ARC- AAA Accessory Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Even though I've only been involved with CPF for a few months, it's quite clear that there are many talented folks out here that look for MODS and Accessories to build.

What I'm interested in is a "beamfilter" for the ARC-AAA similar to what's available for the various SureFire lights. I always carry a white and turquiose ARC-AAA with me. What would be nice is if I could carry just the white light and a blue or red or yellow or etc "beamfilter" that I could put onto the end of the AAA for those times that a different color is needed.

Any ideas?

Darell

Flashaholic
Actually, the first thing that comes to my mind is that filtering an LED removes one of the great benefits of LEDs - and that is *unfiltered* colors. Adding a filter to a light source sucks up a significant amount of light energy. Using a colored LED is probably the most efficient way to get different colors of light. BUT, if light intensity isn't an issue, then there certainly is nothing to keep you for fashoning a little beamshaper out of a vinyl door-stop bumper (vinyl endcap) and some cellophane.

** edit - I meant punching a hole in the endcap as mentioned below. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough. The hole, over the LED, would be where the cellophane would go. OK, pretty obvious.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I've already made a "beam-smoother" for mine,

heres what you need Vinyl end cap
4601.jpg

The same size as the arc diameter. Ask the computer guys at work. They use these to cover the fiber obtic connections where I work.

Now drill out a hole in the end a little smaller to leave a lip. Now you need to look around for various coolored bits of plastic. I found a translucent piece from a "flexable cutting board" but the bottle that rubbing alcohol comes in will work to. Or find clear plastic and apply scotch tape for a beam soother, clear red tap and yellow tape is available too. cut out a piece the diameter of the arc. Slip it on the head then slide the vinal end cap with the hole cut out over it.
grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cave dave:

Now drill out a hole in the end a little smaller to leave a lip. Now you need to look around for various coolored bits of plastic.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Home Depot also sells these caps and 1/2" ID is a common size. The knurl on the Arc will give you a good tight fit. If you want a myriad of choices in filters, finagle (sp?) a gell filter sample kit from Lee Filters or one of their dealers. These gels come in a bunch of colors and are designed to take the heat and UV from lights. The sample kit has rectangles about 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" and can provide you with quite a few filters. A piece of 1/2" OD thin wall tubing can be sharpened on a grinder and makes a simple punch for making your filters.

As Darell pointed out, You will be keeping a bunch of photons from getting out to play.

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
As Darell pointed out, You will be keeping a bunch of photons from getting out to play.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa. Had to read that three times. I'm sure Don meant the "particle of light" photons, not the little "keychain light" Photons.

Here I was wondering why you wouldn't let your Photons out to play once you'd put your prophyactic device on your Arc. OK, I get it now.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.