Identify this tool

fdavcz.jpg

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Are you testing us or asking?

At any rate, it's the universal drop key to open a sliding elevator door from the outside without the car being there.

The elevator door that it opens will have a circular hole in the elevator lobby side, you feed the key in, the pivoting part falls down and then you can turn it to catch a lever and release the elevator door interlock. Voila, the door opens!

Some brands have more specialized keys, with fobby things at the end of the pivoting part, like GAL and Otis, and there are also crescent-shaped ones (instead of round).

So what's the prize?!!? (I've already got a key, so a P1D would be nice...)

cheers
daloosh

daloosh said:
Are you testing us or asking?

At any rate, it's the universal drop key to open a sliding elevator door from the outside without the car being there.

The elevator door that it opens will have a circular hole in the elevator lobby side, you feed the key in, the pivoting part falls down and then you can turn it to catch a lever and release the elevator door interlock. Voila, the door opens!

Some brands have more specialized keys, with fobby things at the end of the pivoting part, like GAL and Otis, and there are also crescent-shaped ones (instead of round).

So what's the prize?!!? (I've already got a key, so a P1D would be nice...)

cheers
daloosh

Just a fun little quiz. I'm surprised it was solved so fast. It didn't even last an hour.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Handlobraesing said:
Just a fun little quiz. I'm surprised it was solved so fast. It didn't even last an hour.
Well, it certainly was fun! I haven't seen or used mine in years, tho I read somewhere that people were more careful with them once kids started elevator surfing. I think it's at the bottom of one of the toolboxes, or maybe in my locks and keys kit.

That clamptite gadget is interesting. Not much call for regular clamping around our house, but I can think of times it would be useful!

daloosh