Newly Enlightened
1. Mag 3D
2. SSC P4 x4
3. IMS 20mm x4
4. TaskLED bFlex
5. 12aa -> 3D adapter
6. PES heatsink
7. 12xAA NiMH AA

Would this work? I'm concerned about the bFlex requiring 1.1V to run the board on top of the series-connected LEDs. I'm hoping to run it at 1A on burst and 700mA otherwise. What vf would the SSC's require at 1A? I'm guessing that at 3.6V I would be really pushing those batts. Runtime needs to be an hour at most.

I'm avoiding Li-ion right now, so would this mod be doable and be able to get rid of the heat?

ghadlock

Newly Enlightened
I built something very similar this past weekend, only I used the Shark driver with a 3D Mag and 9AA batteries and the McR-20 Seoul. It came out great- just know that the SSC P4 will not fit perfectly into the PES2 indentions so you'll have to take great care with your alignment (and have reflectors in hand to help position the emitters before the epoxy dries!

Vf was around 13.5 volts for the entire string at 980ma, and using 2700maH AAs I get around 1 hour and 40 minutes of run time (at 980ma). Not quite your scenario but very similar.

ktronik

Enlightened
using the bflex, you will need 12AA for just 3 LEDs...(for full range of battery)

4 LED off 12AA will work but you may not be able to get full range of battery drain before it drops out of reg...

best

Ktronik

zeeexsixare said:
1. Mag 3D
2. SSC P4 x4
3. IMS 20mm x4
4. TaskLED bFlex
5. 12aa -> 3D adapter
6. PES heatsink
7. 12xAA NiMH AA

Would this work? I'm concerned about the bFlex requiring 1.1V to run the board on top of the series-connected LEDs. I'm hoping to run it at 1A on burst and 700mA otherwise. What vf would the SSC's require at 1A? I'm guessing that at 3.6V I would be really pushing those batts. Runtime needs to be an hour at most.

I'm avoiding Li-ion right now, so would this mod be doable and be able to get rid of the heat?

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... I see now - I think I'll go with that setup too but with IMS. How much did your total bill come to? ~$200 with those reflectors?

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about -
mag 2D
2 x 18650
latest trisink for SSC P4 ( will be out soon just wait for it in the Dealers Corner )
3 x IMS20 or 3 x Khatod 25mm optic from PhotonFanatic
Direct drive with no driver :naughty: as the heatsink is excellent enough to suck the heat.

Gryloc

Enlightened
I created a quad 2D Mag last year using TWOH LuxIII emitters and the good 'ol Fatman. I don't see how the Shark is much better (seems almost confusing to set up). Some SSC P4 U-WO-bin are on their way to me for an "update". I am using the IMS 20mm reflectors (which I will have to trim up a little). I am still unsure whether to invest so much money to buy McR 20mm reflectors (ouch $$).

I cannot wait for the emitters to come! I have my Maglite set up to dim by twisting the head (since it is not needed to focus due to fixed reflectors). I have it set up where the potentiometer (for reducing current) is attached to the head in a certain way. This will be exciting when using these new, efficient emitters (can you say super bright long lasting low/moon mode?). I am using only 6 AA NiMH batteries. It works great, but some day I will have to get my Maglite bored out for 8AA's or I might have to invest in 2 or 3 of AW's Lithium C batteries :drool: (again expensive for me). I am using the old PQS heatsink, as I believe the new one screws in and may not work with my dimming head device. I will have to check. Hmmm...

Your set up sounds good, but I agree that fewer batteries and a Fatman or Shark boost driver (or equivalent) will work better. Remember that the Fatman can not have more than 2A on the input. Mine is pushing that limit. I run my emitters at a tiny bit above 1A. It should be potted to some metal at this point (mine has a mini custom heatsink). The Shark is slightly different (is it 3A?). Just remember to consider the voltage input and voltage output, along with driver efficiency. Oh, and don't forget the max voltage of the driver, of course. Good luck, and keep us updated! Multiple emitter mods are my favorite! It is always nice to see people attempt this exciting and blinding mod (boo tiny single AA lights -kidding).

-Tony

ghadlock

Newly Enlightened
Here's a rough estimate:

1 x SHARK Step up Converter Board **NEW** $27.00
4 x Seoul P4 U bin White $50.00
4 x McR-20 Seoul $72.00
1 x Perfect Emitter Sink2 Tri/Quad PES - D $18.00
1x FiveMega 9AA to 3D Battery Holder $38.00

Total: $205.00

Notice that I bought the McR-20 Seoul version and the hole that sits on the emitter is too large in my opinion. If I were to do it again I'd use the regular McR-20s or the IMS-20 as I think they both have smaller holes and would sit on the emitter better (and be easier to center). I would love to hear some other input on this and if the IMS-20s work better you'd trim your bill by $64.00 if you take advantage of Elektrolumens $2.00 IMS-20 sale! One other comment...I love the Shark converter board, especially the set it and forget it setting for current.

Last edited: