<b>upgrade</b>

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Re: [b]upgrade[/b]

Test reply.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Check out CandlePowerForums for cool stuff.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

<large>Goto my profile>>View/Update Profile and clear everything out of your Publicly Displayed Name and put in your handle or whatever you want displayed as your name. Please no UBB/HTML tags until I sort things out. (Excuse the harsh language. Nothing is you fault. Just some of the headeaches of upgrading.)</large>

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sorry to butt my way into your profile. I went in and changed it for you. The html tags were messing up the thread display.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like everything is upgraded now. The bug with the profile looks fixed. Go ahead and post away.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[b]upgrade[/b]

I'll be upgrading to UBB6 Thursday morning/afternoon. Messages in the private message area will be lost. If you have any important info there it would be wise to print it out.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
(Excuse the harsh language. Nothing is you fault. Just some of the headeaches of upgrading.)</large>[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see any harsh language, so no apology seems necessary. Thanks!
smile.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast

What are we supposed to do with the Rate Member feature?

I thought about giving myself a bunch of "Best" ratings, but didn't really see the point.
grin.gif

Okay I just TRIED to rate myself, and found out I couldn't. So now I'd have to get into a "you-scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours" agreement with another BB member, but I still don't see the point.
confused.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Some great new features!
cool.gif

What's the ranking system for "flashaholic" - is it based on number or posts?

Why is there a ratings system?

Well Done DavidW!
grin.gif

Alastair

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

It takes 10 posts to go from 'Member' to 'Flashaholic'.

You can rate other members. I haven't tried it yet. I guess it's supposed to be based on their quality of posting.

There's still private messages. But you have to check for messages through your profile now. Click on 'My Profile'. I miss 'preferences'. I constantly change between show all topics and show topics from last day. I now have to go through My Profile every time I want to change it.

I was enthusiastic in installing the latest version of UBB because it has features usually installed by the end user. Called hacks and developments.

I especially like turning off the "edited by..." line.

I enabled a cache feature because the new cgi version seems a lot slower than the old html version. I'll see how that works out.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The new version is buggy and slower than @&#*%. Sorry, but it's the truth, and I won't bother to candy-coat it.

1: When typing in a new message, the delete key no longer works.

2: Both myself and one other person have discovered that the topic list (and/or the message board list itself) do not load in Netscape. It just hangs there until you either kill Netscape, let it blow up on its own (takes between 5 and 40 minutes depending on your system resources and degree of local RAM fragmentation) or hit the ESC key (which still leaves you with a blank or mostly blank white screen) and reopen it in Internet Exploder.

3: It is about 30% as fast as it was a week ago. Takes 30-60 seconds with a blank screen to load up the topic list (in this example, the LED and Luminescent topic)before it actually displays the list.
Whatever method was used to cache the topic list is ineffective, at least with a typical user's browser & internet connection.
Maybe it loads much faster locally.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

Doug

Enlightened

Odd... seems to load fine for me... But, I have DSL ... maybe that is why?

Doug

Ps. No speel chicker?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I gather the problem comes from Netscape and how it handles javascript. I'll report the bug to Infopop.

When the spellchecker is made available for UBB6 I'll install it.

Note: this UBB is a beta version.

Size15's

Flashaholic

This forum was not working well about 8 hours ago... Seems to be working okay now.
The look and style here is cool and clear, but if it'll speed things up, I'm all for cutting down the gloss if need's must.

I don't use NetScape or whatever it's called as my PC doesn't like it (the battles in which I end up loosing!:mad
smile.gif

The Spellchecker is usually so slow, I check my post using a big book full of words in Alphabetical order, or just copy it to word, check it, and copy it back.
If I can be bothered (I can usually be bothered)

Al

Brock

Flashaholic

I am glad I finally tried getting in in Explorer. I can't get in with Netscape at all, and I agree with Telephony that is is WAY slower. I kept thinking it wasn't working so I would stop it. Then I left for a minute and came back and found it was loaded.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I use Netscape Communicator version (4.75) and it has been pure hell visiting this BBS since I registered. Because my system locks up. I have to constantly hit "reload", even then it only works when it "feels like it".

I have to go into "Preferences", then go into "advanced" then disable Java, sometimes I also have to disable Javascript. This keeps my browser from locking up & freezing "most of the time". Every time it locks up, I have to "ScanDisk" then "re-boot" the computer from scratch. What a pain in the arse!

I belong to about 10 BBS on the net, "candlepowerforums" is the only one that locks up my computer. It's like a virus from hell.

My Netscape Communicator 4.75 functions 100% with the other message boards on the net. I doubt it's my browser's fault. The glitch has to be here, with the user software for this system.

Let's find it and correct it for once, please.

I think jumping to other brand "browsers" is a "temporary" fix. I will not switch. I have been using "Netscape" for nine years.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I installed UBB6 Beta 7.3 That should fix some problems. Report any more bugs in this thread or here.

There's major edit problems with 7.3, I'll install 7.4 later today as soon as it's released.

Luff

Enlightened

FWIW - I've used Netscape 6 to access the board many times when IE5.5 has died on me. Netscape 6 seems work just fine and is perhaps a viable alternative to Internet Exploder on this board.
rolleyes.gif