Changing to CR123 Body for the L1T or L2P?

van Christie

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I got both lights and would like to "upgrade" one of them to a shorter body (CR123). I'm not sure though which of both.
Which one would you take?
Basically the only importance to me is the brightness.

Regards, vC

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
van Christie said:
Hello,

I got both lights and would like to "upgrade" one of them to a shorter body (CR123). I'm not sure though which of both.
Which one would you take?
Basically the only importance to me is the brightness.

Regards, vC

The L1T/L2T head (same thing) is going to be brighter than the L2P. Using a CR123A body turns an L1P into an L2T effectively (Voltage-wise) but it will be even shorter than the L1T.

van Christie

Newly Enlightened
So basically I make the L2P brighter than the L1T.
And when I add the CR123 body to the L1T, it should be brighter than a L2T ("modded" L2P), right?

Besides being smaller, is there a difference between a L1T with CR123A and 14500?

Sorry, but lights is a totally new hobby for me and I got my first one just a week ago.

Regards, vC

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both your modded lights should be about the same brightness, depending on what bin your LEDs are (luck of the draw - the Luxeon lottery we call it) and will depend a lot on the voltage you are feeding them. Generally, the more voltage, the brighter they will be.
The CR123 bodies *available* (assuming you have one already) only fit 3.0V primary non-rechargeable (RCR) 123's. The 14500 is a AA sized Lithium-Ion that has 4.2V fresh off the charger, then stabilizes around 3.6-3.7V for most of it's life. So the 14500 will overdrive the LED and boost the L1T to brighter than the L2P/L2T (2AA = 3.0V = 1 CR123). L1T low will be boosted too, up to about the same as the L1T high. There will be little difference between low and high on 14500. A 3V CR123 will maintain the L1T's useable low. That is what I use, though I just got 14500's last weekend.

Hope this helps.
van Christie said:
So basically I make the L2P brighter than the L1T.
And when I add the CR123 body to the L1T, it should be brighter than a L2T ("modded" L2P), right?

Besides being smaller, is there a difference between a L1T with CR123A and 14500?

Sorry, but lights is a totally new hobby for me and I got my first one just a week ago.

Regards, vC

van Christie

Newly Enlightened
blindasabat, thanks for the wonderful post.

Since I've ordered AW 14500 batt plus charger, I'll use them with the L1T and the L2P gets the CR123 body. By doing so I've one bright Fenix and one small one. Good combination.

Regards, vC