We ask for brighter, We ask for longer, What is it that we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do want both but don't we ever want something in between??? Maybe sometime we should ask for more Useful. Well with the Arc-LS, we got it.

I tell you what I would like and this should make the long life crowd happy.

For use around the house:
Single Cell D and C packs.

1. It would have long runtime.
2. It would be bright enough to do most tasks needed around the house.
3. It would be economical to use, Single C and D cells are probably lying about your house right now, they also quit working in less efficeint items and would still work in an LS. Free power for your lights from what would have been trash or clutter.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
I do want both but don't we ever want something in between??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck yeah I want both! That's why I've been begging for a dimmer all this time. THAT'S the way to get brighter AND longer in one compact package (without having to carry dead batteries everywhere I go).

Evan

Enlightened
I've argued before that two stages is enough and better in some ways. Stage 1:efficient and long lasting. Stage 2:all the power the device can bring to the task. And with only 2 settings you can quickly get to either one.

I just don't see myself twiddling with a dial to get just the right amount of light. I can see sneaking the light on when I don't want to disturb others or wanting all the light I can get to search for something, but what is that range in the middle for?

I agree that a D cell properly applied would be the most economical non-rechargeable available. It's about the size and weight of 4 AAs, but 1/4 the price, and a D has enough capacity over and above the 4 AAs to eat the somewhat lower efficiency one has to expect from a DC boost running on one cell.

The last Arc price increase threw me, and now that colors are being discontinued there probably never will be a cyan second with my name on it. So I've been planning to make my own 1-D LED light, probably with an LS for the LED. Trouble is only the pros and corporations can make exactly the casework they have in mind in quality materials.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmmm... 2-stage brightness in a flashlight - I find that a most *desirable* trait. What a great way to exploit white LEDs dimmability...

So, in the case of an LS, would that mean the use of a good step-down converter? We all know the regulator now steps up, but if a dim mode were desired with new batteries(or just 1 new battery), would this mean a pass-thru mechanism(either 1.5V or 3V), or still function via the regulator? After all, the LS needs about 3.6V to drive. Without a regulator, it would mean no constant brightness, but I figure if a dim mode+long battery life was needed, a very-efficient step-down would be needed (ie. one that didn't "resist" away excess voltage).

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reckon 2 x C or sub C would be perfect - quite compact, but with some 'meat' to it, and it'd run for ages..

Graham

Evan

Enlightened
I would expect dimming to be handled by the DC boost. 1.5 volts won't get anything out of an LED. I figure there is an adjustment resistor in the DC boost that sets the current, and you'd want put one resistor in the circuit for one brightness, and switch in another resistor in parallel to get the other setting.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evan:
I've argued before that two stages is enough and better in some ways.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. Not sure who you're arguing with. I might have mislead you with my use of the word "dimmer." What I'm looking for (and always have been looking for) is the two-stage dimmer you are talking about. A small light that would provide Infinity brightness and Arc brightness (or brighter!) on demand would be the perfect package.

What would make me swoon is a single AA, three LED, two-brightness little light made to Peter's standards. I'm THERE.

Evan

Enlightened
Ah! The sequence has always been 1) somebody asks for a dimmer, 2) I say no, just 2 steps, and then the thread just goes on to other matters. Thanks

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, heck. I'm willing to argue with anybody about anything. But I'm afraid we're on the same page here. Bummer.

grin.gif

Yeah, the next time you hear me say "dimmer" I mean a switch to allow something other than full-blown ON. To be more concise, let's call it "under-driven-battery-saving-Infinity-brightness-cheap-SOB mode."

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my thought was that we already have lots of smaller LED lights with good runtime. If you're going to use larger cells (C would be my preference),with dimmer or whatever, make it a 2-cell job so that you're not draining so much out of the one cell with the boost circuit. Thus giving much better runtime.

Graham

JollyRoger

Enlightened
How about slightly overdriving the ARC LS and using a two "A" cell pack? The current 2AA pack could be machined out to accomodate the "A" cells...and the extra capacity will give longer run time. In my opinion, the ultimate "bright" rechargeable flashlight ("A" cells have much better capacity).

I've talked to Peter about this, but we decided that the market just wasn't big enough (probably just me and a couple others...but I still want one).

It's taking a long time to drain the "A" nimh cells I have in my luxeon mod...capacity is around 2700mah each...and only a couple of more millimeters larger in diameter compared to the AA cell.

Perhaps the "A" cell could be an option in a rechargeable version? Or maybe the Sub-C's might be better?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
What would make me swoon is a single AA, three LED, two-brightness little light made to Peter's standards. I'm THERE.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I would want Three brightness levels (regulated of course)
3 Arc AAA bright = 3.5 hr burn
1 Arc AAA bright = 12 hr burn
Infintiy bright = 25 hr burn
Burn times approximate.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Fine. But would it make you "swoon?" I really stuck myself out there, ya know...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if my doorbell rang right now, and it was Peter himself handing me the light. Then you might see some swooning.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.