Which one?

• Surefire U2

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Fenix L2D CE

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters

Mactrix

Newly Enlightened
Hey I need a longs lasting LED torch that has variable amounts of light. So I can put it on low for long lasting a high when I need it. SO I was looking at the Surefire U2. Is it a good torch and is there anything better? :)

Mactrix

qarawol

Enlightened
YES!

As well as every other Flashlight you see here. Shucks! I did.

Sign off now and never return before it's too late.

The Surefire U2's are GREAT! I have 3 of them. U2 Porcupines ver one & two and the standard U2. It will work out very nice for what ever the reason, since it is variable output. Hopefully you can get one that can accept the 18650 battery. That will give you a longer run time by bunches. (here comes the questions...)

Remember though... "The best Flashlight there is, is the one you have on you at the time of need." So carry two to three like I do.

Why are you still reading - leave this site. Never mind, you're through, done, kaput.

Njoy...

Last edited:

Supernam

Enlightened
Check out Fenix L1D-CE or L2D-CE. You'll be impressed with what $55 can buy you. Not to mention that they take AA batteries.

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely!! This is one flashlight that should be in everyone's collection.

(You may as well get one as you're stung now, and you know you want one!)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
DownUnderLite said:
Absolutely!! This is one flashlight that should be in everyone's collection.

(You may as well get one as you're stung now, and you know you want one!)

I agree 100%. No matter what new lights are on sale every day U2 is an instant classic and you will always be happy to have one. I am. :)

BTW welcome to CPF Mactrix!

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say no, get a Fenix L2D-CE instead. imho better in every field except for prestige

but maybe just look at the prices and then ask again ;)

Mactrix

Newly Enlightened
Ok ill get the surefire. here come the questions :p!
1. How many versions of the U2 are there? Explain if more then 1

2. Whats this one about accepting batteries (post 2) :huh:

3. What are protect/unprotected batteries?

I intend to hold it in my hand for use for bushwalking and when I need it in the dark.

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
That sounds like a place the U2 would be appropriate, but then again, the L1D-CE and L2D-CE probably would be fine there as well. To be honest, I would only get the U2 if you can definitely afford spending so much on your first "good" flashlight, if that it is. Really, you could yeasily get 3 good flashlights to serve your purpose, and it will cost less than a U2. If you really want a surefire, maybe a L2, E1L, or E2L? They all cost significantly less, and are also great flashlights.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong, the U2 is a great light as many have mentioned and a classic. If you have the money, you probably cant go wrong with it. But to be honest, with the new generation of LEDs out now (and it seems like Surefire has no plans on upgrading the U2), there are so many lights that beats it in performance(brighter, longer runtime, cheaper etc) for a much lesser cost, most notabily, the Fenix L2D that was mentioned, and that at a fourth of the cost, and that on AA cells(alkalines, NiMH AND lithium), not CR123(which are very costly and a pain to obtain, at least where I am, and I dont like to have to buy batteries through the net).

It's easier to recommend a light if we know exactly what youre gonna use it for(especially beam charactersitics), but if you're just gonna use it as a general purpose light, walking around in the bush etc, and if you're not dead set on buying a Surefire, the L2D will do just as fine.

Other fine lights worth checking out are Lumapower M1 and Amilite Neo T5, just notice that these two only has two levels of output.

If you have the time, visit www.flashlightreviews.com
Great site, and all of the lights mentioned are reviewed there.

Last edited:

JJH

Newly Enlightened
Mactrix said:
Ok ill get the surefire. here come the questions
tongue.gif
!
1. How many versions of the U2 are there? Explain if more then 1

2. Whats this one about accepting batteries (post 2)
huh.gif

3. What are protect/unprotected batteries?

I intend to hold it in my hand for use for bushwalking and when I need it in the dark.
It would be nice if someone Enlightened would answer your questions. I too am considering buying a U2.
It is my current understanding from research on this forum that there are 3 versions of the U2 and the variance is in the internal diameter of the main tube where the batteries reside. The oldest version (1) is the widest and will accomodate a 18650 rechargeable li-ion battery that has a lot of power and long runtime. The next version (2) came with an insert in the tube that can be removed and then again the 18650 can be accomodated. The current version (3) has a narrower tube and will not accomodate the 18650 but will accomodate the 17670 rechargeable that is less powerful but still decent runtimes.
I do not understand much about protected and unprotected batteries and assume that the protected ones cannot be over-charged or over dis-charged?
More Enlightenment please!

