Just got a new keychain LED light .. is there a way to mod it with a higher power LED

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, I just got this new LED keychain as a gift from some friends for my birthday and it came with a card with tools built in. The keychain light is http://www.toollogic.com/techlite.htm and it appears to have some kind of chip in there for regulation or something. When I turned it on it wasn't too bright but is there a way to change the LED out with a higher powered one or would the circuit not allow that?

Oh and I just measured the LED and it is a 5mm LED. There are 2 3V cr1216 batteries inside that powers it. I cant really make out anything on the circuit other than some hard black goop that covers the middle of it. I just measured the current draw from the batteries and it comes in at a measly 2.5mA and the batteries are about 5.6V combined and the voltage to the LEDs is 2.8V. It appears that it just halves the voltage. with this terrible current draw, would I be able to get anything decently bright in there?

Last edited: