another thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spork

Enlightened
I had been meaning to post this for a while but I've been kinda busy. I wanted to give another thanks to Mr Gransee and everyone at Arc Flashlight. I recently bought one of the blister pack Arc's however the body didn't have the chem cote. Mr Gransee sent me a new body right away at no charge. I have a lot of favorite flashlights but the arc-aaa is simply the best made right now. I also like how Mr Gransee gives you the option of what battery types you can use with the ls instead of being lithium only. Your service and quality flashlights is amazing. I have never seen a company that treated their customers this well.

thank you

Chris

Empath

Flashaholic
What did you have to do to get the replacement? I purchased a AAA after Peter described the new model. It came in a blister pac, but neither the body nor the threads of the head indicated chemkote. I can't tell any difference between it and model 2.
mad.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilAlex:
So? Mine doesn't have it either.

But... What >IS< Chemcote?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So? You ask, SO? So I purchased a model 3. It was described like this:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter:
Here's what the Arc-AAA 3.0 adds:

Price increased from $24.95 to $28.95 for white, red, blue, green, turquoise, amber, orange and IR. UV is still $44.95

SB2 rank Nichia (standard blueish tint) in the whites, new LEDs for the red, amber, orange (brighter and smoother, esp the red looks nice), Nichias also in the turquiose, green, blue and UV.

Type III HA finish in black

Waterproof now to 10 feet

Retail rack ready blister pack with color insert, Duracell alkaline AAA cell, warranty, instructions, etc.

ChemKote interior and threads ("Clear anodine"). Smoother threads, better PCB grounding, improves corrosion resistance and also looks nice (adds an easy to notice gold tint to the interior).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the original; I had version 2; I had the LE. The purpose of the purchase was to have version 3. That answers your "SO"; I guess Peter's description answered your question about Chemkote.
rolleyes.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Hmmm. Yes, I had the same trouble. Ordered a batch of what I thought would be 3.0's. Six of nine had no ChemKote at all, and the other three just had the threads of the heads coated. All of these were in blister packs, of course.
frown.gif

prn

Newly Enlightened
So the advantages of version 3.0 should be (1) HA III (also in v.2.5?) (2) S rank LED and (3) ChemKote. Right? As I understood from one of Peter's posts, the blister-packs had either version 3.0 or the "rare" version 2.5 (which was still supposed to be hard anodized, IIRC).

I'm not sure, but it looks like either version 2.5 is a lot less rare than some of us thought we understood or a lot of version 3.0 lights went out without the Chemkote. I got mine from TTS a couple of weeks ago and also don't seem to have the Chemkote, though it was in the blister pack. Beyond that, I know of no way to tell whether I got a version 3.0 light with no Chemkote or a version 2.5. Like Darell, I also bought from TTS because I thought I'd be getting the "latest and greatest".

I'm not really complaining because it is a very nice little light. OTOH, since I don't know what is happening, I suppose I'll wait a while and then try Brightguy or somesuch and see if I can win the 3.0 lottery that way.

Paul

prn

Newly Enlightened
Ah! I just looked back again and see that a battery is included in the 3.0 version. (At least, I read that as indicating a change. Is it?)

I did get a battery in with mine, so does that indicate that it was a 3.0 that missed its Chemkote or does it just mean that it was "at least version 2.5"?

Paul

Darell

Flashaholic
Everything in a blister pack will have a battery.

The HA III came out a bit before 3.0.

The S rank LED came out long before 3.0.

When I last spoke to Peter, he was surprised to hear that there were completely non-ChemKoted units in blister packs. He wasn't surprised that some just had the heads done, but was surprised that some came even without the heads coated.

At least I'm glad I wasn't the only one to receive these "pre, pre" 3.0 blister packs. Misery just loves company
smile.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well gee Darell, if you don't want those Arcs I'm sure someone would be happy to take care of them for you (like me, maybe?)

Need more Glowrings yet?
grin.gif

Graham

prn

Newly Enlightened
Graham asks:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Need more Glowrings yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is a trade offer, I might be interested. I was thinking of asking who knew of a source for the Glowrings.

But now, back to another matter: I may have mentioned somewhere that my profession is computer programming. Note that it is not diplomacy. No President to date has yet asked me to be an ambassador. This may possibly have something to do with a chronic ailment I have been known to suffer from known as hoof-in-mouth disease. I fear that I have thoughtlessly caused distress to William (TTS). I do want to say, quite publicly, that I hold him (and Peter) quite blameless. I did not intend to b*tch about my Arc being without Chemkote. I was (and still am) honestly curious about what happened and what the version story is, but I am not at all unhappy that I bought the light. William is quite a good guy and I do not in any way want to cause him distress. I stupidly mentioned a competitor as I was wondering about my future participation in the version lottery, but if I order from someone else, it would most likely be because I was simultaneously ordering other items that William did not carry. I have said to William (in e-mail) that I do not have any problems or regrets with him or his service, but I want to have a go here at extracting my foot from my mouth.