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
JJH gave an excellent summary of the different U2 versions and the only thing I can add is that the outside of the body went from having flatted sides on the older ones, to rounded sides on the newer ones. This has no effect on it's performance so it is up to your individual taste as to which one you want, or be able to find, if it is the older version.

In regards to the Protected and Unprotected cells, the protected version will limit the amount of current supplied to the circuit to a safe level and automatically open the circuit if the current draw is to high or it will also open the circuit once the cell is depleted down to a preset voltage, therefore preventing damage from over-discharging, which will shorten the life of the cell. The U2 will drop to lower levels as the cell voltage drops, so from what I have learned, using an unprotected cell in the U2 is fine because the light will not draw the cell down below the safe lower limit anyway. The U2 just will not light up once the cell is down around 3.0 volts, which is perfectly safe for the unprotected cell.

I would NOT recomend using unprotected cells in other lights unless you are familiar with the correct usage of such cells.

There are others with much more cell knowledge who can explain this better, but I only use the unprotected 18650's in my U2 and not in any other lights.

Gator762

Enlightened
Supernam said:
Check out Fenix L1D-CE or L2D-CE. You'll be impressed with what $55 can buy you. Not to mention that they take AA batteries.

Second on the Fenix. About the same brightness with the single AA, and more bright with two. I see using standard batteries as a BIG bonus.

If you're worried about reliability, you can also get a L0D CE for a keychain light. You'll be under $100 for both shipped from fenix-store.com.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
JJH said:
I do not understand much about protected and unprotected batteries and assume that the protected ones cannot be over-charged or over dis-charged?
More Enlightenment please!

That's about it. :)
Unprotected cells have a charge of 4.2V fresh from the charger, drop rapidly to 3.6V, stays there until most of the cell is discharged, and then drops rapidly again. If the cells drop under 3.0V it can be permanently damaged. A protected cell has a circuit that prevents that. On the other hand, protected cells cannot be used in all configurations due to the circuit.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
JJH said:
...It is my current understanding from research on this forum that there are 3 versions of the U2 and the variance is in the internal diameter of the main tube where the batteries reside...
Within a few days, new 18650 battery tubes for the U2 will be available from a 3rd party. See this thread for details: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145255

The U2 is a great light -- a classic, one of the very best.

However time marches on and technology advances. A possible contender would be the new Novatac flashlights, likely available within a month or so: www.novatac.com.

The Fenix lights have good bang for the buck -- I've had several, inc'l the P1D CE. However IMO they don't quite have the same quality feel of a Surefire.

OTOH the Fenix L2D CE has incredible output and runtime, considering it's powered by 2x AA batteries: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm

If you actually plan on using the light a lot, cost of CR123A batteries is a factor. That's why the 18650 option for the U2 is valuable. However the 3rd party battery tube adds more cost to an already costly light.

For many applications the new Cree emitters give enough output that you don't need 2x CR123A batteries any more. A light with a single rechargeable RCR123A and Cree emitter is a good package, likewise 2x AA lights and a Cree emitter, like the Fenix L2D CE.

mooman

Newly Enlightened
Get the U2. I have several different models of the Fenix lights but still love my U2. It's the only Surefire I own, the most expensive light I ever bought, but would never part with it. Fenix is a great light but the U2 design and versatility when it comes to using the multiple light levels is unmatched. I wish they would make a Cree version though.:)

emitter

Newly Enlightened
head to head: (stats from FR)
U2 vs. L2D-CE
diode: old school lux V vs. new XRE
price: $270 vs. $55
center lux: 1885 vs. 2980
total output: 77ish vs. 122ish lm (quickbeams approx, but compares to other reviews)
runtime on high: 1 hr vs. 2 hrs.
size: 6" chunky vs. 6" thin

I'm not anti-surefire (I just don't buy from a company that makes weapon products) I'd love a U2, but I'd carry the Fenix.

Get the L2D-CE, while your at it an E0, and a nice smart charger, and your still out only about US$100. It's simply better at what it does and no light that you 100% depend on should take 123a cells (imo).

good luck with your decision. don't get hooked on photons.