Future of Cree lights and their pricing

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
The trend over the last few months has seen brighter better lights getting cheaper. I can't count how many posts I've seen dinging Fenix for their prices.

I'm just wondering if in the near future most of us will be unwilling to spend more than $30 on a standard production cree based light.

Case in point, will/is the Rexlight be worth $50-$60 (based on the proposed specs) or will that price put most people off?

It seems reasonable to assume this class of light will eventually be no more than $20 or so, if that.

aml

Newly Enlightened
HAHAHAHA........

yet ANOTHER rexlight thread.....but at least this one was disguised!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have a Rexlight so I won't go down that path, but it seems to me that there ar a good # of cree lights arround the $80 mark. The Huntlight, Wolfeyes, Lumapower M1, Amalite T5 are all arround that price more or less.

I would not mind spending more if better lights come out. If the Striker P4 (175.00) would have been in stock when I had a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket...I would have gladly bought it.

I just need to feel the money is justified. I used to justify the price of my old Surefire lights on HA-III coatings and Orange Peel reflectors and coated glass back when nobody else did those things. Now you can have all that for well under $100, so something else would need to make the light "special"

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Abouna said:
It seems reasonable to assume this class of light will eventually be no more than $20 or so, if that.
If think it will only reach that level when the next improvement in LED tech arrives ....

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm not going to be so cheap that I won't spend more than $30 on a Cree based light, but if the Rexlight is awesome I am going to have a hard time doing it all that often.
I just ordered a Amilite T5 after all the positive comments and great reviews it has been getting. It looks like it is easily worth $80 and most likely much more (thankfully Amilite prices their lights reasonably). It has two stages, INCREDIBLE output, good regulated runtime, and awesome build quality. If it had Surefire written on the side of it then it would cost $100 more and everyone would be going nuts about it.