Source for custom Headlamp

Donald1800

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a viable source for a custom headlamp using a 3" adjustable reflector for spot and flood , SSC P4 emitter, two power level switch with current regulators/drivers, and powered by belt pouch with 4 'D' cells?

Donald

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I don't know if I've seen a 3" reflector on a modern headlamp before. :confused: Not sure about a good spot to flood feature either.
There are a couple people around here that mod stock headlamps to SSC's, but for what you're suggesting I have no idea truthfully.

mrme

Enlightened
Is there some reason you want this specialy headlamp?
How much are you willing to spend?

The only host light I can think of with a reflector about that size worth messing with is the Petzl Zoom. It is robust and pretty easy to work with. The reflectors is not textured, so the throw is great, but up close can have some artifacts. I don't know how well it would work with an LED since the beam pattern is so much different from an incadescent.

It would require an external switch. Do you have a specific type in mind?

Do you have a specific regulator in mind?
A heat sink might be a good idea to keep the LED cool.

Donald1800

Newly Enlightened
I'll be taking delivery soon of an ElectroLumen 'P4 Longthrow' flashlight @ $150. I've asked Wayne if he would be interested in making a Headlamp version for me, but this is not his interest and will most likely decline. I won't hear from him about this until he gets back in town.

My reason for wanting this is to have the same capability in a headlamp as in my handheld for ALL Hands-Free' applications - whether exploring caves/mines or dressing and hauling out deer after nightfall. The 3" 'parabolic' (not flat) reflector provides optimum collection of the P4 emitted light and providing the absolute longest light throw with this emitter.

Regarding the switch and regulator, see my post under 'LED', 'Source for Dual Power Level Converter' around page 2. So far, I haven't received any positive replies. Nobody seems to have designed this type of regulator/driver. This is strange to me as an obvious need - maximum battery life for close up/wide angle work, and maximum illumination for focused distance viewing.

Donald

Last edited:

Donald1800

Newly Enlightened
I really find it hard to believe that after over 150 views that no one can recommend a source. Does this mean that there are NO INDIVIDUALS out there that build custom headlamps like we have for flashlights? That doesn't sound right to me! Surely there is at least one?

Donald

TMorita

Enlightened
The BOM for something like this would be:

Petzl Zoom: $40
4D battery pack: $15
P4 emitter: $10
Converter: $40
Switch: $5

So it'd be about $110 for major parts alone. That's not counting extra wire, parts for the PR bulb conversion, thermal epoxy, solder, etc. not to mention about six hours of labor.

If you offered $200, someone might accept the job just for fun.

Toshi

Donald1800

Newly Enlightened
TMorita:

I appreciate your response. The reason I didn't jump at the original Petzel Zoom suggestion is that it appears to have a reflector much smaller than 3" and it also appears to have a conical reflector rather than parabolic. And since I was really looking for a "Custom" headlamp rather than a retrofitted off-the-shelf headlamp that didn't appear (at first glance) to have the potential for what I wanted, the suggestion didn't ring my chimes.

Your business approach is also alien to me. It has been my experience with over 40 years of ordering items/products specially made to my specifications that the sources interested in the project usually inquires with additional questions needed to clarify my needs, and then THEY propose a price. Sometimes I accept the initial price quote because I recognize that it is a fair or better price for what I am getting - an excellent current example of this is the recent purchase of the above mentioned ElectroLumine P4 Longthrow flashlight - other times I renegotiate the requirements/price before agreeing. Your approach indicates that you are not really interested in the project per se, but would be interested in getting some money if I offer enough. NOT a good justification for pursuing this business approach. I'm not interested in making a financial offer. I say what I want, you say what you want to do it. If it is fair or better, we agree and proceed from there.

Donald

TMorita

Enlightened
Donald1800 said:
TMorita:

Your approach indicates that you are not really interested in the project per se, but would be interested in getting some money if I offer enough.
Donald

No, I'm not interested in doing this project. Maybe that's why it seems alien.

Just trying to provide guidance to a person whose queries have generated no responses.

Toshi

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
reason for no response is nature of your request. which is uncommon for a headlamp. your specified form factor can be done, but not sure why you want this config.

please consider Stenlight which is designed to accept an external pack. it's easily modded to accept SSC P4.

for high powered headlamp applications, do a search for biking headlamps. I've got two HID headlamps powered by external packs. ARC HID and Niterider HID storm. bad news is they are $400 range ea

do a google search and you'll find all sorts of info

almost forgot... seems streamlight, eveready or someone makes a cheap head lamp driven by a 4D belt pack. that might be the cheapest way to find a suitable host for your mod. seems reflector was aprox. 2in, still quite large. uses an incand bulb. stock.

Donald1800 said:
TMorita:

I appreciate your response. The reason I didn't jump at the original Petzel Zoom suggestion is that it appears to have a reflector much smaller than 3" and it also appears to have a conical reflector rather than parabolic. And since I was really looking for a "Custom" headlamp rather than a retrofitted off-the-shelf headlamp that didn't appear (at first glance) to have the potential for what I wanted, the suggestion didn't ring my chimes.

Your business approach is also alien to me. It has been my experience with over 40 years of ordering items/products specially made to my specifications that the sources interested in the project usually inquires with additional questions needed to clarify my needs, and then THEY propose a price. Sometimes I accept the initial price quote because I recognize that it is a fair or better price for what I am getting - an excellent current example of this is the recent purchase of the above mentioned ElectroLumine P4 Longthrow flashlight - other times I renegotiate the requirements/price before agreeing. Your approach indicates that you are not really interested in the project per se, but would be interested in getting some money if I offer enough. NOT a good justification for pursuing this business approach. I'm not interested in making a financial offer. I say what I want, you say what you want to do it. If it is fair or better, we agree and proceed from there.

Donald

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
cy said:
reason for no response is nature of your request. which is uncommon for a headlamp. your specified form factor can be done, but not sure why you want this config.

I agree with this. The requirement for a 3" reflector is strange. It's like mounting a watermelon on your head - it is so huge it will always be bumping into things (especially for caving) and the weight of it will be very noticeable.

Toshi