How you attach your AAA to your Keychain makes all the difference in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, this made all the difference between just liking the light, and wanting to carry it everday.

When I first received my ARC AAA, I was very excited. Who wouldn't be. After all, there is about a zillion posts about this light.

I put it on my round keyring, just like all my other keys. I didn't like how it made all my other keys "fan" around the key ring, instead of just hanging downward. It also gave the keychain a bulky feel in my pocket. I just figured I would get used to it.

Then I ordered my Inova X5, and along with that, I ordered a couple of Inova Microlights. When I received my Microlight, I was amazed on how tiny and lightweight this sucker was.

OK, the actual light on my ARC AAA was better than the Microlight. But still, I did like the size and weight of the Microlight (You could substutite Pulsar or Photon here if you wanted to, all the 2016 battery lights).

I still felt that the Microlight was greater than 90% of the light that the ARC AAA was. In other words, the ARC gets an A+, the Microlight might get an an A-. (OK, maybe a B or B+ if you consider that the ARC has a voltage regulator to keep the light at the same constant brightness, and goes into "mood mode" before running completely out of energy.) (BTY, the microlight is my favorite of all the 2016 coin lights, covert side coverage of the bulb, and constant on feature).

I started to think, "so it takes those expensive 2016 batteries. I am not using this for hours a day, I can afford to stop by Radio Shack twice a year, and buy new batteries for this sucker."

Well, wanting to keep the ARC on my keyring, I started playing with different options, and came up with a way to attach the ARC to my Keyring. I bought (at Wal-mart) a key ring that uses one of those tiny "ball chain" keychains. (I think a set of two cost 97 cents). Attached one end to the keyring, and the other end to the ARC, and it works very nicely.

I hope I am describing this well enough. You have probably seen these keychains a million times. The end ball of both ends connects into a clasp.

I am not posting this just to make an idle posting. This really did made a big difference for me. The keys now fit comfortably in my hand, and they don't feel like this martial arts device in my pocket, and it hangs nicely on my steering wheel column.

I don't think this is perfect, I am still looking for a little wire rope keychain (I have seen them before, I just can't remember where). I think about the keychain popping open from the clasp, I am thinking of putting a drop of super glue to each connection opening, I figure if I ever have to take the chain off, I will just cut it of with a pair of pliers, and just use the other one, or go to wal-mart and spend another 97 cents again!

[edit]
Just to make myself clear, my ARC AAA is brighter and throws more light than the microlight. I just took them both in my backyard with all lights out, and the arc is noticably brighter, with a wider field of light.

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
I have been wanting a better way to carry my ARC as well. I don't like it attached directly to the keyring. I may give the "ball-chain" a try, still looking for other ideas as well.

Darell

Flashaholic
The Mag Solitaire kit comes with a fabric tether with split rings on each end (about an inch long?). That works really well to do the same thing you're thinking of. I'd probably trust it a bit more than the ball chains too

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, since you mentioned that before, I have been looking for a Solitare. I can't seem to find one now that I am looking for one. Used to see them for 5.99 at Wal-mart.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
Here's something I do that is amazing...

Take a rubber band and wind it around the "waist" of the light, that is the joint between the ring and the light. What you'll notice is a wound up band stays there nicely.

This gives you do two things:

1) A Rubber band when you need it.

2) Something to bite down on, if you have to carry the light in your teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.