Paul

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...well, if you're brave enough to attack one of the looong Arc AAA threads (can't remember which one..), you should be able to find one of Peter's posts in which he describes clearly the versions and various changes, including the Chemkote thing.

Myself, I have a couple of 'blister pack' ones I got from William, and they just had the chemkote on the head assembly and not the body. Didn't really bother me though..

Anyway, if you're interested in doing a trade for some Glowrings, I can probably help you out.. be aware that I'm in Japan though, so it kinda makes things a little interesting.

Graham

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by prn:
I fear that I have thoughtlessly caused distress to William (TTS). I do want to say, quite publicly, that I hold him (and Peter) quite blameless. I did not intend to b*tch about my Arc being without Chemkote. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

William could hardly be considered at fault. TTS is where mine came from too. With yours, Darell's and mine all being other than version 3, it appears that William received some version 3 lights that weren't really version 3. TTS is no more at fault than we.

The lottery is too expensive for me. Paying for it once was enough. I'll just do without a version 3 in my collection.
frown.gif

prn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Graham:
Hmm...well, if you're brave enough to attack one of the looong Arc AAA threads (can't remember which one..), you should be able to find one of Peter's posts in which he describes clearly the versions and various changes, including the Chemkote thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading that one, but it doesn't answer my curiosity about what I have. That is, the AAAs are not marked, so what you can't tell is whether I or Darell or whoever has a "rare" version 2.5 or what was intended to be version 3.0 but without the Chemkote. Also, in particular, it doesn't answer (for Peter) whether there are just more 2.5s in the pipeline than most of us thought there were or whether 3.0s are slipping through QC without the Chemkote. That latter question is one that Peter is likely to want the answer to rather badly.

Myself, I have a couple of 'blister pack' ones I got from William, and they just had the chemkote on the head assembly and not the body. Didn't really bother me though..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It mainly makes me feel intensely curious. Why is the Chemkote only on the head assembly? Are they just part of the transition from 2.5 to 3.0 or did something get missed?

Anyway, if you're interested in doing a trade for some Glowrings, I can probably help you out.. be aware that I'm in Japan though, so it kinda makes things a little interesting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I understood that. OTOH, if Arcs are hard to get in Japan and Glowrings are hard to get here, then it might be a worthwhile endeavor (or should that be "endeavour"?
grin.gif
) If it's just for my sake, I should probably look around a bit here for some. I may or may not find them right away, but I probably will eventually. But if you want something from here (e.g. an Arc, but not restricted to that), then send me e-mail.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Darell:
Heck, I don't blame anybody either. I just wonder how it happened, and wish it hadn't. No harm, no foul.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

Paul

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by prn:
It mainly makes me feel intensely curious. Why is the Chemkote only on the head assembly? Are they just part of the transition from 2.5 to 3.0 or did something get missed?

Paul
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't be sure if it was ever stated outright by Peter, but I got the idea that due to the way Arc AAAs are made, the stock of bodies may get ahead of the head assemblies, since some revisions only apply to the head assemblies. So when a new revision of the head assembly is put into production, it may be mated with bodies already produced. In most cases it wouldn't be obvious, but I would say that the Chemkote change was probably one of the few which affected both head assembly and body.

I'm pretty sure that Peter mentioned that there might be some which got out during the transition period, with pre-Chemkote bodies.

Just my thoughts. Peter would need to confirm this if true, or correct if otherwise..

Graham

Empath

Flashaholic
Regardless, the one beginning this thread is thanking Peter for correcting a "ChemKoteless" part by sending a replacement ChemKoted part. My question was, and still is, what does it take for such special consideration? Are some targeted as worthy of such, and others viewed as just another player in the feature/version lottery?
confused.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right Graham, a mod that affects both pieces would show in the head first.

Empath, I am a softy, all you got to do is ask.
smile.gif

Peter

prn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am softy, all you got to do is ask.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're too much of a softy, Peter. I'm not going to ask.

I'll take my lumps like a man!
tongue.gif

Seriously, it's a darn nice light and I'm going to keep it.

Paul

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
Empath, I am a softy, all you got to do is ask.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter,
Not being bashful, had there been sufficient justification I wouldn't have hesitated to ask. There must be a reason then, that I'd hesitate to take advantage of such an offer. After your description of version 3, perhaps I could have been assured of getting all that version had to offer had I ordered directly from Arc. Instead, since his price is so tempting, and since I have the utmost confidence in William, I ordered from Texas Tactical. Now if you'll notice, the product description of the Arc AAA on William's site does not fully describe the version 3. In fact, the description even offers water resistance to 3 feet, rather than the 10 feet offered by version 3. I ordered from a source that never promised a version 3.

In other words, I've no claim to replacement, neither legitimately nor ethically. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking and taking advantage of your nature. Perhaps the steam I've blown is sufficient to appease me. Thanks for the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.