L1D-CE Dissapointment

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I have just got my L1D-CE from Lighthound, and the emitter is well off too one side, not even close to the centre of the reflector opening. This creates a very noticeable crescent shaped shadow in the beam. I'm also totaly underwhelmed by the UI but I could probably get used to that if the build quality was better.

The head feels like it's about to unscrew and come off, no detents or actual tactile settings for turbo mode. And having to click through that silly flashing mode is most anoying.

Has anyone else found their emitters off centre?

I think I'll stick to my L1P.

:thumbsdow

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You dont "have to click through that silly flashing mode".
On Turbo its on/off.

Ask for excange when the emitter is offset so much.

PS: dunno what You mean with "unscrew and come off"? When in turbo the head is fixed by friction to the body, else it would need several full turns to get off. This will never happen, even when stored inside a jeans pocket and running a marathon the head wont move this much.

BGater

Enlightened
Had mine for a week now, works great. Both threaded ends are tightly done.....very nice quality. Head all the way down snug, 1 click and im on high, 1 more full click and im off. If I want low to begin with its easy enough to back the head off 1/8th turn, 1 click im on low, 1 more full click im off. I also like being able to jump from low to high while its on simply by twisting the head that 1/8th turn. They could really do away with the SOS feature, though. That part probably wont see much use....I hope !

Dutch

Enlightened
Sorry to hear your light is not to your satisfaction.

The good thing is that you got it from Lighthound.:)

Lighthound provides EXCEPTIONAL service after the sale.

If you e-mail John he will take care of you without a doubt.

I have had MANY transactions with John and I have had some product issues that were not in his control. He has gone beyond what I would consider to be honorable in making me happy.

I have heard the same from many others as well.

Thanks,
Dutch

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dutch said:
Sorry to hear your light is not to your satisfaction.

The good thing is that you got it from Lighthound.:)

Lighthound provides EXCEPTIONAL service after the sale.

If you e-mail John he will take care of you without a doubt.

I have had MANY transactions with John and I have had some product issues that were not in his control. He has gone beyond what I would consider to be honorable in making me happy.

I have heard the same from many others as well.

Thanks,
Dutch

+1 on that.
I would never hesitate to do business or recommend them for a friend. EXCELLENT SERVICE.

cerbie

Enlightened
yellow said:
You dont "have to click through that silly flashing mode".
On Turbo its on/off.
SOS you click through, and it's 100% useless.

Certainly return it if the emitter being off shows up in the beam. Mine is maybe 0.3mm off, and my beam is fine (as far as looking like it is supposed to).

The UI can take some getting used to, but it's actually not bad. Take note that you only need to tap the switch to change modes, not go through a full click cycle.

I do think they should spend more time on their next one to make the sets of modes easier (why is it twist for max?), and maybe put out a simple two-stage, as well.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, not the flashing, but the "SOS".

Again: You don't have to use this, its the last setting in normal mode.
Dont see how to get into/over SOS other than going through the modes just for playing around.

I hope and wish noone of us will ever need it. But when needed, its not bad to have it.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
yes it was the SOS mode I was refering to.

And perhaps using the word 'click' was misleading, I was 'tapping'.

In turning the head from normal to turbo there is no clear tactile setting for this. It's just the first stage in unscrewing the head. I'd prefer something more positive.

Certainly light hound's customer service is excellent, I have already arranged to return this light. It was supposed to be a gift for my mother, but fortunately I also ordered an L1P at the same time, and the L1P will be her present. A much better light all round, if only they would simply upgrade it with a cree instead of messing around packing in way to many features. KISS is a very good design principle.

If the emitter was not off centre I would have kept the L1D-CE for myself, but since it is unserviceable I wont be asking for a replacement!

Last edited:

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
"In turning the head from normal to turbo there is no clear tactile setting for this. It's just the first stage in unscrewing the head. I'd prefer something more positive."

I don't see the problem. Head screwed on = turbo. Unscrew just a small amount = low. Switching between the two modes is very easy. Even easier than having to do "half clicks" on the tail switch. One handed, no problemo.

Sorry your emitter is off center. Mine is just fine. Build quality is good all around.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
RonM said:
I don't see the problem.

I do. As I said, I'd prefer a definite setting, not some half arsed slightly unscrewed thing, but each to their own.

RonM said:
Mine is just fine.

You are fortunate. But I wont be giving the one I received as a present saying 'I know this one's no good, but don't worry, some other guy on the internet got a good one'! That doesn't much help, but luckily I have the L1P.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitter off-center pretty bad on a P1D-CE here.

I'm living with it.

As for the L1D-CE, I haven't bothered gettting one because of the beamshots I've seen. Instead, I buy L1S's and upgrade the to Seoul. Emitter properly centered :)