TriStar Phaser worth modding?

Gman

Enlightened
Haven't been around here in a while. Opinion from those who're familiar with this light it on modding it with these newer leds? If so which ones? Worth it? Difficult? Gracias...

SEMIJim

Enlightened
The TriStar Phaser used Luxeon LEDs, yes? I believe the Seoul emitters are an easier swap than the CREE emitters, from what I've read. Why don't you ask in the Elektrolumens sub-forum? I'm sure Wayne will be happy to answer your questions.

I sure wish he was still making the TriStar Phaser, and with SSC P4 emitters. But he appears uninterested in "big lights" now. Oh well.

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
I think it would be a superb candidate for modding, but since I've only got one, and I totally love it just the way it is, I think I'll leave it alone. But, if I had another one handy, I'd be putting some Crees or Seouls in it right now. Seouls would probably work better than Crees with the TSP's stock optics.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
SEMIJim said:
The TriStar Phaser used Luxeon LEDs, yes? I believe the Seoul emitters are an easier swap than the CREE emitters, from what I've read. Why don't you ask in the Elektrolumens sub-forum? I'm sure Wayne will be happy to answer your questions.

I sure wish he was still making the TriStar Phaser, and with SSC P4 emitters. But he appears uninterested in "big lights" now. Oh well.

Seoul emitters will be a much easier swap than the cree. The cree emitter is a physically different size, so it won't be fun trying to fit cree LED's into an optic that's designed for luxeon led's.

With that said... wayne actually is still technically making the TSP. however, now it's the QSP (quad star phazer). hehe

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a My Little Friend (3xLuxIII) when they were introduced. I bought another one (3xSSC-P4) recently. Definately worth the upgrade. See my comments here
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1926090&postcount=50
in this thread
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155770&page=2
All Wayne did was replace the LuxIIIs with Soeul SSC-P4s.
Note - THe case of the SSC-P4 is electrically active so you need to isolate them from the heatsink.
Don't have the skills to do the mod myself so don't know how difficult it is.
My Little Friend is also a Fraen Tri-optic light.