3W MXDL Cree P4-WD Flashlight From DX

lightbug

Enlightened
Just received this cheap $13 cree light from DealExtrem.com.. The output is pretty impressive. Not a good candidate for white wall hunters since it has the big ugly ring. After I lubricated the threads and applied 3 layers of teflon tape to it, the twisty switch is smooth like silk. The tefon tape also prevent the light from goes ON when you accidentaly press down the bezel.

Let me list out what I like and dislike about this light.

Pros:
Takes 3.6V RCR123 Li-ion and regular CR123
Identical length as my Fenix p1
Very easy to twist on and off
Threads are even and smooth
Nice looking shape and feels sturdy in hand
As bright as my Ultrafire C2 3W Cree (85 to 90 Lumens)
Throws pretty well (It has a very bright hot spot)
It can tail stand
Single mode (No more twist on and off to get the level you want)
Last but not least, it is dirt cheap for only $13 shipped

Cons:
Ugly dark ring in the beam
Some dirt particles on reflector (dried glue?!)
Not HA III
Run time is less than 1 hour on RCR123

Overall, I love this light. It probably going to be my new EDC! :grin2:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1996

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded one of these myself from the Stock MXDL 3W. I used it as a host for an ugly-tinted LED that I pulled out of one of my better flashlights. Also, on a fresh rechargeable, it's much brighter than an ultrafire C2.

One good point worth noting is that the light is not direct drive -- so the brightness is still acceptable running on primaries, and the LED won't be overdriven with a fresh RCR123, but brightness isn't perfecly regulated -- it will still go down somewhat throughout the runtime, just not as severely as a direct drive setup.

Last edited:

lightbug

Enlightened
Hi 2xTrinity,

You are correct with MXDL brighter than the Ultrafire C2. I just took a picture and compared side by side, the 3W MXDL is definitely brighter.

3w MXDL with Cree Vs. Ultrafire C2 with Cree

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update abvidledUK, looks like a decent upgrade option for those not wanting to mod themselves. Although I hope they thought to use some sort of thermal compound this time (my lux clone model was bone dry under the emitter board).

FYI, the SSC mod I did resulted in almost 3X the output of the stock lux clone model (and bonus: no rings!).

The more I play with this little light, the more I like it.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
LGCubana said:
Wouldn't the Teflon taped threads interfere with the negative conductivity ?

Not really. The negative contact is not via threads but via the edge of the battery tube hitting the outer (middle circle?) area of the converter board. The positive tip of the battery is always in contact with the positive center of the converter board. The converter board is insulated on the edge. It is a pretty clever design but the tolerances have to be high enough to prevent outer area of the converter board shorting through the thin insulator ring.

This design prevents the battery rattle and allows different battery heights and prevent punctured batteries. Contrast this with the Arc AAA design to understand the differences in the switching mechanism.

- Vikas

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
selfbuilt said:
Thanks for the update abvidledUK, looks like a decent upgrade option for those not wanting to mod themselves. Although I hope they thought to use some sort of thermal compound this time (my lux clone model was bone dry under the emitter board).

FYI, the SSC mod I did resulted in almost 3X the output of the stock lux clone model (and bonus: no rings!).

The more I play with this little light, the more I like it.

Yes, I saw that, nice.

I did wonder at the time if you could have just mounted the SSC directly onto the upturned original LED circuit board for heat dissipation.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
This has nothing to do with this LED light but did anybody notice one of the unusual item on DX which just "popped up"? I can't wait for somebody to do a proper review with all the "headlight" shots and all :) May be I should buy one and drop ship to Craig :) :)

- Vikas

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
lightbug said:
Hi 2xTrinity,

You are correct with MXDL brighter than the Ultrafire C2. I just took a picture and compared side by side, the 3W MXDL is definitely brighter.

3w MXDL with Cree Vs. Ultrafire C2 with Cree

How could this be possible? Oh noess.

How can (1) CR123 light beat a 18650 light?

Can any other CPF members confirm this?

lightbug

Enlightened
Hey beefy6969, I thought the picture is worth 1,000 words? LOL

Anyway, I have tried both protected and non-protected 18650 battery in my Ultrafire C2 with similar outcome brightness. Howerver, comparing to my 3w MXDL cree, it is still little bit dimmer.

itch808

Newly Enlightened
lightbug said:
Anyway, I have tried both protected and non-protected 18650 battery in my Ultrafire C2 with similar outcome brightness. Howerver, comparing to my 3w MXDL cree, it is still little bit dimmer.

That's crazy....but good to hear at the sametime since I have one coming :rock:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
How could this be possible? Oh noess.

How can (1) CR123 light beat a 18650 light?

Can any other CPF members confirm this?
The Ultrafire C2 works best from 2RCR123s as it uses a voltage step-down circuit giving excellent regulation throughout the entire runtime (constant 4.5W or so from the batteries measured at the tailcap with both 3.0V primary, and 3.6V rechargeable). 18650 will draw significantly less, more like 2-2.5 watts depending on how fresh the cell is, but it will run for a lot longer.

The tiny MXDL light is bright on 3.6V LiIon, but will go through the entire battery capcaity in short order. 3.0V Primary is what I run mine on, not as bright, but still somewhat stepped up by the driver circuit, and a lot longer/more consistent runtime.

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested but it says the item is unavailable or sold out. Anyone have any idea if they are coming back instock?

conor

Newly Enlightened
I'm still waiting for mine =(

Order: 03162311 placed on 3/16/2007 8:54:44 PM
Received - waiting to get packaged (step 2/4).
see all processing steps
Shipment:
by Air Mail

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I received mine yesterday. I agree with the assessment made by the original poster.

With somewhat worn primary CR123 it has nice warm white and decent output. With RCR123 it takes on completely different personality. The output becomes insanely bright with no trace of yellow anywhere. This is the brightest light that I have from the 25 odd lights that I own. It is even brighter than my S1801 mod. The threads unfortunately are chewed up. The black non-cree version I had purchased from KD had better threads but I like the titanium color of the cree version. Mine reflector coating is scratched but it does not affect the beam. It is well centered and focused and I am happy with white wall hunting with mine. If I turn on this light in a decent size room, you literally see a wall of light. It has extremely bright and large hospot with still great side spill.

Frankly, after buying lights after lights from DX and KD, I seemed to have landed on phenomenal deal with this light. I still have Rexlight and Jetbeam CL-E on order but I am not sure either of the light would be able to beat this one for the brightness and wow effect.

One of the factor though is the RCR123 charger and the pair of batteries which is required to bring out the full potential of this light. I am resisting to make a similar jump to 14450 system for Rexlight and/or Jetbeam. But we will see :)

Getting back to this $13 light, it is too bright. It really needs a two-stage switching mechanism.
Putting a fauxton light on the lanyard would be a ghetto solution to that problem.

If you have RCR123 system, you absolutely need to pick this light. If you don't have RCR123 system yet, what are you waiting for ????

- Vikas

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
If you have RCR123 system, you absolutely need to pick this light. If you don't have RCR123 system yet, what are you waiting for ????

- Vikas
What would be a reasonably good RCR123 system? Anyone can recommend a favorite? TIA

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I picked up mine from DX. Make sure you pick up 3.6V Nano charger.

0722 LIR-3.6V-CR123A-RECHARGEABLE-PURPLE-2PACK $2.50 $1.24shipping
0998 Nano Li-Ion Single CR123A Charger $3.95 $1.52shipping

Under $10 shipped, how can you go wrong??

- Vikas