REVIEW: TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED - with beamshots

howl of the yeti

Newly Enlightened
I didn't want to hijack a thread so I thought I'd start another. This is my review of the new TerraLUX SEOUL inserts for 3-6D Maglites (MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED) - with beamshots for comparison. Go easy on me...it's my first beamshot.

So, in answer to whether they're working, I got two from batteryjunction.com, each popped in different maglites and fired instantly...so no problems.

Below you'll find a beamshot. It was produced by standing 4 maglites on their battery cap on a floor, and shining them at a ceiling 12 feet up. Thus, the distance between glass and ceiling was about 11 feet. Each beam is labeled (and hopefully readable). The flashlights (each had new 1.5V alkalines that tested at 100%) used were:

1) 3D Maglite with stock bulb

2) 3D Maglite with drop-in Maglite LED for 3D

3) 3D Maglite with TerraLUX MaxStar5-5 Watt Luxeon TLE-6K2

4) 3D Maglite with TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 TLE-6E (SEOUL)

By far, the new Seoul inserts are brighter and cleaner. I have yet to test them in the woods or in a cave...but soon. Anyway, they are brighter, and they did work for me right out o the box. Thoughts?

magbeams.jpg

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent side-by-side beamshots...they say a LOT! Good job; I hope you do some outdoor beamshots. thanx for sharing!

PJD

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots...it looks well worth the money if you have a mag light.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Isn't the TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC the same as a 6K2 with a Seoul led? (It's listed as CREE here?) I have both the MagLED and TLE-6K2... both have something to be desired...

The price seems about right, but how's the dimming over time? Any heat issues? It seems like the 6K2 but with a SSC emitter copy and pasted over it. I've read it's being run at 700ma like the 6K2.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Effulgence said:
Isn't the TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC the same as a 6K2 with a Seoul led? (It's listed as CREE here?) I have both the MagLED and TLE-6K2... both have something to be desired...

The price seems about right, but how's the dimming over time? Any heat issues? It seems like the 6K2 but with a SSC emitter copy and pasted over it. I've read it's being run at 700ma like the 6K2.

Yeah, seems people either get confused or mislabel SSCP4 emitters. Yes, it's true that they use the Cree die, but they are made by Seoul Semiconductor and not Cree. The new TLE-6EX is the same base and electronics as the TLE-6K2, just with an SSCP4 LED rather than a K2.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeti, nice work. Just a bit surprised that the stock mag bulb is that bright compared to the others. Mine is much dimmer, even on fresh cells.
I think everybody here would love some outdoor beamshots, if you get the time.
Cheers.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Thank you!! Finally someone took some comparison ceiling shots! Instantly my main question of brightness and "is it worth it" has been answered. My TerraLux 6EX should be showing up any day now… can't wait.

How about a ceiling shot showing the new TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED in a 4 cell maglite? So we can see how bright it is compared to the 3 cell? Should be even brighter...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
How is the TerraLux Seoul set up for head transferance to the Mag body. Is there a runtime graph posted somewhere showing lux over time?

Bill

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks alot for the pics! I was waiting for someone to do this. Could you put the Cree drop in into a 4D (or more) Maglite and take some pics of that? It is supposedly quite a bit brighter on 4 cells.

bridgman

Enlightened
I'm trying to get some pics of that as we speak. My upgrade arrived in the mail today. First test was to drop it into a 4D mag then go outside comparing it against a 2D MagLED (previously verified to be very similar to the 4D MagLED) and some other lights.

Unfortunately it's really foggy outside so couldn't do all the throw testing but initial reaction is really good. The 2D MagLED was just a tiny bit less bright than the 4D MagLED before -- after putting the TerraLUX upgrade into the 4D the difference was dramatic. Beam shape is similar, although I think the hotspot is more "Scorpion-like", ie brighter in the center than the periphery, which I like.

At a distance of 100-odd feet, the TerraLUX met my "bright enough" threshold while the 2D MagLED clearly did not. If I had to guess, I would say that the TerraLUX was twice as bright as the 2D MagLED, ie a bit less than twice as bright as the 4D MagLED. It's not as bright as a stock MagCharger, but it gives some of the same feel when lighting up something 50-100 feet away.

The difference between TerraLUX in a 4D is roughly midway between a MagLED 2D/4D and a ROP Low without resistance mods, ie significant.

I went outside to take some throw shots but it was really foggy, so I took a couple of "light sabre" shots then went downstairs to hunt walls. Pics in a minute.

Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
Nuts. I typed in a long post then hit "backspace" and lost everything. Short post this time. Here are the pics -- MagLED 2D on the left, TerraLUX in Mag 4D on the right.

I'm using the MagLED 2D as a reference because my camera won't do fixed exposure shots -- remember the MagLED 2D was only a tiny bit less bright than the MagLED 4D, so for all practical purposes you can consider this a "4D MagLED vs. TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4" comparo.

DSCN2917.JPG

DSCN2919.JPG

Cydonia

Enlightened
Great work bridgman! At first (and second) glance I thought the top picture was some kind of crawlspace or basement... started to creep me out, but then I realized it was actually taken outside! Instead of a tree that "thing" looked like a rusting pipe at first:laughing:

I'm liking this drop in more and more with each new pictures! I Can relax fully now, safe in the knowledge I made another good choice in my purchase of this TerraLux drop in ...:sleepy:

bridgman

Enlightened
Yeah, the first picture is kinda creepy. The trees look like rusting pipes even in the middle of the day. Red pine (aka Norway Pine) is not the most beautiful tree on the planet.

I think you made a great choice. This drop-in is verra nice. Just be careful threading it in.

EDIT -- forgot to say "thank you" to Howl of the Yeti for the original beamshots. They do a great job of comparing the different options. The "ceiling shot" is a great idea.

Last edited:

paulsl

Enlightened
Nice John and Yeti. I'm very happy with mine in a 3 cell D mag w/ 4 C cells & spring reversed.

Thx,

Pablo

howl of the yeti

Newly Enlightened
OK folks...had to clean it up a bit:

1) I did confuse Seoul with Cree and Matt's site had it listed under the Cree section. Anyway, I hope it was cleaned up sufficiently in the first post in the thread (back to top).

2) Sorry folks...I don't have any 4D units and since I seem to be flush in 3D now, I think that's where I'll keep my focus. Also, while all maglites are bulky, I find the 3D best for a dual purpose flashlight/club. 4D seems too unweildy to be handy.

3) Was in the mountains and tried to get outdoors shots but it was foggy every night. So, I'm still waiting...but I'll get some outdoor comparisons soon.

3) The camera I'm using is automatic, thus I have to take shots as comparisons since the settings wouldn't really be the same for each photo if I did them individually.

4) Lobo: The stock incan shot was taken with a new 3D unit. I don't have another stock unti to compare it with so I can't comment on whether it was brighter than normal.

5) I don't have any way to measure light. I haven't done runtime because of this. If people want raw time length I can do that...but they won't have light levels associated unless someone can mention some crude methodology I can use to provide something more meaningful to y'all.

Last edited:

Al

Enlightened
Batteryjunction lists the "TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 TLE-6E" as an upgrade for 4D - 6D Maglites.

Works in a 3D???

Al

Enlightened
Batteryjunction lists the "TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 TLE-6E" as an upgrade for 4D - 6D Maglites.

Works in a 3D???

Might be answering my own question ... Terralux' website shows two different Seoul-emitter modules:
"Model TLE-6EX available for 4, 5 and 6 cell C&D Maglites®
Model TLE-6EX-B available for 2 and 3 cell C&D Maglites®"