Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
ITS A GO!!!!
fdc7748e.jpg

fdc48afb.jpg

HOW TO ORDER
pay-pal, credit card(e-mail me for details), money order or check. for money order or check, please e-mail me your address and quantity desired. also, when emailing, pleae include you CPF screen name

OK, if you know the history of this mod, you know that I have been working the CMG head with hand tools (too lazy to fetch my drill press from storage). Anyways, originally I didn't think there was enough material in the CMG head to do internal threads, so I had cut the treaded portion of the ARC battery compartment to make a lock ring band.

Over the weekend, I called Peter and asked him if it would be possible to get just the battery compartment threaded, but he didn't sound too kean on the idea...

This turned out to be a good thing, because it force me to figure out another solution to the problem....

Solution found!!! I cut apart a CMG head, and found that if I were really careful, that there is enought material to do internal threads but the depth alignnment was just slighty off. Well, an o-ring works just great as a spacer AND also works as a seal between the ARC head and the CMG adapter. The only problem that remains is the threading of the CMG head, which is being done by a local machine shop as I type.

So here is the bottom line..
$105 for 100 GMC heads
$200 Machine shop
$ 15 Drill
$ 20 for 100 o-rings
$335 Total expense

IF I sell 50 pieces at $6 + $1 (S&h), I only lose $35 + 1 canabalized arc + 1 canbalized infinity.

The "adapter kit" will consist of the CMG head, an o-ring, and a #6 washer(for the bottom of the battery oompartment)

That's it

The CMG heads arrived today. and I started to work on making the adapters. I have actually completed one by hand. It is a reversible mod, but not waterproof... at least at this time

In actual use, it is not a simple procedure of screwing the ARC head into the adapter, and then the adapter into the Infinity battery compartment.

What I found out when hallowing out the CMG head, is that there isn't quite eought "meat"/material to do the internal threads. So instead of threading the head, I came up with a lock-nut that holds the ARC head inplace inside the CMG head.

Now that I have practiced "installing" the ARC head into the CMG head, and getting the locknut in place, it takes about 2 minutes versus screw head on directly, 10 seconds.

The other issue is that the lenght is slightly off, which I easily fixed by droping a #6 washer into the battery comparment
ITS A GO!!!!
web page

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bear:

Would you happen to know the TPI and pitch on the ARC heads, or are you just re-threading them with a standard die or ???

Thank you for any info.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you happen to know the TPI and pitch on the ARC heads, or are you just re-threading them with a standard die or ?

Got some help on this one from Peter and his machiinist. The ARC is 32tpi, however, the diameter (0.441) is just a tad bit more than a standard 7/16 inch (0.4375)

Does the front of the Arc head stick out from the leading edge of the CMG, or is it flush with it?

I completed this working unit by hand, using a cordless drill, different size drills, and a vise grip to hold the CMG head. Working freehand does not permit the greatest control. If i dig out my drill press from storage, (or have a machinist do the work on a lathe) I know that that the cuts can be more precisely controled. My guess is that the ARC head can be implanted flush with the CMG head.

However, I am going to try adding a second oring to the ARC head to correct the waterproof problem. If this works, it will most likely cause the head to proturde 1/16" inch. Having the head protrude a bit is not such a bad thing because one can then use a plier to tighten or loosen the head.

The hardest part of this mod, is the "lock nut" because of its odd size. What I did was cut a 5/16" band from the end of a ARC battery compartment which I had left over from my first "pound it together mod".

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"not enough meat" - that's what I was afraid of - there has to be a big empty hole there for the electronics of the Infinity. How about filling the empty space with steel-bonding epoxy, then drilling and tapping that as if it was part of the aluminum?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Doug

What you are suggesting is definately a possibility; in fact I know of a radiator repair bonding epoxy than can be drilled.... and may be the only solution to holding the ARC head.

Here is what I am thinking... I am hoping that Peter G can have his machine shop do some battery compartments, threaded all the way, which I can cut with a jewelers saw to make the lock rings. I can't imagine this would cost more than $25.

The CMG heads cost $105 for 100, or $1.05 each. I have canabalized 1 infinity, and 1 arc aaa, and bought a $15 high speed drill bit. If I can sell 40 units at $5, I figure that I'll break even. This is my way of saying I really don't want to incure the cost of a custom tap, and if possible avoid the cost of a machinist to drill out the heads etc.

The other thing is that Infinity will have a AA in the next couple of weeks, so who's gona buy a adapter?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:

Here is what I am thinking...
If I can sell 40 units at $5,
The other thing is that Infinity will have a AA in the next couple of weeks, so who's gona buy a adapter?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
FWIW-I'd still buy at least one of your adapters, becos I've already got so damn many little flashlights, that I really don't want to buy yet another Infinity-I've already got 4 of 'em as it is.....

Brock

Flashaholic
I will take one for sure, and I will start the list:

So if other people want them just add your name and the number you want.

Brock 1

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I will take one for sure, and I will start the list:

So if other people want them just add your name and the number you want.

Brock 1
mr.glow 1
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime Update.....

Started an ARC Finity at Midnight, and 16 hours later, just as bright as my AAA on keychain.

Also, a week+ ago on 4/18, I started using my first ARC Finity with lithium AA on average, of 3-4 a night. When I ended my 4 day vacation on Monday, and came home, was sill giving the ARCIfinity exercise every night. I think it was Wednesday that I left it on from 4:30 to about 11, but compensated on Thursday with "only" 2 1/2 hours use.

Unfortunately, because I was playing with the adapter last night, I forgot to shut it off, and it expried sometime in the middle of night.

Any way you cut it, that's more than 30 hours of intermintent use (and I might add, a more realistic test, using the light 3-4 hours every night.

When asked why am I doing this, I could only answer, I'm a flashaholic

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
*** Certificate of Death ***

After a short run of 27hrs - 20 minutes (standard coppertop AA), as moderator of the HID forumn, I offically declare that my ARC-Finity AA has expired. It had been circling the drain the past 3 hours....

All in all, very impressive performance.

Brock

Flashaholic
Guys, to add your name please highlight the list below and then copy (ctrl c) or (edit copy) then make your post, then (ctrl v) or (edit paste) the list back in you post. Then add your name and the number you want at the bottom. I think this is where we stand?

Brock 1
mr.glow 1
Silviron 1
snakebite 2
JonSidneyB 3

dark star

Enlightened
me too, me too . To Infinity and beyond !

Brock 1
mr.glow 1
Silviron 1
snakebite 2
JonSidneyB 3
dark star 2

Evan

Enlightened
Me too!

Brock 1
mr.glow 1
Silviron 1
snakebite 2
JonSidneyB 3
dark star 2
darell 1 (for now...)
Evan 1

Maybe more later. Would't mind buying a few empty Infinity heads either, to see if I can make my own electronics to fit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.