Xre VS Ssc p4

FASTCAR

Banned
I have 2 similar LA dropins I made. 1 is a ssc P4 other is a cree xre.
The ssc is MUCH better beam, more white and just brighter at the same drive.

Any 1 else notice this?

:popcorn:

daveman

Enlightened
FASTCAR said:
I have 2 similar LA dropins I made. 1 is a ssc P4 other is a cree xre.
The ssc is MUCH better beam, more white and just brighter at the same drive.

Any 1 else notice this?

:popcorn:
No, but I'm really not surprised considering Cree doesn't even have any Q3 binned XR-Es for sale. I guess it was all vaporware crap that Cree was feeding us.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the reflectors will make the difference in brightness and quality of the beam. I have a VINET with a Cree and an aluminum reflector. This light is not a throw monster, but it has really good output with a large bright center spot and excellent spill. Plus the beam is very clean without artifacts. I also have a VINET with a SSC P4 with a plastic reflector. It's bright and throws, but it has a tight bright center spot and the spill is marginal. I personally like the Cree.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the Seoul wins hands down for smooth beam pattern (no yellow ring, caused by the aluminum ring holding the dome on the CREE), and higher lumens/higher efficiency. However, Crees so far have been winners for real-world color rendering in my experience (All P4 Bin, WD and WH) -- they usually have a slight yellow/green tint, which I find more useful outdoors than the stark cool white of the SSC emitters I've had (UBin SWO).

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
Internally, aren't they supposed to be similar, if not identical?
They use the same blue emitter (from Cree), but each (XR-E, SSC, Edison) has a different phosphor, different optics, and different thermal design, so they're essentially quite different.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am finding that I prefer both the Cree and Edison over the SSC for color. Even though the SSC has a better beam I have found using different reflectors on the Cree and Edison the beam quality is actually good.
2xTrinity said:
They use the same blue emitter (from Cree), but each (XR-E, SSC, Edison) has a different phosphor, different optics, and different thermal design, so they're essentially quite different.

Aepoc

Enlightened
I modified two Elly's, both with Wiz2 boards at 932ma. One had a Cree P4 bin with a reflector and the other had a SSC USWOH with an optic. I noticed right away that the SSC was very blue. I am sure that a little of the blue is caused by the optic but it is still pretty blue without the optic. The Cree has a bit of a greenish tint but I like it better then the seoul. I also like the reflector more then the optic... better hot spot. Overall they are both nice lights but the Cree is the keeper. Check it out for yourself:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1930611#post1930611

I have some warm white (USVOH) SSC P4's on their way. Can't wait to fire them up!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get the reflector for the Cree?
Aepoc said:
I modified two Elly's, both with Wiz2 boards at 932ma. One had a Cree P4 bin with a reflector and the other had a SSC USWOH with an optic. I noticed right away that the SSC was very blue. I am sure that a little of the blue is caused by the optic but it is still pretty blue without the optic. The Cree has a bit of a greenish tint but I like it better then the seoul. I also like the reflector more then the optic... better hot spot. Overall they are both nice lights but the Cree is the keeper. Check it out for yourself:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1930611#post1930611

I have some warm white (USVOH) SSC P4's on their way. Can't wait to fire them up!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my lights a lot outdoors so I prefer a greenish or yellowish tint to blue or violet tints. The USW0H in my HDS is probably the second or third 'whitest' or 'tint-less' LED I've ever owned. With the one I consider the whitest one I own, I bench tested 10 LEDs and went with the whitest one. Considering the USW0H was luck of the draw, I am VERY impressed. Not even the slightest hint of blue that I can see.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
I so far have 6 cree lights and 10 Seul based lights.

Personally
- all cree lights have a green tinge regardless of bin. One only has a nice whiteish tint. 3 were upgraded lux lights with the warmest binned crees i could find that made little difference.
- Seul lights (again based on the warmest bins i could find and all upgraded from Lux) range from beautifully warm incan like to greeny brown. Most tend to be the former.
- After aging crees keep their greenish tint, seuls move from warm to cooler... one has obtained a purple tint others still on the warmer side of white.
- Beam quality and throw is the seuls forte, they are much better in this than the cree's (for the same reflector size)

Before anyone jumps in and says tint is subjective, all tint observations were made based on the best of a group of HDS U60GT's (and the only one not seulmated)

So my personal preference is for a Seul led, all my crees are in the process of being passed to new more appreciative owners. All i have left now is a Ti mccre and 2 CLE's :)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
However, Crees so far have been winners for real-world color rendering in my experience (All P4 Bin, WD and WH) -- they usually have a slight yellow/green tint, which I find more useful outdoors than the stark cool white of the SSC emitters I've had (UBin SWO).

cratz2 said:
I use my lights a lot outdoors so I prefer a greenish or yellowish tint to blue or violet tints.

I agree, and I thought I was alone in prefering yellow/green tints over cooler white.