Just won a 238 led light. Who wants to touch me? (added photo)

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+2]Photos Added and impressions.[/size]

It came in the mail while I was at out on the road. It draws about an amp with the cells I scrounged in the kitchen drawers. It has 238 blue tinted 3mm leds. Not bad really. I am posting the pics here for new thread readers.

Captions on the pics should suffice.
238WL_profile.jpg

238_vs_Mag_3D.jpg

Big_3.jpg

Hello_Dave.jpg

ckt_brd.jpg

And a picture using that light as the source.
238WL_Tops.jpg

It has been on while I did these photos. About an hour. No throbbing leds yet. It is kind of warm but only barely. The photo above was handheld at something around 1/15-1/30 of a second. I was resting the camera on my hands on the table.

Build quality is not that bad. I was hoping for 238 whoppin' 5mm leds. Oh Well.

[highlight]Original Post Below[/highlight]

I'm weak. I admit it. I just won a light on Ebay that has 238 led's and is driven by three D cells. I was looking at a 158 light that uses 8 AA cells until I calculated the current draw. This is worse of course but the D cells can cope.

I just hope they don't flicker. ;) my last biggun was 41 or 42 led's.

Pellidon's silly new light

The head is large enough, maybe I can mod it to use a dozen each cree and seoul led's

Last edited:

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
Re: Just won a 238 led light. Who wants to touch me?

Wow!! I guess it would have pretty good flood, any idea on the lumens?

Robert

HarveyRich

Enlightened

Are they in series or parallel?:popcorn: :whistle:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

That thing is going to get tremendously hot after being on for more than several seconds. I've sat on the 128 LED light at DX a couple times pondering before... now I guess I don't need one of those anymore :p
I doubt that those are the highest performing 5mm LEDs in there as well. Just imagine the output with higher performing LEDs.

True

Newly Enlightened

Gigantisaurus Rex.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do they make these? Are the LEDs all soldered by hand or machine?

mdocod

Flashaholic

i thought my 100LED piece of crap as overkill... lol... at least the 238LED uses proper batteries for such an application... 3 NIMH Ds would be best... at 20ma per led, it would take ~4.7amps to power up... alkalines would choke. perhaps the manufacture counts on the alkalines choking under the load to keep things settled down fast enough not to burn up the crappy LEDs...

I would guesstimate around 500+ lumens will come out the head of that thing... if it drives the LEDs at 15+ma each..... if less then, maybe not so bright.... just imagine though... if it were 238 premium new LEDs over 100lm/w, it'd be like 1500+ lumens.... but would probably cost about $300 instead of $40.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, make a regulated battery pack for it :) :)

then change all the LEDs to better or at least brighter ones....

you own HID and CREES!!!

LightForce

Newly Enlightened

The people who make such a things probably have never ever heard about high power LEDs..:duck::green::hahaha:

flash_bang

Enlightened

well, this is nuts :popcorn::lolsign:
have a good one,
Flash

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would guesstimate around 500+ lumens will come out the head of that thing... if it drives the LEDs at 15+ma each..... if less then, maybe not so bright.... just imagine though... if it were 238 premium new LEDs over 100lm/w, it'd be like 1500+ lumens.... but would probably cost about $300 instead of $40.
Hmm... for the money (referring to premium LEDs) I'd rather set up an "array" of 15 U-Bin Seoul emitters with Collimating optics, it would probably fit in the same size, but be a LOT brighter, even if each was underdriven (thus more efficient).

greenstuffs

Banned

I had one of those chinese lights with 12 LED's and each LED will start burning out after couple weeks i had 3 LED's out now with 238 :whistle:

ManBearPig

Newly Enlightened

Nice traffic light. Do they come in yellow/red/green?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am not expecting much from the quality department. I may be pleasantly surprised. Even if it is so-so.

I was thinking 3D to 12AA or maybe an array of Lithium rechargeables. :)

mdocod

Flashaholic

well... my 100LED job never burnt out an LED... but of course... the switch assembly popped out of the tube and pulls itself loose every time I remove the head, which usually tears a wire off of a solder point, so it's a piece of garbage that I haven't been able to use long enough to know if the LEDs will burn out... I did remove the resistor from mine, much brighter this way.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

LightForce said:
The people who make such a things probably have never ever heard about high power LEDs..:duck::green::hahaha:

I bet the same company that makes these lights also makes lights with Luxeons, Crees and Seouls, both authentic and copied.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

What the hell that thing is down right hilarious! I thought the 128 LED lights were bad but this is to a whole nother level. I always wished that the pro modders on here would make a multi LED light (50+) all Nichia CS U bin and run them at 20ma and make the light fully regulated. It would have incredible output and great runtime. Any volunteers?