix P1D-CE (Med-72 lumens) running on 3.0V Lithium primary:
Fenix_P1D-CE_Med_Lith3V.jpg

REFERENCE PHOTO: Fenix P1D-CE (High-135 lumens) running on 3.0V Lithium primary:
Fenix_P1D-CE_High_Lith3V.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the beamshots are for the modded version running NiMH batteries, what I would expect most people would be using. It would probably be brighter running Alkaline or Lithium e^2. It's probably 90-100 lumens on high with NiMH according to the photographs (your eyeballs may vary)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, very impressive!

Have you modded a PT EOS with a soul or cree yet? If so how are the results? I have a SXOH modded EOS with reflector and would love mine to get the Cree/P4 upgrade!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other headlamps I have modified are Dorcy and Brinkmann. No Apex yet.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the front of the package, for more info about the stock application. The back of the package just shows how to change the batteries.

Where it says "Normal LED", substitute "Water-Clear red LED, flashing only"

IMG_1286.jpg

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
No, the beamshots are for the modded version running NiMH batteries, what I would expect most people would be using. It would probably be brighter running Alkaline or Lithium e^2. It's probably 90-100 lumens on high with NiMH according to the photographs (your eyeballs may vary)

Looking at your reference medium (72 lumen) and high (135 lumen) photos, your estimate of around 90 to 100 is very reasonable.

How is the general construction quality of the headlamp, for example would the plastic last battery changes?

It looks like a hell of a deal as this is the *only* Cree headlamp available anywhere in the world :)

- Vikas

IdiotsAbound

Newly Enlightened
Vikas Sontakke said:
Looking at your reference medium (72 lumen) and high (135 lumen) photos, your estimate of around 90 to 100 is very reasonable.

How is the general construction quality of the headlamp, for example would the plastic last battery changes?

It looks like a hell of a deal as this is the *only* Cree headlamp available anywhere in the world :)

- Vikas

He put a Seoul in the lamp, not a Cree. :)

I have the same headlight from DX and I am just waiting for the 3 U-bin Seouls I ordered to show up. I am looking forward to modifying my Hasto with the Seoul.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vikas Sontakke said:

- Vikas

It seems very sturdy to me for a plastic headlamp. I guess many of them are plastic for light weight. There are no weak points succeptable to breakage that I can tell. I've messed with about a dozen of these, none have been defective and the battery cartridges work without a problem.

alphazeta

Enlightened
That looks gorgeous. I also happen to have the same light(unmodded).

I have a quick question. Upon the clicking, the light I have does not switch between 1W & 3W modes. The light output is at 1w for both modes. Any suggestions on how I should proceed on fixing this? Perhaps the traces on the circuit are poorly done?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(and of course after ordering a handful of cree stars for a fixed lighting project just this morning, I promptly put in an order for a seoul thanks to this thread):grin2:

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
It seems very sturdy to me for a plastic headlamp. I guess many of them are plastic for light weight. There are no weak points succeptable to breakage that I can tell. I've messed with about a dozen of these, none have been defective and the battery cartridges work without a problem.

I was eyeing these up because they looked, from the pictures , to have an aluminum heatsink. Are you saying they are entirely plastic?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there is a metal heat sink. I have not pulled the headlamp completely apart to access the driver circuitry.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have begun doing a relative brightness runtime using 1000 mAh Powerex NiMH cells. I will have 3W results soon, 1W results will probably be tomorrow.

I am logging measurements manually every 5 minutes using a solar cell, loaded with 490 ohm resistor, and DMM.

Last edited:

Bogie

Enlightened
BugLightGeek said:
any chance of making the red LED's NOT blink?
Yea thats what im intrested in & keep finding Headlamps with blinking red's. I have a Ray-O-Vac 3in1 but want somthing better but really need steady red

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much does this mug weigh?

Also, I agree... the red LEDs need to be able to be constantly on... someday headlamp manufacturers will understand the importance of red light... ;)

ManBearPig

Newly Enlightened
I swapped out the Luxeon in my dorcy headlamp last night with a cree and the results were terrible. It looks like I need to order one of these and an SSC led on my next DX order. Thanks!