IBM's Magic Cross Heat Sinks --> cooler, brighter LED flashlights?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sure!! This is technology, its all concepts and methods.

Is is not thermal management the main factor in driving LEDs harder?

Gotta dig threads like this.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
Very cool!!! Pun intended!!! Heat is the enemy of all electronics and finding a simply and cost effective way to implement this in existing manufacturing is just going to benefit us consumers.

Gary

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is totally backwards to all the people who know about lapping because they are actually making trenches in to the sink.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems the trenches reduce the inconsistency and whats left is most efficient contact points.

If the numbers are there in regards efficiency, then new advance.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is totally backwards to all the people who know about lapping because they are actually making trenches in to the sink.

My thought on this is, lapping the two surfaces brings the molecules of each closer to each other therby allowing better heat transfer. Thermal paste fills in the molecular crevices aiding the same. So I would say lapping is still good as long as the paste is evenly spread out. On a manufacturing level to lap parts and spread the paste evenly wouldn't be cost effective, I would think.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a given on the thinness and evenness of thermal paste.
They are referring to etch on the heatsink only; micro trenches.

Laser etching is not overly expensive process and if there is a cost/benefit gain with numbers backing it up, done.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. When I lap I always finish with side to side only, not figure 8. So I may have been on to something! :)