Receptacle install help

chanamasala

Enlightened
Update:

Got it working without shocks! Thanks for the help!

----

Can anyone tell me if the receptacle I bought to replace the other one on the left will work?

The left one has 7 wires and holes in the back. The new one doesn't. They both are 15amp 125v. Can I just put those two wire with each other on the same screw on the new one? Or do I need a different receptacle?

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It can work, but I'd advise against putting two wires on one screw. It might be against code. Instead, twist each group of like colored wires together with a short (8") piece of the same color wire. Put a large wire nut on the connection. Connect the other end of the short wire to the appropriate screw terminal on the new outlet. Remember to always loop the wire clockwise around the screw so that tighting the screw doesn't undo the loop.

As an aside, I'm not a big fan of those quick connects on the back of outlets. I would think long term oxidation and dust might decrease the reliability of the connection. A screw terminal is a more robust connection.

turbodog

Flashaholic
First: The black wires go under the brass colored screw.

Second: Go find you a new receptacle with 2 screws on each side (like your new one). Except this receptacle has a little plate that clamps down on the wire. This will allow 2 wires under each screw, or a total of 4 wires per side. These outlets cost a little more, but will save you time and hassle.

First (part 2): turn off the power!

lukus

Enlightened
I agree with jtr1962, I would pigtail it. Pigtails are easier when it comes to sticking the outlet back in the box. Trying to fold and stuff in all the wires when they're installed in the outlet can be a booger. Also, a loose connection on the outlet will make the rest of the downline outlets dead. A wirenut is a better long term connection.

You can buy wirenuts that have pigtails already on them. The pigtail wire comes out the end of the wirenut and is usually a braided wire so it's easy to bend. Sold in packs of half a dozen or so in most home improvement stores like Home Depot.