RAY O VAC 3 WATT HIGH BEAM"

tomdooley62

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have any info on the Ray O Vac 3 watt "HighBeam" led 2aa light? I bought one at Kmart at lunch time. It seems to be constructed very well, thick aluminum walls ,o ringed,adjustable beam, pocket clip, rear twist on, push momentary switch, holster.Beautiful battleship gray finish with excellent machined grip. Price 29.99 Packaging similar to River Rock.

They also had a 1.25 watt for 19.99. Had a few new Dorcys but none of the really nice ones that are on Dorcys website.

I searched Ray O Vacs website and didnt see the lights listed anywhere.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one up at K Mart yesterday too. Mine is a bluish white light. Not a bad thing. I used it to drain some Ray O Vac Hybrids and it did not get too awful warm. The whole thing did get warm but a fan kept it cool to the touch. It runs at about 2 watts from my measurements and guess, 700 ma at the battery for alkalines.

It has a smooth reflector and a supposed 3 watt Luxeon. It is focusable but I didn't see the utility in that. Not a bad light but nothing to shake the rafters. I would put it at a 2AA magled without the extra length. It does look rather stylish.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For specifications, I beleive it is the Nuwai 320 light.

With a different set of batteries I am getting closer to 3 watts. The Hybrids are not up to snuff yet. They need a couple of cycles to get full potential.

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
That looks to be the same Nuwai x3 that cabela's is selling for the low low price of $19.99. I love mine.

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
A question for any of you who have this light: does the head simply unscrew? Have you tried to remove the pill? I'm wondering if this would be an easy light to mod. I like the form factor.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I guess Rayovac OEM'ed this flashlight then huh? Probably not surprising since most department store flashlight brands have their flashlights made elsewhere and usually by someone else.

tomdooley62

Newly Enlightened
Seeing as how Pellidon and parnass gave links to reviews I will forgo the pics. The ray o vac looks exactly like the Nuwai

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen how to get the pill out yet. I think it presses in from the tail end. I will have some idle time on my hands the next two days.

K Mart had the 1 watt for $19.99 and the 3 watt for $29.99

MorePower

Enlightened
parnass said:
Is the 1-watt light at K-Mart the same as this Nuwai X-1? I haven't visited K-Mart for a long time.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-1.htm

Nope. The Rayovac 1 Watt looks exactly like the X-3, but runs at about 250mA draw from 2 Nimh cells. Runtime with 2 2100mAh ROV Hybrids is ~6.8 hours. Similar runtime for 2 alkalines, but output starts higher due to higher initial voltage and current draw from alkalines.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
roverjohn said:
That looks to be the same Nuwai x3 that cabela's is selling for the low low price of $19.99. I love mine.

Thanks for pointing this out roverjohn. I order stuff from Cabelas fairly often, but rarely remember to check out their lights.

At K-Mart for 30 bucks, it may not be that great of a deal. But at Cabela's for 20 bucks, it looks to be strong competition for the 2AA MiniMagLED.

Interesting styling on this light - looks quite different from most of what's available in the 2AA arena.

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
ringzero said:
Thanks for pointing this out roverjohn. I order stuff from Cabelas fairly often, but rarely remember to check out their lights.

At K-Mart for 30 bucks, it may not be that great of a deal. But at Cabela's for 20 bucks, it looks to be strong competition for the 2AA MiniMagLED.

Interesting styling on this light - looks quite different from most of what's available in the 2AA arena.

In case anyone is looking for one at Cabelas online it is sold under the Cabelas brand. I don't have the packaging in front of me but they call it something like the Cabelas Extreme 3 watt hyper LED, or some other nonsensical combination of buzzwords. The main thing is it's $19.99, has Cabelas written on it, and it's way more robust fealling than a MM led if that is something you're looking for.

Last edited:

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
Marcus Aurelius said:
A question for any of you who have this light: does the head simply unscrew? Have you tried to remove the pill? I'm wondering if this would be an easy light to mod. I like the form factor.

The head does just unscrew but then you're left scratching your head because it's not clear what holds what in place.

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
I just saw one of these in person at K-Mart today. I have buying things from K-Mart because almost without fail you can find the same thing for less somewhere else. I really like the look of this, though. I wonder whether they will start putting them out with crees or sscp4s. Do they sell these are target now too and of so, for how much?

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
fishx65 said:
The Target version is Camo and about 25 bucks. I got a really nice one!

Thanks. Cabelas sells the light for $19 but then you have to pay shipping. So the Target price is still good, but I'm not sure how I feel about camo. Will have to have a look.

fishx65

Enlightened
The camo finish on the Target/River Rock model seems very durable. I think it might be the stuff they call Dura-coat which has been talked about on this site. I really like the looks of the camo finish but then again, I'm a hunter.