have you sputter guys tried this krylon reflect-a-lite

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice...

If I remember correctly, these are also being sold online with another name and label, for use on license-plates...

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very interesting. Could bring new life to all the stock Mag reflectors I have laying around :)

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is this paint is not for a reflector but a reflective surface, like these 3M tapes used in the rear of trucks or used by people that work in the street at night. Also kinda like the street signals that shine at night.

Pablo

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU said:
My guess is this paint is not for a reflector but a reflective surface, like these 3M tapes used in the rear of trucks or used by people that work in the street at night. Also kinda like the street signals that shine at night.

Pablo

Yes but it may very well work to sputter a smooth reflector to remove artifacts in the beam.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
not only may it work but when you think about it again , if this makes light reflect brighter then it could mean more lumens , you may even just put a simple layer coating on it and it would be good :)

update same as added in first post http://www.autobarn.net/dupnlseries.html

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You KNOW I have to get some of this stuff. It's 20$!! The glass beads act like cat's eyes, I think, and should be classifyed as 'retro-reflective' in the sense that the light bounces back directly at the light source.

This would be great to paint stealth messages in your neighborhood.

I wonder how reflective it is. I haven't yet laid my hands on some raw dry reflective beads... the road painting crews have 5 gal. buckets of the stuff... they just sprinkle it over the wet paint to make a retro-reflective coating. That would be a lot brighter, probably.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im gonna visit autobarn tomorrow ,if i think im right about more light i will be giddy :clap: like i just found a pot of gold

dfred

Enlightened
While this paint might have some very useful applications, my first thought is that it wouldn't be suitable for use on a flashlight reflector. Being retroreflective, wouldn't it tend to reflect a lot of the light back at the emitter/filament rather than out the front of the flashlight?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
but if the reflector itself points & directs that light out the front ,then wouldnt that work as well .....gonna find out soon

dfred

Enlightened
Yea, I didn't mean to suggest people shouldn't give this a try. I'll be interested to hear the results -- sometimes stuff like this can be non-intuitive.

Incidentally, using this to paint kid's bike frames would be great, especially those that don't like reflectors, fenders, etc. on their bikes.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone find any , i went to homedepot autobarn and autozone ...nothing :(

Clickie

Newly Enlightened
What exactly do you mean by "sputter"? I know what the end result is but I wondering how you actually do it?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think it could reflect light back into the emitter, maybe even causing damage. But I think it will make it more visible when looking at it, like save a 1 mile radios of visiblity maybe pushes it to 2. Just a theory.