Mag LED mods...?

cutlerylover

Banned
Hey guys...I now have a complete ROP and a Mag85 and I am interested in trying out a mag LED hotwire...Whats my options? Anyone info on different Mag LED mods woudl be great! I would like perhaps a single LED Seol or Cree say in a mag2D? I just started to get the hang of the incandescent mods but I am NEW to the LED hotwires...So any and all info is greatly appreciated...Also if any has pics I would love to see them...Also information about output for single and multiple LEDs woudl be good too since I do not know what it is...I have seen the 3 and 4 led mods with individual relfectors and I think they look great, but how much more would this cost? As apposed to a single powerfull LED? Maybe a breakdown of parts and prices? Also I have NO modding skill as far as wiring goes...I have no tools to work with not even a soldering gun, so I might have to send the parts to another member to have it done...depends on how much work is involved...

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Re: Mag LED Hotwire mods...?

Im no expert, But I thought hotwire implied the hot wire or filament in incan lamps. So I think you mean Led mods rather than LED hotwires.

I'm still into hotwires at the moment but I have seen a few heatsinks that fit into Mags, kind of like the kiu sockets for hotwires, but for leds.

Anyway here is a cool thread I read the other day
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154668

LowTEC

Enlightened
If you are looking at the lumen level of a mag 85, the single LED mod will definitely get you disappointed, you will be lucky to reach 200 lumens in reality. You will need a healthy quard Seoul or XRE mod to hang with a ROP.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a good already-modded Maglite is Malkoff's modified lights. Those are the longest throwing, and brightest (lumens) single-LED flashlight that I know of, around 200 lumens out the front. That's the most efficient LED at the market driven right at the maximum current, with good regulation and good heatsinking. The problem with the original maglite is that it's not designed at all for heat dissipation, the bulb holder is completely isolated due to the spring loaded pedestal, and plastic cammed reflector. So high-powered LED mods generally have to replace just about everything except for the tube itself. If you go with a single-emitter light, I'd recommend a 3C light -- it will be a lot smaller and easier to carry around than a D light, but still be just as bright, and will still have a few hours of regulated runtime.

The only way to get more lumens from LEDs at this point is to go to multi-emitters. Those are great if you want a "wall of light", but they won't have huge throw as you give that up by going to smaller reflectors. If you want throw, I'd go for the Malkoff, or make something similar -- a SSC at 1A current with a smooth reflector.

What I would like to see is for someone to come up with a custom collimating lens, the size of a Mag head, that would merge beams from multiple LED emitters into a single fairly strong beam. Such a device would require a lot of engineering and would have to sell for a fortune considering the relatively few people would would want to buy such a product, unfortunately.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks guys! I understand I will not reahc mag85 output or maybe not even ROP? but I was just looking for a LED mod that would blow a LED drop in out of the water...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if they are still readily available, but there used to be heatsinks that allowed either 3 Lux stars or 4 Lux emitters to be put together in a Mag head with IMS20 reflectors relatively easily. I did probably 4 of the mods with 3 stars. All but one was direct drive... you'd need 3 cells for a 3 star light if wired in parallel.

I am in no way advising this config, but they have always worked for me.

Using a driver board allows more flexability in wiring and cell options of course.

I'd imagine that other than the minor difference in elevation of the Lux vs SSC LEDs, it should be easy enough to wire up 3 SSCs to 3 cells. I haven't done such a mod and I'm not entirely sure I've seen a thread on such a mod as most multi SSC/Cree mods involve a board of some sort.

cutlerylover

Banned
Ok, well thanks for the suggestion Ill have to look into that...Since I am still new to the LED mods I will have to wait and read up alot more, or save my money and have a pro put it together for me...