More affordable Arc LSs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter (et al),

Sorry if I've missed any earlier thread on this, but have you considered cheaper and simpler finishes for the Arc-LS, like just plain unfinished aluminium or powder-coating?

These will probably not meet your ideal flashlight standards, but I'd think most folks(myself included) would love to own an LS first that doesn't cost so much. Additionally, you could offer it in only one battery tube size included, perhaps just the single AA or the 123.

That way, all machining can continue as is, but a small production line forking off earlier (before full HAIII anodizing) from the main LS line to produce the "market meat" as described.

Fans of the ultimate LS will still have the HAIII with all the tubes, while Mom and Dad can enjoy the 'regular' LSs for nightstand duty and fishing. With the lower entry point, more will come to know and experience Arc flashglights and hopefully decide that the premium models really are worth that extra moola (scenario: dad fishes every week with regular LS - its satin-black powder finish wears out, but still works great - he decides it would be nice to have one that doesn't look as good, but wears well and has better battery life than a single AA can offer - voila! instant customer...)

as usual always, just IMHO...

smile.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Bump*
grin.gif

But seriously, isn't anyone else interested in a more mainstream Arc-LS? Much of Arc's proprietary magic is in the illuminator head electronics anyway, and the darned problems with the Arc-LS currently all seem to stem from either the anodizing, waterproofing or the luxeons themselves.

I'm so looking forward to the time when we can buy carded Arc-LSs the same way we do with the AAAs now
smile.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
I think that is an excellent idea, Hotfoot!
I wish that Peter would make a more buyable
ls, for normal people.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am all for lowering the initial purchase price of a flashlight, not just the cost of long-term ownership.

We will continue to have our products made in the USA and quality, not price will be our focus. Once quality is pretty close to perfection, then we will add more features. Then once features and quality are close to perfection, then we will look at cost.

Peter

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less exotic finishes is a nice idea! Why not a polished finish with a rubber cover, kind of like the Brinkmann Legend?

No offense to Arc and Peter, but 160.00 for a light - yeow!

Please understand, I read all the positive, very enthusiastic comments about the LS "seconds". I can only imagine what a "first" will be like, and I really want one of these lights, but if I could save 60 bucks on the finish, and "only" pay a hundred dollars for the light, that would be a nice option (for me anyway) to consider. I could buy more than one!

I have not purchased my first SureFire for the same reason. I mean, it's only a matter of time, but I think, "one SureFire E2e, or 4 Brinkmann Legend LX's"

I hope my message comes across politely. I think that Peter also said something about the LS's initally being expensive, and then coming down in price. Kind of like when CD players were first introduced into the market. I remember ther first Sony CD player, and it was like 1200 or 1500 dollars!

I understand that there is a lot of expense to design and produce a "perfect" light, and ARC has a right to try to re-coup their start-up expenses.

I don't want a "comprimized" light. I just hope ARC will explore alternate options that will still give us the same quality light, but at a lower cost. (Or, if I have to wait 6 months for a lower price, I will!)

I would like to have 3 or 4 ARC LS's in various pac sizes. A less expensive product would allow me to purchase more of them!

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, hope that my post did not come across as a suggestion to "dumb-down" or compromise on the quality of the lights - or worse still - dilute the Arc mission statement.

Arc flashlights have standards set so high in their products such that even factory seconds are many times a better flashlight many would ever have a chance to own in their lives.

Like many others here, the thought of owning that perfect flashlight will always remain, but with varying relative perceptions of "perfection".

I guess, this was a friendly tap on the shoulder of a perfectionist. I want to tell him that at this point in time, what he has achieved so far is already exceeds the point of perfection for many.

Peter (and Arc's) ethic is so enduring that he would never allow Arc to sell anything other than a perfect light, or even allow one to be made in a manner that offends this ethic. Which is why, I am confident that even with a "mainstream" product, Arc will succeed and that now may not be such a bad time for one, based on the Arc-LS as is (but in brushed steel and just a 123 pack, for instance - this is perfection for me !
grin.gif
).
No need for extra features.

Sorry if I seemed wise-alecky or offensive in any way, but I simply wanted chip in another idea on how Arc might succeed.

Thanks.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hotfoot,

Did you know that you can purchase "only" the head and on;y the battery pack size that you want?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuddTX:
Hotfoot,

Did you know that you can purchase "only" the head and on;y the battery pack size that you want?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. What I meant is that if a mainstream version were to be done in an alternative material/finish, it could (for a start) just be available in one battery tube size (eg. stainless illuminator head + *only* 2AA tube). By this virtue, the price would lower because it would be 2 packs less *and* have a less costly material/finish (but of equal Arc quality and workmanship).

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason the lights cost so much is because they are a new technology and are under heavy demand.

Most people will not be able to access this technology this year because it is simply too new.

There are exceptions possible for the savvy shopper of course. For example, you could buy a Luxeon Star mod by on of our fellow CPF'ers. They usally are sold for cost and offer novel features.

Another possibility is to purchase one of the Arc-SLSs.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.